ADVERTISEMENT

Turnovers and the resulting drives

Herky T Hawk

HR Heisman
Feb 5, 2003
  1. Fumbled punt return, Iowa recovers at the Illinois 35 yard line. Result, Iowa punts from the Illinois 41 yard line. Loss of 6 yards
  2. Fumbled catch recovered by Iowa at the Illinois 5 yard line. Result, Iowa kicks a field goal from the Illinois 9 yard line. Loss of 4 yards, but would have been worse as Illinois gave back 5 yards on a penalty when we were lined up to kick from the 14 yard line.
  3. Interception at the Iowa 1 yard line, Result, Iowa punts from their 6 yard line. Gain of 5 yards. Illinois gets the ball with short field position because Tory was punting from the back of the endzone and gains a mere 24 yards for the game winning field goal.
Three turnovers and we gain a total net of -5 yards off of them and it could have been worse if not for the aforementioned Illinois penalty on 4th down that didn’t matter to them. This would be like a basketball team forcing 20 turnovers and getting 6 points off of them.

How long before the defense quits? I know these guys are competitors but how much can you seriously put your body on the line when that is what happens for the great things you do for the team?

How long before the defense quits? I know these guys are competitors but how much can you seriously put your body on the line when that is what happens for the great things you do for the team?
I wouldn't be at all surprised if the entire defense gave brian a "blanket party" tonight

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
The first play after Campbell’s fumbled punt recovery was Spence timing the snap perfectly with the blitzing Illini LB’er.

Reactions: unclesammy
  1. Fumbled punt return, Iowa recovers at the Illinois 35 yard line. Result, Iowa punts from the Illinois 41 yard line. Loss of 6 yards
  2. Fumbled catch recovered by Iowa at the Illinois 5 yard line. Result, Iowa kicks a field goal from the Illinois 9 yard line. Loss of 4 yards, but would have been worse as Illinois gave back 5 yards on a penalty when we were lined up to kick from the 14 yard line.
  3. Interception at the Iowa 1 yard line, Result, Iowa punts from their 6 yard line. Gain of 5 yards. Illinois gets the ball with short field position because Tory was punting from the back of the endzone and gains a mere 24 yards for the game winning field goal.
Three turnovers and we gain a total net of -5 yards off of them and it could have been worse if not for the aforementioned Illinois penalty on 4th down that didn’t matter to them. This would be like a basketball team forcing 20 turnovers and getting 6 points off of them.

That is rather PATHETIC- JHC… I am definitely having nightmares tonight and the entire 3 weeks a head as I think an ass pounding is coming from the mighty Buckeyes - time to go under anesthesia for a month- sheeet the rest of this god forsaken year

Despite the brave face Iowa's players are showing publicly, it's pretty tough to imagine there isn't significant grumbling on the defense and special teams, both of which actually do give Iowa a chance to win every week . . . with the exception of the visit to Columbus, of course. If KF had any empathy for his team, he'd declare a team-wide COVID outbreak and forfeit instead of getting humiliated 72-0.

It was my misfortune to play on some football teams that had good to great defenses and nonexistent offenses. It didn't take long for that to get old. Fighting your heart out on D knowing that your offense can't even mount a TD drive from the opponent's five yard line cannot persist for a 12-game season. As a competitor, you want to stop the other team, but your logical mind tells you it doesn't make sense because it won't accomplish anything. So after the inevitable destruction at Ohio State, let's see how these Hawkeyes stick together. I'm thinkin' it ain't gonna be pretty.

Ohio State in two weeks.

ADVERTISEMENT