ADVERTISEMENT

Turns Out Apple, Google & Microsoft Make More $ Than Exxon and God

West Dundee Hawkeye

HR All-American
Sep 28, 2003
Exxon Mobil (Ticker: XOM) is expected to generate about $41 billion of net income in 2022,

On profits, Apple is by far the champ. It is expected to earn $100 billion this fiscal year, followed by Google parent Alphabet at $73 billion, Microsoft at $70 billion and JP Morgan at $60 billion.

Biden's advisors need to give better advice to the Pres.

These are all public companies. Anyone that owns stocks probably have some of all of them.

Hard working men & women have these stocks in their 401k. Management is working to improve profit so their shareholders do well.

That makes them scum of the earth?

These are all public companies. Anyone that owns stocks probably have some of all of them.

Hard working men & women have these stocks in their 401k. Management is working to improve profit so their shareholders do well.

The amount of stock held by working people through their retirement accounts and 401k's in these companies is likely dwarfed by the amount held by the top people in the company and the investor class.

Exxon Mobil (Ticker: XOM) is expected to generate about $41 billion of net income in 2022,

On profits, Apple is by far the champ. It is expected to earn $100 billion this fiscal year, followed by Google parent Alphabet at $73 billion, Microsoft at $70 billion and JP Morgan at $60 billion.

Biden's advisors need to give better advice to the Pres.

Do you want the government to intervene in how much Apple charges for an iPhone or Microsoft charges for their software? Fairly or unfairly, the prices of gasoline is a major talking point in the USA as we love our cars. We also love our phones, but the prices do not fluctuate as much as gas prices and I have not seen the government blamed about the prices on them as they are with gas prices so you are not making a poor comparison.

Reactions: 86Hawkeye
Maximizing profit is their job.
Which is also why you have such wage inequality between the top and the bottom.

I believe this is why American is headed downhill so rapidly. Corporations are willing to ship all the jobs overseas to maximixe profits, but in the process they are ruining the environment (china does not have the same environmental standards), employing abusive labor, increasing unemployment in the usa.

So the question is, what are the corporations willing to sacrifice to maximize those profits. Would you rather have Microsoft, exxon, etc all with ridiculous profits and the ceo making 60mil per year, or would you rather have happy and healthy people in America?

Its not possible for this country to have both. I think the current state of our country proves that a money first system doesn't work. This is why we are sold drugs from pharm that dont work, or insulin is so expensive that people cant afford it, why we have the opioid epidemic, why people are shooting up schools, and the list goes on.

So yeah, profit at all cost is not good for the people. There is no room for ethical decisions when profit is the only driving force.

• Love
Reactions: nelly02

They’re greedy corporations who don’t care about anyone or anything . Why is this hard to understand? Quit rationalizing the evil disgusting nature of capitalism on our society.

Reactions: nelly02
They’re greedy corporations who don’t care about anyone or anything . Why is this hard to understand? Quit rationalizing the evil disgusting nature of capitalism on our society.

Rationalizing? I'm not rationalizing, I'm explaining it. "Corporations" are simply emotionless entities. Human beings make all the decisions.

You and I have no idea what is in the minds of the Board and Management as they go about their jobs. But, maximizing profit is a big part of what they were hired to do. If they don't do it well, they will be replaced by someone who can.

Capitalism (like Democracy) is a terrible economic model, but it's better than all the rest.

BTW - Apple just donated $1 million to a park project near my son's home in Waukee.

The amount of stock held by working people through their retirement accounts and 401k's in these companies is likely dwarfed by the amount held by the top people in the company and the investor class.
Of course, but even if you only own $1,000, wouldn't you like the stock price to go up?

So you are more worried about the wealth of others than your own?

if you go through life comparing yourself to everybody else you will never be happy.

if it takes a long time to save up X amount of dollars X is a lot of money to that person.

X varies person to person.

So you are more worried about the wealth of others than your own?

if you go through life comparing yourself to everybody else you will never be happy.

if it takes a long time to save up X amount of dollars X is a lot of money to that person.

X varies person to person.

I would rather working people in general had high wages since that is how they will earn the majority of their money in life. Not through stocks in their retirement account.

This is why the investor class has been controlling a larger and larger portion of the country's wealth. By convincing you that the pittance you gain in stock value going up is worth them paying everyone bottom floor wages which in turn generally leads to you working for low wages.

Do you want the government to intervene in how much Apple charges for an iPhone or Microsoft charges for their software? Fairly or unfairly, the prices of gasoline is a major talking point in the USA as we love our cars. We also love our phones, but the prices do not fluctuate as much as gas prices and I have not seen the government blamed about the prices on them as they are with gas prices so you are not making a poor comparison.
Not at all. You are missing my point. Exxon is not the big bad corporation that it is portrayed to be by the Progressives.

I would rather working people in general had high wages since that is how they will earn the majority of their money in life. Not through stocks in their retirement account.

This is why the investor class has been controlling a larger and larger portion of the country's wealth. By convincing you that the pittance you gain in stock value going up is worth them paying everyone bottom floor wages which in turn generally leads to you working for low wages.
Wtf?

retirement is based on growth of investment. Which is why you need to start early.

shoving shit under the mattress isn’t going to work.

you should probably flip to the end of your book and just become a communist.

Which is also why you have such wage inequality between the top and the bottom.

I believe this is why American is headed downhill so rapidly. Corporations are willing to ship all the jobs overseas to maximixe profits, but in the process they are ruining the environment (china does not have the same environmental standards), employing abusive labor, increasing unemployment in the usa.

So the question is, what are the corporations willing to sacrifice to maximize those profits. Would you rather have Microsoft, exxon, etc all with ridiculous profits and the ceo making 60mil per year, or would you rather have happy and healthy people in America?

Its not possible for this country to have both. I think the current state of our country proves that a money first system doesn't work. This is why we are sold drugs from pharm that dont work, or insulin is so expensive that people cant afford it, why we have the opioid epidemic, why people are shooting up schools, and the list goes on.

So yeah, profit at all cost is not good for the people. There is no room for ethical decisions when profit is the only driving force.
Corporations can not find employees here, or at least ones that want to go into an office.

Yes, that does sound better. But -

Each person in the job market gets to make that value decision every day. Apple, for example, pays wages and benefits that they feel are necessary to attract and retain the caliber of employee they need, all 154,000 of them. If they can't get the employees they need, it forces wages and benefits to go up.

If you are shopping for tires for your car you look for the quality and price that suits you. Once you've found the tires you like and find out it's $1,000, do you decide to pay them $1,100 just to be nice? Or do you shop around and see of you can get them for less than $1,000? If you decide to buy them from someone that will sell them to you for $950, does that make you evil and greedy?

Apple is worth $2 trillion. The $100 billion profit is 5% of their value. If the tire store is worth $1 million, would you begrudge them for earning $50,000?

Apple is worth $2 trillion. The $100 billion profit is 5% of their value. If the tire store is worth $1 million, would you begrudge them for earning $50,000?

I like you post generally. But this last part is not really “Return on Investment”.

Apple’s market capitalization (share price times number of shares) is $2 T, but it’s invested capital is nowhere near $2 T. Now, maybe the tire store can be sold for $1 M, but Apple cannot be sold for $2 T.

Yes, that does sound better. But -

Each person in the job market gets to make that value decision every day. Apple, for example, pays wages and benefits that they feel are necessary to attract and retain the caliber of employee they need, all 154,000 of them. If they can't get the employees they need, it forces wages and benefits to go up.

If you are shopping for tires for your car you look for the quality and price that suits you. Once you've found the tires you like and find out it's $1,000, do you decide to pay them $1,100 just to be nice? Or do you shop around and see of you can get them for less than $1,000? If you decide to buy them from someone that will sell them to you for $950, does that make you evil and greedy?

Apple's 2 trillion valuation is it's M-cap valuation. Your tire store's valuation is going to be based on book value.

I like you post generally. But this last part is not really “Return on Investment”.

Apple’s market capitalization (share price times number of shares) is $2 T, but it’s invested capital is nowhere near $2 T. Now, maybe the tire store can be sold for $1 M, but Apple cannot be sold for $2 T.
Apple's 2 trillion valuation is it's M-cap valuation. Your tire store's valuation is going to be based on book value.

Gonna need some help here. If the market cap is $2 T, hasn't it already been sold for $2 T?

And the tire store will be valued based on it's discounted cash flow. Selling at book vale means there is no intangible value to the business.

Gonna need some help here. If the market cap is $2 T, hasn't it already been sold for $2 T?

No. It means some share sold for a value that makes all shares equal to that value. You could have a company with two shares. One just sold for $1. So market cap is $2. Then the next minute the other share sells for $1T. So now the market cap is $2T.

No. It means some share sold for a value that makes all shares equal to that value. You could have a company with two shares. One just sold for $1. So market cap is $2. Then the next minute the other share sells for $1T. So now the market cap is $2T.
True. It was incorrect to say it had "already" sold for $2 T.

But if one share sold for $1, and the next share sold for $2 (assuming arms length willing buyer/seller etc) why isn't the company now worth $4? The 2nd guy must have assumed it was since he paid $2 for 50% of the company.

Obviously, if someone were to buy Apple, they wouldn't just pay market cap. They would do an incredibly deep dive into every facet of the company, prepare financial projections, look at emerging products, etc, etc, etc.

Market cap seems to me to be a more accurate an indication of value that any other simplistic approach.

Not at all. You are missing my point. Exxon is not the big bad corporation that it is portrayed to be by the Progressives.

I do agree that Exxon is not the big bad corporation that Progressives portray them to be as they are just doing what all public companies do to try and maximize profits and stock price. That being said, there are many Conservatives on this board blaming Biden for gas prices. As usual the truth is somewhere in between.

ADVERTISEMENT