ADVERTISEMENT

Twin Towers part deux

szohn

HB All-State
Gold Member
Feb 4, 2004
Not sure if I’m to old or not old enough ; Steve Waite and Steve Krafcism (please excuse any spelling or memory errors) were the original twin towers.
I‘m feeling the Murray twins will be the greatest Hawk TWIN Towers ever. Certainly the greatest twins, the future looks very bright.
Anyone else see the OTs in the Fieldhouse?
GO HAWKS !!!

Not sure if I’m to old or not old enough ; Steve Waite and Steve Krafcism (please excuse any spelling or memory errors) were the original twin towers.
I‘m feeling the Murray twins will be the greatest Hawk TWIN Towers ever. Certainly the greatest twins, the future looks very bright.
GO HAWKS !!!
Well they are Twins, towers not so much. Yes, they will be fun to watch.

Iowa Wrestling had Tom and Terry Brands and Troy and Terry Steiner as sets of Twins, and they were all outstanding. Hopefully it works out that well for the Murray boys in Basketball. :)

GO HAWKS !!!
200.gif

Some one correct me here but I think Krafcisin started and Waite relieved him? With Stokes and Payne they played together with Stokes the 5 and Payne the 4. Do I have that right? My memory is foggy.

GTown game box below
https%3A%2F%2Fimages.saymedia-content.com%2F.image%2FMTcxMTgxNTMwMjcyNTA3NDY0%2Fscreen-shot-2020-03-16-at-14743-pm.png

Some one correct me here but I think Krafcisin started and Waite relieved him? With Stokes and Payne they played together with Stokes the 5 and Payne the 4. Do I have that right? My memory is foggy.

GTown game box below
https%3A%2F%2Fimages.saymedia-content.com%2F.image%2FMTcxMTgxNTMwMjcyNTA3NDY0%2Fscreen-shot-2020-03-16-at-14743-pm.png
I don't recall it that way. I think K was #5 and W was #4

Reactions: Mohawkeye

GTown game box below
If I’m reading it correctly, Waite played one more minute than Special K. I realize that means very little what with foul trouble etc, but also vaguely recall them playing together. Was 12 when that game was played. Listened to it on a transistor radio while playing pickup with friends.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
My favorite Iowa twin towers is Luka Garza and whoever on the court with him happens to be over 6’9”.
And while not having the Murray boys’ biological twin-ness (?), Luka and the recent and continuing improvement of Nunge, that there is today’s twin towers.

In the late 70's, Hawkeye football had twin brothers Kent and Kevin Ellis, defensive backs from DeWitt.

During the '82-83 hoop season, Brad Lohaus and Jerry Dennard looked like twin towers.

• Haha
Reactions: szohn
During Michael Payne's freshmen year he played mostly the center position with his back to the basket as he did at Quincy High School and averaged in double figures. Stokes backed him up. It was during their sophomore season that Greg Stokes became a starter at center and Payne was moved to power forward a position that Payne wasn't familiar with and was never the same player facing the basket.
They were both exceptional players but while Stokes was more equipped to play center and became all Big Ten, Payne never seemed to grow into the power forward position.

I know most won't remember the Van Arsdale twins, Tom and Dick, who played for Indiana from '63 - '65.

1965 - Tom 18.4 points & 8.5 rebounds
Dick 17.2 points & 8.7 rebounds
1964 - Tom 21.3 points & 12.3 rebounds
Dick 22.3 points & 12.4 rebounds
1963 - Tom 12.5 points & 9.3 rebounds
Dick 12.2 points & 8.9 rebounds

They both had 11 year NBA careers and each averaged about 16 points and 5 rebounds a year over that 11 year span...
Indiana never finished better than 9 - 5 with 3 NBA starters...

Iowa Wrestling had Tom and Terry Brands and Troy and Terry Steiner as sets of Twins, and they were all outstanding. Hopefully it works out that well for the Murray boys in Basketball. :)

Ed and Lou Banach and the Paulson twins in football

Last edited:
Reactions: Tunadog
Ed and Lou Banach and the Paulson twins in football
Forgot the Banachs were twins.
Landan and Levi Paulsen were indeed twins for Iowa Football.

There were some Paulson's who wrestled at Iowa State that were twins, Trent and Travis.

The 1988 Milwaukee Bucks featured the quintuple towers of Randy Breuer, Larry Krystowiak, Paul Mokeski, Fred Roberts, and Jack Sikma

GTown game box below
Twin towers or not the 2nd half of that Georgetown game was one of the greatest 20 minutes in Iowa basketball.

Reactions: szohn and Tunadog
During Michael Payne's freshmen year he played mostly the center position with his back to the basket as he did at Quincy High School and averaged in double figures. Stokes backed him up. It was during their sophomore season that Greg Stokes became a starter at center and Payne was moved to power forward a position that Payne wasn't familiar with and was never the same player facing the basket.
They were both exceptional players but while Stokes was more equipped to play center and became all Big Ten, Payne never seemed to grow into the power forward position.
I’d say by his senior year he did. Really put on some muscle and developed a nice 18 foot shot.

6'8 to 6'9" but I wonder if they're still growing? Kenyon mentioned they have 6'11" somewhere in the family.

Reactions: T. Kimball
I just remember that Michael Payne's numbers could have been much higher if he had hit half the bunnies that rolled off the rim for him.

Any idea where any of the 4 are these days? Those pictures of the Field House bring back such wonderful memories. Sorry for the high jack.

The fieldhouse was a trip even in the blocked vision seats!
Great games with great Hawkeyes
A lot of the old fieldhouse was built of recycled beams and girders from the old Iowa football field on the east side of the river ( where EPB & Main Library stand today ) as Kinnick was being built at the same time. Athletic departments were a little more frugal at the time...

Reactions: SoFla-Hawkeye
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT