ADVERTISEMENT

Twitter ‘will need to be extremely hardcore,’ Musk says, telling staff to sign pledge or leave

I hope this message reaches the right people. You do not have to be Elon’s flying monkey.

R.c8baff74afff96271fcab03d5d0a5585

Jeffery Epstein died years ago, and the FTX is pretty interesting. Alas, we are human and we can be annoyed with many things, the unmeasurable amount of rage per thing doesn’t really matter unless you want to defend the richest bro in the world. Let that sink in.

How about it is less about defending Elon and more about being bothered by the countless lies, distortions, and hatred thrown his way? Is it okay to be annoyed by that?

How about it is less about defending Elon and more about being bothered by the countless lies, distortions, and hatred thrown his way? Is it okay to be annoyed by that?
I don't get why anyone else's opinion about some guy you've (presumably) never met would have any impact on you at all?

It's all just mindless entertainment, including bashing Elon/Twitter.

If it crashes I'm sure I'll find other ways to get sports news, funny memes, and cute animal videos. If it doesn't, I'll keep checking Twitter for those things.

And it's still entertaining to me that Elon buys a company and immediately starts getting rid of a bunch of people, seemingly before he knows what they do, and what he needs.

You've got to be kidding. You think Amazon cutting 10,000 workers out of a force of over 1.5M garners as much attention as one of the world's richest people taking over an iconic brand, cutting at least half it's workforce, losing many significant sources of revenue, and losing substantial market value? Really?

GTFO
The “Tech Layoff” story is (for now) a joke. AMZN has hired almost 500k people since the beginning of COVID, so this is a 2% reduction from their increase after March 2020. Facebook is still up about 35k workers since 2020.

The FTX meltdown is flashy, but relatively small impact. Even if it spills over to Binance and Coinbase, the economic hit is less than what GOOG or AAPL have shed this year.

I don't get why anyone else's opinion about some guy you've (presumably) never met would have any impact on you at all?

I care about Tesla and its mission. I care about a future where the planet is habitable. I care about clean drinking water, what happened in Flint was absolutely ****ing vile and beneath us as a species. Fossil fuels pollute our water sources. and those sources for the animals on this planet. They are gravely affected too. I care about clean air that we breathe into our lungs that causes disease and death. CO2 levels are rising, our brains are shrinking, we are all becoming dumber, generation by generation, thanks in part to climate change. Something like 20% of the Earth’s population lives at sea level, this is problematic and suggests a future of great displacement and suffering.

I get most people can’t see past their own nose but I do care that my child has a future worth living. You are free to not give a shit. That is your right.

This proves intent. The only place to get real up to date and factual reporting on FTX is Twitter.

Are there people who are doubting that this is likely one of the biggest fraud cases in history? Maybe I don't hang out in the corners of the internet where there are FTX-deniers, but it seems pretty clear so far (from the little I've seen/read).

The issue is that forensic financial investigations aren't nearly as sexy during the process - only at the end when the full scope/impact are presented. Conversely, a guy buying a large social media company and then appearing to set fire to the place in order to show that he's the smartest guy, is pretty entertaining - esp when he misfires and has to try and bring some of those people back.

I care about Tesla and its mission. I care about a future where the planet is habitable. I care about clean drinking water, what happened in Flint was absolutely ****ing vile and beneath us as a species. Fossil fuels pollute our water sources. and those sources for the animals on this planet. They are gravely affected too. I care about clean air that we breathe into our lungs that causes disease and death. CO2 levels are rising, our brains are shrinking, we are all becoming dumber, generation by generation, thanks in part to climate change. Something like 20% of the Earth’s population lives at sea level, this is problematic and suggests a future of great displacement and suffering.

I get most people can’t see past their own nose but I do care that my child has a future worth living. You are free to not give a shit. That is your right.
I think all of that is fantastic, but do you not think that Elon buying Twitter, and everything that's happened since, is taking away from Tesla, and its mission, and especially any kind of positive focus on that mission?

If you have a huge part in these great things like Tesla and SpaceX, then why go and spoil all that goodwill for some dumb social media vanity project where your sole goal is to "prove you can do it better" in a sandbox that really doesn't matter to the overwhelming majority of people who use the site (BRANDS excluded, obviously)?

You think Tesla's stock drops by 1/3 if he sticks to his core competencies and keeps working to make it the best electric car company in the world? Instead he's gotten distracted, let things slip, and now all the other car makers have caught up to Tesla, and even passed it when it comes to electric trucks.

So what are the republicans that you support proposing to tackle these big issues?

Reactions: BelemNole
People don't like jokes anymore.

God this country just needs a mass suiciding of the 10% of political nut jobs on each side of the spectrum. Please, if you fall into this category take one for the team and off yourself so the rest of us normals can go about keeping the world moving forward.

Reactions: seminole97
That is the weirdest thread I’ve ever seen.
What is weird about it. A person who personally knows and has worked with Elon over a long period of time is giving some insight into how his mind works.

The biggest challenge to what she is saying is we live in a political meme culture at the moment so no one is taking anything seriously in terms of communication and those who are putting stuff out thinking others are actually listening are dangerously deranged individuals bc they think their voice actually matters, it doesn't.

What is weird about it. A person who personally knows and has worked with Elon over a long period of time is giving some insight into how his mind works.

The biggest challenge to what she is saying is we live in a political meme culture at the moment so no one is taking anything seriously in terms of communication and those who are putting stuff out thinking others are actually listening are dangerously deranged individuals bc they think their voice actually matters, it doesn't.
Huh?

It was a word salad of stalker-ish cult-like adoration, dressed up in “concern” for humanity. Yuck.

Do you really think Musk bought Twitter to save the planet?
No, I think he intends to leverage a platform that has millions of users.

I do believe he’s interested in free speech, and opposed to the efforts of prior Twitter management to curate and attempt to guide public opinion via shadow bans, etc.

The Musk version of a radical idea is allowing “all legal speech.”

Reactions: unIowa
No, I think he intends to leverage a platform that has millions of users.

I do believe he’s interested in free speech, and opposed to the efforts of prior Twitter management to curate and attempt to guide public opinion via shadow bans, etc.

The Musk version of a radical idea is allowing “all legal speech.”
In which case her posts make even less sense.

If you can't handle the richest man in the world taking the slightest amount of criticism then you should really look inward and evaluate some of the choices you've made in your life. This obsession isn't healthy.

Reactions: Dr. Spaceman
Are there people who are doubting that this is likely one of the biggest fraud cases in history? Maybe I don't hang out in the corners of the internet where there are FTX-deniers, but it seems pretty clear so far (from the little I've seen/read).

The issue is that forensic financial investigations aren't nearly as sexy during the process - only at the end when the full scope/impact are presented. Conversely, a guy buying a large social media company and then appearing to set fire to the place in order to show that he's the smartest guy, is pretty entertaining - esp when he misfires and has to try and bring some of those people back.
Three of the top four stories on Apple News yesterday were about the new CEO’s report, the Bahamian government involvement was especially damning.

The World Cup usually brings a surge of traffic to Twitter, and that is expected again as the tournament starts this weekend.
But after the recent exodus of thousands of employees at the company, and with internal turmoil still raging, there are growing questions about how well the site will be able to hold up.
Hours before a Thursday deadline that Elon Musk gave Twitter employees to decide whether to stay or leave their jobs, the social media company appeared to be in disarray.
Mr. Musk and his advisers held meetings with some Twitter workers whom they deemed “critical” to stop them from leaving, four people with knowledge of the conversations said. He sent confusing messages about the company’s remote work policy, appearing to soften his stance on not allowing people to work from home before warning their managers, according to those people and internal emails viewed by The New York Times.
Advertisement
Continue reading the main story

All the while, two people said, resignations started to roll in. By the deadline, 5 p.m. Eastern time, hundreds of Twitter employees appeared to have decided to depart with three months of severance pay, the people said. Twitter later announced via email that it would close “our office buildings” and disable employee badge access until Monday.
The exits added to the turmoil at Twitter since Mr. Musk, 51, completed his $44 billion takeover last month. The billionaire has laid off half of Twitter’s 7,500 full-time workers, fired dissenters and told employees that they need to be “extremely hard core” to make the company a success.
On Wednesday, Mr. Musk gave Twitter’s remaining employees just under 36 hours to leave or commit to building “a breakthrough Twitter 2.0.” Those who departed would get the three months of severance pay, he said. He positioned the move as a way to make the company the most competitive it could be, though the action also provided an opportunity to further cut costs and purge the firm of disaffected workers.
The shedding of so many employees in such a compressed period has raised questions about how Twitter will keep operating effectively. While Mr. Musk has brought in some engineers and managers from his other companies, such as the electric automaker Tesla, many of them are just coming up to speed on how the social media service works, five people said.
On Twitter, the hashtag #RIPTwitter began trending as users wondered whether the service would go down. Some people posted memes of gravestones with the epitaph that Mr. Musk had killed the service, while others joked that there was only one employee left. Some users said they were migrating to other social media services.

Mr. Musk and Twitter, which no longer has a communications department, did not respond to requests for comment. But in a tweet late Thursday, Mr. Musk joked about how much he had paid for the social media firm.

Twitter faces not just internal challenges with Mr. Musk’s ownership. On Thursday, seven Democratic senators called for the Federal Trade Commission to investigate whether the company had violated a consumer privacy agreement with the agency since Mr. Musk took over. The letter followed the resignations of Twitter’s security executives last week after Mr. Musk appeared to change some of the company’s data security practices.
Those “reported changes to internal reviews and data security practices” at Twitter have put consumers “at risk,” the lawmakers wrote. They included Senators Richard Blumenthal of Connecticut, Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts and Cory Booker of New Jersey.

Senators Cory Booker and Elizabeth Warren were among seven senators who asked for an investigation of whether Twitter had violated a privacy agreement with the F.T.C.Credit...Stefani Reynolds for The New York Times

A spokesman for the F.T.C. declined to comment. The agency previously said it was “tracking recent developments at Twitter with deep concern.” Mr. Musk has said he plans to abide by the privacy agreement.
Jeff Seibert, a former head of consumer product at Twitter, called the company’s situation “sad” and “disappointing” and said Mr. Musk’s leadership had caused “confusion” for users, advertisers and employees. Twitter, which has long grappled with harassment and misinformation on its platform, “has been at the center of a maelstrom for a decade,” he said.
Advertisement
Continue reading the main story

“Of all the companies that don’t need more drama, it’s Twitter,” Mr. Seibert added.
After Mr. Musk asked workers to decide whether to stay or go, employees were provided with an F.A.Q. document about exit packages on Wednesday. The F.A.Q., which was viewed by The Times, opened by saying Mr. Musk’s ultimatum was an “official company communication” and “not a phishing attempt.”
“As you have seen, Twitter is at the beginning of an exciting journey,” the document read.
The F.A.Q. added that employees would have to “maximize working from an office” and “work the hours necessary to do your job at the highest level,” including early mornings, late nights and weekends.
On Thursday morning, Twitter’s internal Slack messaging system appeared relatively quiet, according to two employees and logs seen by The Times. Mr. Musk’s team had spent part of this week combing through messages or tweets that criticized him and the company, which led to the firing of about two dozen workers on Tuesday.
Some employees on Slack had questions about severance packages or whether their jobs were “guaranteed” if they agreed to stay “with the new Twitter.” One employee posted lyrics from Pink Floyd’s song “Wish You Were Here” as others asked about the appropriate email addresses for human resource concerns, according to messages seen by The Times.
On Blind, a social platform where anonymous users talk about their workplaces, a poll of nearly 250 people associated with Twitter showed that about 73 percent favored taking the severance package over staying. People who decided to stay still believed in Twitter’s mission of giving people a voice or had visas tied to their jobs or other personal reasons, two people said.

ADVERTISEMENT