ADVERTISEMENT

Two Deeps & Game Notes for Iowa vs. Purdue

Apr 8, 2003
Linked below.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/hawkeyesports.com/documents/2019/10/14/Notes07_vs_Purdue.pdf

OFFENSE
WR - Brandon Smith, Tyrone Tracy, Jr.
TE - Nate Wieting, Shaun Beyer
LT - Alaric Jackson, Jack Plumb
LG - Landan Paulsen, Cody Ince
C - Tyler Linderbaum, Jeff Jenkins
RG - Mark Kallenberger, Justin Britt
RT - Tristan Wirfs, Levi Paulsen
WR - Ihmir Smith-Marsette, Nico Ragaini
QB - Nate Stanley, Spencer Petras
RB - Mekhi Sargent, Toren Young, Tyler Goodson
FB - Brady Ross, Turner Pallissard

DEFENSE
LE - Chauncey Golston, John Waggoner
LT - Cedrick Lattimore, Daviyon Nixon
RT - Brady Reiff, Austin Schulte, Noah Shannon
RE - A.J. Epenesa, Zach VanValkenburg, Amani Jones
LEO/CASH - Nick Niemann, Barrington Wade
MLB - Kristian Welch, Dillon Doyle
WLB - Djimon Colbert, Seth Benson
LC - Matt Hankins, D.J. Johnson
RC - Michael Ojemudia, Terry Roberts
SS - Geno Stone, Wes Dvorak
FS - Jack Koerner, Kaevon Merriweather

SPECIAL TEAMS
K - Caleb Shudak/Keith Duncan
P - Michael Sleep-Dalton, Colten Rastetter
LS - Jackson Subbert, Nate Vejvoda
H - Colten Rastetter
PR - Nico Ragaini, Ihmir Smith-Marsette,
KR - Ihmir Smith-Marsette, Devonte Young

EG2mP-uW4AELUBd

Reactions: VicHawkeye
Time for some big changes on the oline. I dont care if Wirfs and AJ are moved to guard or one of them, you cant keep getting destroyed at the point of attack and inside gaps. You can give help at tackle with tight ends/backs, but if you're getting blown up on the interior consistently, nothing will work.
I agree I would move Wirfs and Jackson to guard

Reactions: intrepodor
Wasn't Brents on the two deep last week? Is he injured again or just too rusty to make the two deeps this week?

Tracy like ISM as a freshman seems to be having trouble catching the pigskin in big spots. When he does secure the ball he definitely has big play capabilities. I would prefer to see Martin move into the second string until Tracy shows more reliability.

I have a hard time believing Martin isn't as good as Easly, who was the MVP of our last bowl game. Why do I fear he will never be a starter at Iowa?

I have a hard time believing Martin isn't as good as Easly, who was the MVP of our last bowl game. Why do I fear he will never be a starter at Iowa?

I'd like Martin as the punt returner at the very least. It might be that he's not starting because he hasn't had an offseason learning the playbook, especially blocking responsibilities and techniques. I don't know, though.

Jackson to guard makes zero sense because he’s not a guard at all. Now Wirfs, could be an elite guard. Keep Kallenberger in the lineup please too!

Schott would not change what’s happening on the interior. Looking good against a. MAC school is a far cry from playing PSU, Michigan, Wisconsin, etc. He’s too small.

I'd like Martin as the punt returner at the very least. It might be that he's not starting because he hasn't had an offseason learning the playbook, especially blocking responsibilities and techniques. I don't know, though.

"He can't block and doesn't know the playbook"
not picking on you, you got out in front of something that was going to be posted by 100 other people and came off as reasonable

But Fant is my defense lawyer. Let's say Fant can't block and never learned the playbook - just his ability to highpoint the football, run faster than the secondary and jump higher than 99% of the NBA would justify him being a starter at Iowa. Point him toward the end zone and throw the ball up for grabs

Here at Iowa we make things needlessly complicated. Sometimes the focus from the guys running the show is a lesson in missing the forest for the trees

Reactions: Eternal Return
not picking on you, you got out in front of something that was going to be posted by 100 other people and came off as reasonable

But Fant is my defense lawyer. Let's say Fant can't block and never learned the playbook - just his ability to highpoint the football, run faster than the secondary and jump higher than 99% of the NBA would justify him being a starter at Iowa. Point him toward the end zone and throw the ball up for grabs

Here at Iowa we make things needlessly complicated. Sometimes the focus from the guys running the show is a lesson in missing the forest for the trees

I understand. I did end the post by saying "I don't know, though." In a sense, Iowa's WRs aren't the real problem, though. The offensive line is as well as Nate's inconsistency throwing the ball and his lack of mobility. Iowa might just need an entirely different offensive scheme if they're not able to recruit linemen and QBs that can thrive in this type of offense. I'm still not sure what the offense is trying to do in terms of identity.

Time for some big changes on the oline. I dont care if Wirfs and AJ are moved to guard or one of them, you cant keep getting destroyed at the point of attack and inside gaps. You can give help at tackle with tight ends/backs, but if you're getting blown up on the interior consistently, nothing will work.
I wouldn't say Wirfs and AJ have been stellar this year either.

Reactions: ctghawk

That would be a great comparison if Martin was any of those things. He's not 6'5", not considered overly speedy for his position, and probably doesn't have Noah's verticle. He's a possession receiver, and it's probably very important that he and Stanley are both on the same page as to the route he's running. We saw a couple instances Saturday where it was obvious Nate and the receiver weren't on the same page that resulted in incompletions. I suspect Oliver will get his snaps as time goes on, not dissing him at all.

That would be a great comparison if Martin was any of those things. He's not 6'5", not considered overly speedy for his position, and probably doesn't have Noah's verticle. He's a possession receiver, and it's probably very important that he and Stanley are both on the same page as to the route he's running. We saw a couple instances Saturday where it was obvious Nate and the receiver weren't on the same page that resulted in incompletions. I suspect Oliver will get his snaps as time goes on, not dissing him at all.

Oliver Martin runs precision routes and does draw attention when on the field. The playbook knowledge will come around and he will be a threat in latter games. Many of our WR and RB are not great blockers, he fits into that group but will get better. At MI the WRs were not asked to block much on the field, Iowa requires it. Give him time.

Oliver Martin runs precision routes and does draw attention when on the field. The playbook knowledge will come around and he will be a threat in latter games. Many of our WR and RB are not great blockers, he fits into that group but will get better. At MI the WRs were not asked to block much on the field, Iowa requires it. Give him time.
I completely agree with this. I was just talking about the comparison to Fant, who is/was considered an athletic freak at his position, not being a good comparison.

I completely agree with this. I was just talking about the comparison to Fant, who is/was considered an athletic freak at his position, not being a good comparison.
Martin can jump out the gym, and minus a blazing 40 was pretty explosive back in those nike camps when he was in HS. It's what helped him blow up with offers and helped his rating.

Tracy like ISM as a freshman seems to be having trouble catching the pigskin in big spots. When he does secure the ball he definitely has big play capabilities. I would prefer to see Martin move into the second string until Tracy shows more reliability.

Yeah, the last two games seemed to big for him. I think he had 4 drops in these two games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT