ADVERTISEMENT

Two tipping questions - what does HROT say?

Feb 9, 2013
1. You are required to valet park at your hotel. You have in and out privileges but don’t use the car at all during your visit. You pull up, they park the car and you retrieve it when you leave three days later.

Question- if you would normally give $5 dollars whenever you retrieved your car, would you tip $20 or so for the three days or would you tip $5 since they only brought you your car once, upon departure?

2. Similarly, you do not use any housekeeping services for your visit. If you would normally leave a tip of $5 per night would you leave $15-$20 or would you leave $5 since they did not have to clean your room except on your departure?

Curious what people think.

1. You are required to valet park at your hotel. You have in and out privileges but don’t use the car at all during your visit. You pull up, they park the car and you retrieve it when you leave three days later.

Question- if you would normally give $5 dollars whenever you retrieved your car, would you tip $20 or so for the three days or would you tip $5 since they only brought you your car once, upon departure?

2. Similarly, you do not use any housekeeping services for your visit. If you would normally leave a tip of $5 per night would you leave $15-$20 or would you leave $5 since they did not have to clean your room except on your departure?

$10 and $10

1. Park the car at a nearby Walmart and Uber to the hotel to avoid the "mandatory" valet service. I don't want some pimply-faced goofball driving my car.

2. I don't tip for housekeeping unless I get daily housekeeping services.

Only tip when valet brings it to you. So tip 5-10.

Only tip if you used maid service. So no tip if you put do not disturb and did not have bed made and room refreshed each day. The first night is part of expectation from hotel.

If it's mandatory valet, probably tip a few bucks depending on how much they are charging you already for the night. The cheaper the overnight charge, I'm inclined to tip a little more. Per occurrence retrieving my car only.

I haven't stayed at a hotel which offered daily housekeeping since pre-covid, and have got my own towels, cleaned up, and dumped trash on my own when staying for more than a day or two, so I haven't tipped housekeeping anything for a long time.

If it's mandatory valet, probably tip a few bucks depending on how much they are charging you already for the night. The cheaper the overnight charge, I'm inclined to tip a little more. Per occurrence retrieving my car only.

I haven't stayed at a hotel which offered daily housekeeping since pre-covid, and have got my own towels, cleaned up, and dumped trash on my own when staying for more than a day or two, so I haven't tipped housekeeping anything for a long time.
$25/day parking fee.

Probably do 5 to 10 each. I don't like using valets for my parking. So if I know the parking situation before I'm probably using a parking app if it's in a big city. If I find something within reasonable walking distance probably doing that.

They still have to clean room on you leaving so I usually tip because of that.

You tip valet for each time they have to do something. If I get into my car five times I’m going to tip more than if I just get it when I check out.

Maids get tips for each time they clean. If they clean five days, five tips. One day, one tip.

You tip valet for each time they have to do something. If I get into my car five times I’m going to tip more than if I just get it when I check out.

Maids get tips for each time they clean. If they clean five days, five tips. One day, one tip.
Yep, that’s my thinking, too.

Most places in a big city charge around 50 bucks a night to valet it. If you’re not using it until you leave not sure I’d tip more than 5-10 dollars tops. Why should you?

Just spent 6 nights at a nice hotel in the pacific Nw. Provided no services because of the pandemic, and we had to find the maids in the hall to get extra shampoo, body wash, etc. We were going to rent a car but luckily did not. 49 bucks a night to valet. I’m fine with not getting clean sheets and towels each night but 6 nights of nothing at a so called boutique hotel sucks.

1. Parking valets are tipped when parking and leaving based on what you feel is important. Based on the OP's question, this is a guy that is driving his personal car into a motel/hotel/Holiday Inn, and needs a spot near an exit with no cameras, so a large tip requesting said spot and a forget about it tip leaving seems appropriate.

2. Mr 3 day stay that needed his car parked in a special spot is either meeting a wife/mistress who he is likely killing and needs 3 days to sort some things out ( cutting up, suitcase etc etc) or
Mr 3 day staycation guy is a drug addict who is on a bender and allows questionable people into his hotel room during his bender that he can not be seen with so he runs to his special parking spot. . Which means the cleaning staff gets triple what you normally pay because you know what you did and someone else is cleaning up that mess Mr Staycation.

1. Parking valets are tipped when parking and leaving based on what you feel is important. Based on the OP's question, this is a guy that is driving his personal car into a motel/hotel/Holiday Inn, and needs a spot near an exit with no cameras, so a large tip requesting said spot and a forget about it tip leaving seems appropriate.

2. Mr 3 day stay that needed his car parked in a special spot is either meeting a wife/mistress who he is likely killing and needs 3 days to sort some things out ( cutting up, suitcase etc etc) or
Mr 3 day staycation guy is a drug addict who is on a bender and allows questionable people into his hotel room during his bender that he can not be seen with so he runs to his special parking spot. . Which means the cleaning staff gets triple what you normally pay because you know what you did and someone else is cleaning up that mess Mr Staycation.
I pay a premium for discretion.

There was a segment on one of the major networks a few years back. They did a test at a few major chains. The results were not good. You're sometimes sleeping on unclean sheets.
One of my good friends worked at a high end hotel chain in college. He always requests new sheets when he checks in and changes them himself.

Our ancestors will not look back kindly at our tipping system. It’s insane. Reading these threads always makes me angry.

Restaurant tipping makes some level of sense - we at least have agreement on the basic mechanics. This other stuff is just anarchy.

Reactions: bhawk24bob
ADVERTISEMENT