ADVERTISEMENT

Tyler Cook Appreciation Thread

crHawkeye92

HR MVP
Mar 16, 2013
Just wanted to give props to Tyler Cook! I feel like he's been getting a lot of undeserved hate on here recently but he had a great tourney. His intensity on defense and leadership was huge for us! Not to mention his passing and scoring. He had a great couple of days! Love having a player of his caliber on this team.

love this thread and TC...Always liked his game no matter what the nay sayers on this site have said about him. Most were really doggin him early on in the season. Well done TC and team! Luka was a beast as well!

I think Fran is using Cook correct---give him the ball at top of key and let him drive. It will develop Cook's game for NBA and the side benefit is he is about the only guy we have that can create off the dribble and have an athletic advantage.

The intensity Cook displayed on defense and rebounding was really nice to see. It was hard to believe that was Iowa playing defense--they actually were good at it.

Cook is by far our most talented player and has stepped up his game significantly this year. He can still improve by valuing the ball a bit more, hitting free throws at a better clip, posting up if they defend him with a three, and getting back on D with effort consistently. So fricking glad he came back this year!

Reactions: And1Hawk
It remains to be seen what the rest of this year will look like for him but to me he still needs another year beyond this one to round out his game if he truly wants to make it. A lot of growth is still needed and time to demonstrate consistency. Whatever he wants to do though we support him.

He still needs to improve his rebounding, ball handling and shooting but it’s on the come.

You sure it was all undeserved? Some people are jerks, but it’s not like Cook has always properly handled his business.

Great to see him putting things together.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
You sure it was all undeserved? Some people are jerks, but it’s not like Cook has always properly handled his business.

Great to see him putting things together.

There is a line that some fans seem to cross between criticism of a kid's game and basically calling them bad people for having the nerve to go through the draft process. I've never thought Cook was lazy or didn't care or the other things some fans on here have thrown out. He needed to be coached and see the big picture better. If going through the draft process helped him with that, then I'm really glad he did so.

Iowa needs Cook to do what he's been doing to be good, really no one else on the roster has the athleticism and size combination to attack off the dribble aggressively. We are going to have to live with the turnovers to an extent. The amount of fouls he's drawing benefit the entire team even when he misses FT's. It means Iowa gets to the bonus quickly so Iowa's guards end up shooting more free throws than they otherwise would have.

The little things he is getting better at, just passing the ball back out if he's doubled or doesn't have great position or having body language that looks engaged on the defensive end, those are great signs. He is Iowa's most-talented player, and him showing that level of unselfishness and buy-in have a ripple effect on the team.

Reactions: 24 so far
I love that he was around the rim when teammates drove and/or put up shots. He'll continue to be on the receiving end of assists, especially from Connor, and get a lot of tip dunks and put backs.

Cook starting outside in also opens post up for our bigs. Often last year Cook commanded a lot of that post spot. Now we can have both.

Just wanted to give props to Tyler Cook! I feel like he's been getting a lot of undeserved hate on here recently but he had a great tourney. His intensity on defense and leadership was huge for us! Not to mention his passing and scoring. He had a great couple of days! Love having a player of his caliber on this team.

well I think we saw it last night what its potential is when it gives 100% a hundred percent of the time. He was definitely a man on a mission and I was totally impressed by his effort. I think if he continues with that kind of effort it's just a little bit of a jump shot he's going to go a long long way.

It remains to be seen what the rest of this year will look like for him but to me he still needs another year beyond this one to round out his game if he truly wants to make it. A lot of growth is still needed and time to demonstrate consistency. Whatever he wants to do though we support him.

He still needs to improve his rebounding, ball handling and shooting but it’s on the come.

Absolutely. If he continues to demonstrate ability to guard various positions hell be a second rounder after this year but likely still a G leaguer.

If his nba feedback indicates that hes made significant progress but still has areas to improve it could motivate him to come back and really shoot hard for being a first rounder.

I think we can put the leaving early for Europe stuff to bed.

I have been pretty hard on Cook, but he showed us intensity on both ends of the court for long stretches for the first time I can remember. He was even getting into a defensive position and helping on defense:) He still makes a few too many dumb plays, when he seems to lose concentration, but overall he played great BB in NYC. If he can keep that up, Iowa is going to have a really good year. Tyler also could get some post-season honors and get a lot more interest from the NBA.

One thing the Hawks were doing with Cook during this tourney that I did not see as much last year was positioning him above the free-throw line, facing the basket. It allows him to drive to the hoop and score or get fouled. Cook handles the ball well enough that he gets past his defender pretty easily. It's also a much better use of him than just having him post up.

The Hawks did this with another 4 in the past, Aaron White, and it was really effective.

If he can learn to drive and kick from time to time, when penetrating at the top, it opens up even more for us.

Don’t need him getting a cheap charge or any more sloppy turnovers that lead to transition buckets.

But I do love that addition to his game and our offense.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT