ADVERTISEMENT

Tyler Cook future

Case I H

All-Conference
Aug 21, 2018
I see he is listed as the 94th best player in the draft. They have him listed as a Center. He is not coming back to Iowa, so assuming he does not get drafted tomorrow, which is very likely, where is he going? G League? Overseas? I still dont understand why he is leaving early, when he knows he wont get drafted.

I see he is listed as the 94th best player in the draft. They have him listed as a Center. He is not coming back to Iowa, so assuming he does not get drafted tomorrow, which is very likely, where is he going? G League? Overseas? I still dont understand why he is leaving early, when he knows he wont get drafted.
He hasn't developed at Iowa, and he can get paid. Why would he stay?

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what his thoughts on academics were?

Was he a good student, or did he major in "keeping eligible?"

I'm just interested if this was a part of the college experience that was not something he enjoyed.

It's nothing against him; college isn't for everyone, after all.

He evidently didn't enjoy being at iowa. Not sure why. I know he wants paid which is understandable but one more year at iowa really wasn't going to change anything. It appears he wanted out and didn't enjoy college life.

Interesting if true. i'm not sure I recall a player in the past 25 years that led the team in scoring and rebounding two years in a row, averaged 15&7 and received as much criticism as Cook. I'm not suggesting he didn't have his shortcomings and perhaps some of the criticism was warranted due to his obvious talent and our hope/desire he would reach his full potential while at Iowa. Seems like the constant negativity and criticism on here and perhaps on campus would get old pretty quick for a player and negatively impact the overall college experience.

I do feel like his self evaluation as a player doesn't quite match up with reality. I've read/heard comments from Cook where he talked about being an effort guy, hustle guy and going full all the time and I didn't really see that, at least on defense and in transition.

Fran and teammates said Tyler was the hardest working guy on the team...first in last out type of ethic.
It would be surprising for a guy to bust his arse when no one is watching only to loaf when everyone is watching...l think he may not have always looked like he was busting arse on the floor but he was...pacing himself by not wasting energy. Baer played high energy but had to come out frequently. Cook needed to stay on the floor.

I don't know Tyler at all, but I somehow got the feeling that his lack of movement (like watching others rebound and standing observing while an opponent went to the basket) was not loafing, but just not having the instincts to get it done. I never have considered Tyler a lazy player, but he sure spent way too much time standing.

Cook would benefit from coming back for his senior season. Will it turn him into an NBA pick next year? No. But it would give him something to fall back on when his overseas career comes to an end. I wish him the best and hope he has a long career in whatever league he plays in but kids in his position who aren't going to sign a lottery contract need to think about life after basketball. Why not take advantage of a scholarship, finish your degree and go overseas next year?

I would love to see Cook play with Beverly and Touissant but no chance he comes back.

I don't know Tyler at all, but I somehow got the feeling that his lack of movement (like watching others rebound and standing observing while an opponent went to the basket) was not loafing, but just not having the instincts to get it done. I never have considered Tyler a lazy player, but he sure spent way too much time standing.
I’ve thought this about Moss too. It seemed with both of them that they worked and improved during their time at Iowa. But it was the improvement of someone who was told to do something and then did it- kind of rote learning without much instinct of understanding why they were doing it. This was why you’d feel like you wanted them on the court because of their athleticism and skills but a healthy dose of Baer was also needed. Another way of looking at it is that you can easily imagine Baer being a coach, but Cook and Moss- not so much.

Cook would benefit from coming back for his senior season. Will it turn him into an NBA pick next year? No. But it would give him something to fall back on when his overseas career comes to an end. I wish him the best and hope he has a long career in whatever league he plays in but kids in his position who aren't going to sign a lottery contract need to think about life after basketball. Why not take advantage of a scholarship, finish your degree and go overseas next year?

I would love to see Cook play with Beverly and Touissant but no chance he comes back.

Why not play hoops while he can and then come back and get his degree?

Why not play hoops while he can and then come back and get his degree?
I agree with this. The time for Tyler to make whatever money he can get is probably now. I highly doubt that it will be in the NBA, but there is a lot of money that can be made overseas. This decision should be Tyler and his family's decision, and we should respect it.

Good call on this. Same with Moss. I really think their basketball instincts are not high. I played with guys like that growing up. They were talented athletes or good shooters and at times looked great but their lack of instincts and understanding of how angles, seeing the whole game, etc. prevented them from ever reaching the level you thought they should be able to.

Who is Beverly?

Good call on this. Same with Moss. I really think their basketball instincts are not high. I played with guys like that growing up. They were talented athletes or good shooters and at times looked great but their lack of instincts and understanding of how angles, seeing the whole game, etc. prevented them from ever reaching the level you thought they should be able to.
Foreseeing abilities. Is that a thing?

I still feel like Tyler watching his former high school teammate Tatum blow up on the NBA scene always left a I need to get paid as well taste in Tyler's mouth.

Reactions: AJBHawkeye
He needed to make a big step in his perimeter shooting and rebounding efforts this last year to make a step towards a 1st round pick. According to his stats that didn't occur. I wasn't insinuating that he didn't improve from his freshmen year, but there doesn't appear to be anything to gain from sticking around for another year.

Interesting if true. i'm not sure I recall a player in the past 25 years that led the team in scoring and rebounding two years in a row, averaged 15&7 and received as much criticism as Cook. I'm not suggesting he didn't have his shortcomings and perhaps some of the criticism was warranted due to his obvious talent and our hope/desire he would reach his full potential while at Iowa. Seems like the constant negativity and criticism on here and perhaps on campus would get old pretty quick for a player and negatively impact the overall college experience.

I do feel like his self evaluation as a player doesn't quite match up with reality. I've read/heard comments from Cook where he talked about being an effort guy, hustle guy and going full all the time and I didn't really see that, at least on defense and in transition.
The ONLY acceptance I can have of criticism would be because he appeared to have massive potential but it somehow didn't blossom.
Reality is that happens to all of us at some point in life. He has enough skills to make a decent living for a while and hopefully he can return to Iowa and get his degree some day.

I still feel like Tyler watching his former high school teammate Tatum blow up on the NBA scene always left a I need to get paid as well taste in Tyler's mouth.

I wonder how much playing with Tatum hurt Tyler as Tatum was a shot machine, making many, but the ball had to be in his hands the majority of the time. How did that help Tyler?

Seems to me Tatum deserved the ball in his hands all the time. He was a high draft pick and TC is going to Europe.

The greater point is not if Tatum should have the ball all the time, but, how was that a beneficial development opportunity for Tyler?

The greater point is not if Tatum should have the ball all the time, but, how was that a beneficial development opportunity for Tyler?
Do you know if they played on the same AAU team, or was it just the same high school team?

I’ve thought this about Moss too. It seemed with both of them that they worked and improved during their time at Iowa. But it was the improvement of someone who was told to do something and then did it- kind of rote learning without much instinct of understanding why they were doing it. This was why you’d feel like you wanted them on the court because of their athleticism and skills but a healthy dose of Baer was also needed. Another way of looking at it is that you can easily imagine Baer being a coach, but Cook and Moss- not so much.
I've always thought that Moss and Cook lacked instincts. They never seemed to anticipate very well.

Fran and teammates said Tyler was the hardest working guy on the team...first in last out type of ethic.
It would be surprising for a guy to bust his arse when no one is watching only to loaf when everyone is watching...l think he may not have always looked like he was busting arse on the floor but he was...pacing himself by not wasting energy. Baer played high energy but had to come out frequently. Cook needed to stay on the floor.
First off, if fran said that he's even more delusional than i thought.
Secondly, LOL to the rest of your post.

Tyler has been discussed ad nauseum on this board. Since the topic continues to surface, maybe I am the only one tired of it.
I think we can all agree that he could be dynamic on one possession and dumbfounding on the next. At his best, he carried this team for long stretches of games and in others was a turnover machine. I believe he has been a very good Hawkeye and represented the program well.
Fact is though, he is not a finished product. Wherever he plays professionally, he will continue to develop and will make a good living doing it. I wish nothing but the best for him.

He evidently didn't enjoy being at iowa. Not sure why. I know he wants paid which is understandable but one more year at iowa really wasn't going to change anything. It appears he wanted out and didn't enjoy college life.
Obviously not a team player, as next years Hawkeyes could've seriously used his defense...errr...free throw shooting...errr...mid-range jumper...errr...shot blocking...errr...nevermind.

GOOD LUCK TYLER!

Reactions: KenBiscutmit
I hope he does well wherever he ends up, but I just don't see it happening. Tyler has a problem catching the ball in the post. All too frequently, the ball bounces off his hands and ends up on the floor. That just doesn't get the job done, no matter what level.

I hope Tyler makes it to the pros. He may not get drafted tonight but someone will give him a shot via the G league. Two things have got to improve though, turnovers and standing and watching on defense. Both of those things will get him cut from any roster. Improve there and he has plenty of ability to contribute at the next level whether it’s here or overseas. Good luck Tyler

Reactions: Hawksfor3
I hope Tyler makes it to the pros. He may not get drafted tonight but someone will give him a shot via the G league. Two things have got to improve though, turnovers and standing and watching on defense. Both of those things will get him cut from any roster. Improve there and he has plenty of ability to contribute at the next level whether it’s here or overseas. Good luck Tyler
NBA Draft.net reported the same. The turnovers resulted in him driving with his head down and on the defensive side, he has a tendency to leave his man and also is out of position at times. All correctable though. Good points.

Isaiah Roby first Nub player picked in 20 years? Is that correct?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT