ADVERTISEMENT

Tyler Cook sophomore highlights

Dude is really good, hope for his sake the whole team can get it together and help him get more accolades.

Never quite understood why some on this board said we would
be better if Cook left the program.

Never quite understood why some on this board said we would
be better if Cook left the program.

Not better but it wouldn't be the blow people think just because this team is overloaded with bigs.

Imo Fran isn't utilizing Cook in his best role which is also part of it.

counted about 20 shots (jumpers, floaters, and hook shots) from outside the paint in that clip. If he can hit those 10 - 17 foot jumpers with regularity and then sprinkle in a couple 3 balls now and then, he's going to be ungardable

counted about 20 shots (jumpers, floaters, and hook shots) from outside the paint in that clip. If he can hit those 10 - 17 foot jumpers with regularity and then sprinkle in a couple 3 balls now and then, he's going to be ungardable

Double teams were his kryptonite last year.

Hes very guardable until he figures out how to deal with that.

One on one in the post, he's virtually unstoppable for most opponents.

As good as he is there, he's not shown much of anything for an offensive game outside 10 feet. And has had trouble making the good pass when double teamed.

And as we all have seen, his defense is just plain poor.

A superior athletic and physically skilled player that has the tools to make huge strides in his areas of weakness. If he becomes at least an average defender, better passer, develops a drive from the perimeter and improves his shot outside 15 feet it wouldn't be a surprise to see him drafted.

Reactions: Pepperman
Please eliminate all of those mid-range jumpers. Move two feet back and shoot the 3 at 33% or higher. If he wants to be a pro, he needs either that aspect added to his game or a new engine in the tank that motors for the entire game.

Cook is as physically gifted as any big man that I have seen play for Iowa. His game progressed on the offensive end when he had the ball, but the rest of his game showed little improvement IMO. As talented and overpowering as Tyler is around the basket on offense, he has been almost non-existent on defense. He has the physical tools to also be a great defender, so I don't understand why he isn't much better. He also still needs to work harder at getting in the proper position for rebounds.

I am glad Tyler is back, because it greatly increases our chance to be a good team. We need Tyler to be a leader and play at a high level on both ends of the court. Highlight reel plays are nice, but I would prefer to see 25-30 min of smart, aggressive play.

Please eliminate all of those mid-range jumpers. Move two feet back and shoot the 3 at 33% or higher. If he wants to be a pro, he needs either that aspect added to his game or a new engine in the tank that motors for the entire game.

This. How coaches still allow their players to shoot such a -EV shot when all the great coaches totally eschew mid range jumpers is beyond me.

I want Cook to be great for Iowa. But that doesn't mean the same thing as some people think. Individual stats are one thing, but actually playing team basketball and helping the team win is what he needs to do. That might be satisfied with higher points and rebounds, but it also might be satisfied with better defense, more assists, and fewer turnovers.

I feel like most people here think his main weakness is a mid-range jumper. That's not even close, and I'll say that if he tries to shoot a lot more of those this year it could end up hurting the team. Instead, I'd prefer he handle the ball better (less turnovers) and pass better (more assists and less turnovers).

We shall see - I absolutely agree he's a strength around the basket and he has some highlight dunks. If only that's what made a TEAM good.

Reactions: dandh and SDHawkDoc
I want Cook to be great for Iowa. But that doesn't mean the same thing as some people think. Individual stats are one thing, but actually playing team basketball and helping the team win is what he needs to do. That might be satisfied with higher points and rebounds, but it also might be satisfied with better defense, more assists, and fewer turnovers.

I feel like most people here think his main weakness is a mid-range jumper. That's not even close, and I'll say that if he tries to shoot a lot more of those this year it could end up hurting the team. Instead, I'd prefer he handle the ball better (less turnovers) and pass better (more assists and less turnovers).

We shall see - I absolutely agree he's a strength around the basket and he has some highlight dunks. If only that's what made a TEAM good.

Agree, people talking about his shooting don't understand what's going on in the court most of the time.

Fixing the glaring weaknesses should be the priority, of which there are a few.

He has zero chance at an NBA roster without a complete 180 on the defensive end. Nba role players have to play good defense. Everybody can dunk.

Reactions: SDHawkDoc
I think we'll see him take his offense up another level this year.

The question is his defense. He HAS to improve on D. Hopefully a year from now there is a reason to make a DEFENSIVE highlight video of Cook!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT