ADVERTISEMENT

Tyler Cook

IIIQChawk and RockNRollface are about the only other people that know what’s up on this topic in this thread. Tyler Cook has never, nor will ever play a meaningful minute in an NBA game. Beyond that, won’t play too many, or any meaningless minutes either. That’s always been my take. He’s not NBA talent. He would have been best off sticking around another year and enjoy playing big minutes in a top league. He would have been eating up Garza’s space though.

When I use the words “Play in the NBA,” it does not include filling a spot at the end of the bench for a handful of days/weeks and bouncing to Europe...or the G league. Cook has just been used as bench-fodder.

As mentioned, Uthoff and White were better NBA prospects and they could not stick. Cook had both the fortune to play high school ball with Jayson Tatum and it was also a sort of misfortune, as it seems to have given Cook the idea he is better than he really is.

Cook was good in college and should be going to go get a handful of Euros now. That’s about it on this story.

Oh ok we're going by Larry's threshold of minutes played for it to count. So what is the total minutes played in order for him to count as playing in the NBA? Surely you have one, to make the statement you did.

Reactions: longliveCS40
the league has plenty of guys who spend time in minor leagues or euro that came back to play in the nba.
anyone who claims to know absolutely TC s future are wrong.

Yeah but regardless, he's never going to "play" in the NBA. Playing in the NBA does not mean that you've played in the NBA. Just ask Larry and Rocknrollface.

His dismissal by Cleveland earned him $50,000
Wish he would have graduated from Iowa before
jumping to the NBA

You think it is better to work on skills in college than in the pros where you can commit pretty much 100% of your time to the game?

...and where you play against the best competition in the world? Cook will improve a heck of a lot more playing in the G league or Europe than he would in an Iowa uniform.

Why is it that Legend is the only guy that actually gets it here? Honing his skills for a few hours a day vs doing it all day and trying to earn a living? Was he going to blow up this year and average 25-10 at Iowa? Even if he doesn't make it, which it doesn't look real promising, he's doing what he needs to do to try. Another year at Iowa was not going to help him. Did playing 4 years make Woodbury any more ready? Or any of those other guys that you mentioned ? The answer is no. G League might certainly be all he has in him. I'm not going to argue that one way or another. He certainly has deficiencies.

Why is it that Legend is the only guy that actually gets it here? Honing his skills for a few hours a day vs doing it all day and trying to earn a living? Was he going to blow up this year and average 25-10 at Iowa? Even if he doesn't make it, which it doesn't look real promising, he's doing what he needs to do to try. Another year at Iowa was not going to help him. Did playing 4 years make Woodbury any more ready? Or any of those other guys that you mentioned ? The answer is no. G League might certainly be all he has in him. I'm not going to argue that one way or another. He certainly has deficiencies.

You and Legend are both right, I give Fran and his staff zero chance that they would have improved his skills enough to make any difference.
The NBA is so challenging to make a roster, that if a undergraduate opts to leave early without all the skills needed to compete at that level, they're going to be at a distinct disadvantage. The longer it takes a player to achieve the level of skill needed whether it's rebounding, scoring, or defense is all related to time management. The NBA does not wait around to allow a player to get up to speed, the longer it takes, the older the player gets and the sooner an NBA franchise looks to younger players. It's a pretty easy concept to understand, it's not fair, but the NBA is not all about being fair, is it?

Why don't we all just calm down and wish Tyler the best for his future? He was a Hawkeye by choice who provided us with some memorable moments.

No way Kemosabe. It is far more fun to eat our own and flat out make things up about Tyler Cook. I, for one, would like nothing more than to see TC have a long career in professional basketball wherever that may be.

The chicken or the egg,,,,posters on here are upset that some of us think Tyler was not NBA ready, but he was such an awesome physical specimen that the NBA should take a flier on him anyway...fast forward to Garza and his spectacular start to this year. Here's a player that is absolutely on fire offensively and has all the skill one would think to be drafted in the first round of the NBA whether at the end of this year or next. Well, how many think he will be drafted? Does he make your athletically gifted, can't miss list? I'd guess that's a no!!
I love Garza and I have no idea whether he'll get drafted or not, he's the hardest worker I've ever seen in an Iowa uniform which is mostly the result of his lack of being athletically gifted. He's learned to make up for that deficiency by out working the other guy. That alone may get him to the next level, then again it may not.
But here's the point....this is not the 50's, 60's or 70's. The NBA is a much different sport then it was 30, 40, or 70 years ago. Players are bigger, stronger, and more skilled then the players were back in the day's when the Philadelphia 76ers, or the Boston Celtic's ruled the league. A player coming out of college or wherever, that makes the NBA has to be the best of the best, because the franchises are not going to gamble their money on a player that is not a sure bet to succeed. The NBA is a multi-billion dollar business and they can't afford to piss away their profits on any marginal player. That's just the reality we fans have to understand, we might not like it but that's just the way it is.
So, back to the Chicken or the egg...if you were an NBA franchise who would you draft, or pick up off the scrape heap to help your team....Cook or Garza?
Don't look at me to make your decision for you, you're own your own, good luck!

Let's just hope Tyler can attend the Iowa State game this fall. Busting out his jersey in Ames was an ab fab moment in the history of the Cyclown rivalry.

That and Jordan's sneakers really made the 2019-2020 wins especially fun.

I don't know what the NBA off season is like or where TC is relative to graduation but it would be nice if TC was in town for some summer school and could scrimmage with the returning Hawk boys. I'm sure CJ has already told the incoming freshmen what its like to take a charge from TC at full gallop. Scrimmaging with a guy as big, strong and quick as Tyler would really help the incoming front court guys form an idea of what they might face when the shooting starts.

Last edited:
The ISU fans totally had that look of 'there is nothing we can do or say to Cook.' They just had to take it.

There isn't enough liquid courage in the entire state of Iowa to embolden even the dumbest of Cyclowns to try their chances with TC. I've never heard of TC throwing a punch but I do know I wouldn't want to be the guy that receives the first.

There isn't enough liquid courage in the entire state of Iowa to embolden even the dumbest of Cyclowns to try their chances with TC. I've never heard of TC throwing a punch but I do know I wouldn't want to be the guy that receives the first.
Good Lord no. You have to have a build like TC with lots of confidence to pull that one off. The Clones basically ate sh!t and forced to like it!

The thing with Tyler was always the suddenness in his dunks, in many cases it was thrown down before the defender knew what was happening.

Reactions: Ronman
ADVERTISEMENT