ADVERTISEMENT

Tyler Goodson named #1 Undrafted Free Agent with best chance to make Packer's roster

TG was a bad fit with our Offense last year. He excels in the open field where his talent is making people miss. Last year we seemingly played the entire season in a phone booth. I thought his decision to forgo his last season was very smart. I can’t wait to see him play with Rodgers and the pack, wishing nothing but the best for him!

Given o-line health, cohesion and improved performance. The Williams duo should thrive, if they do Petras performance will be improved. Coupled with our excellent defense, this will be a great year!

If
TG was a bad fit with our Offense last year. He excels in the open field where his talent is making people miss. Last year we seemingly played the entire season in a phone booth. I thought his decision to forgo his last season was very smart. I can’t wait to see him play with Rodgers and the pack, wishing nothing but the best for him!

Given o-line health, cohesion and improved performance. The Williams duo should thrive, if they do Petras performance will be improved. Coupled with our excellent defense, this will be a great year!
If only they could design some things to get him the ball in space…. 😊

Reactions: 24 so far
If

If only they could design some things to get him the ball in space…. 😊
Step one is find an intermediate passing game, which is easier said than done with a porous line and freshmen receivers.. 😀

Wild how someone can average 4.5 on the ground and pile up almost 1,400 yards of offense with that bad of an Oline/QB play and gets this much hate. Bowl game is nothing more than a glorified scrimmage. It's the norm in CFB now to sit if you want to protect your long term value. Plenty of bad injuries in bowl games and it was smart imo especially at RB. To question his character and work ethic is just pure sour grapes to justify your feels.

Wild how someone can average 4.5 on the ground and pile up almost 1,400 yards of offense with that bad of an Oline/QB play and gets this much hate. Bowl game is nothing more than a glorified scrimmage. It's the norm in CFB now to sit if you want to protect your long term value. Plenty of bad injuries in bowl games and it was smart imo especially at RB. To question his character and work ethic is just pure sour grapes to justify your feels.
Has there been a bunch of injuries that impacted draft status?

It's not that hard to pile up yards vs mediocre teams.
He couldn't hit even 3.6ypc in the majority of games last year!

I haven't really noticed people talk about his work ethic or character though....??

Just his performance. Like Spencer, he also seems like a good person imo, just underperformed in many folks minds.

Career ending injuries are pretty dang rare, especially when only looking at a bowl

You're not serious right? Injuries happen anytime and can be impossible to recover from. The reason players started opting out was because of injuries in bowl games.

Let's just reviewed Drew Ott...

You're not serious right? Injuries happen anytime and can be impossible to recover from. The reason players started opting out was because of injuries in bowl games.

How many players suffer a career ending injury in their bowl game each year?

You know the difference between rare and impossible right?

Reactions: 24 so far

I want to make sure you are aware that you are using a week 2 injury example while discussing sitting out a bowl game. No off season practice injuries to use?

Thats an interesting point. I was just wondering the same thing after reading this thread. I guess will find out if he was just saving himself from injury, hoping for his payday, or if its just not in him to do it....
Our running game will be fine without him. His dancing behind the LOS lost significant yardage... As for the blocking, you got to want it! Plus, like Wadley, TG needs to gain about 15lbs of muscle.
Williams x 2 looked the part. We will have a better running game this year...

How many players suffer a career ending injury in their bowl game each year?

You know the difference between rare and impossible right?
Some aren't career ending but even if not they can hurt their draft stock. Causing them to miss their pro day or the combine. It didn't happen in the bowl game but working out prior to the other Michigan DE got hurt and dropped out of the 1st rd where most had him going in the teens. Very few, like Linderbaum who hurt his ankle, don't have it hurt their draft position too much since he was far and away best C prospect and one of the highest rated in last decade. But lets say he was projected 3-4 rd that could have hurt him and cause him to slip. Which could cost these players hundreds of thousands if not millions of $.

Some aren't career ending but even if not they can hurt their draft stock. Causing them to miss their pro day or the combine. It didn't happen in the bowl game but working out prior to the other Michigan DE got hurt and dropped out of the 1st rd where most had him going in the teens. Very few, like Linderbaum who hurt his ankle, don't have it hurt their draft position too much since he was far and away best C prospect and one of the highest rated in last decade. But lets say he was projected 3-4 rd that could have hurt him and cause him to slip. Which could cost these players hundreds of thousands if not millions of $.
He was a udfa(and most knew that), there was no hurting his draft stock.
If he was a legit top 2 or even 3 round pick I could totally understand.

He was a udfa(and most knew that), there was no hurting his draft stock.
If he was a legit top 2 or even 3 round pick I could totally understand.
Lot of mocks had him going 6-7 rd so wasn't a foregone conclusion he would be a UDFA. In general it is wise to sit the bowl if you plan to leave for the draft even if undrafted. TG gets hurt in bowl he can't participate in Summer workouts or miss time start of camp hurts his chances which from everything coming out he has a legitimate chance for the 53 man roster.

People have it exactly right. Goodson's blocking was abysmal at Iowa. It's all desire and want to when you have to take on LBs. Maybe if he's getting paid...there is more want to...but at Iowa...he didn't really want too much.
I nice paycheck will make you want to do something you previously did not - business decision.

I highly doubt any Hawk fan in this thread hates him.

Reactions: Ronman
Lot of mocks had him going 6-7 rd so wasn't a foregone conclusion he would be a UDFA. In general it is wise to sit the bowl if you plan to leave for the draft even if undrafted. TG gets hurt in bowl he can't participate in Summer workouts or miss time start of camp hurts his chances which from everything coming out he has a legitimate chance for the 53 man roster.
Even then, it’s different for RBs in the modern NFL. Teams cast them aside far earlier and they make far less than they used to.

Goodson’s low mileage from leaving early was even mentioned as a pro for him in his scouting profiles.

Are we picking up on the fact that so far we have seen a week 2 injury and a post season workout injury to explain people sitting out of bowl games. The fact that they can't produce a list of players injured in the bowl games should show that the risk is a fairly small one. I understand the decision but the rationale isn't really statistically supported.

I have to find the article from Saturday but one of the Packer rags was discussing Friday night's family night scrimmage and had high praise for an UDFA RB. But it wasn't Tyler Goodson, it was former Oregon State RB BJ Baylor that was apparently impressive. It just sounded like there really wasn't a path for Goodson unless their top 2 guys (Taylor and Hill) remain out with injuries but they weren't expecting that. I'm cheering he'll find a fit somewhere. Classy Hawk from a classy family.

Michigan TE Jake Butt fell from an expected first round pick to the fifth round after an infamous bowl game injury.

Miami RB Willis McGahee had his knee blown up in the 2003 national title game, and was still taken with the 23rd overall pick.

Only somewhat related, but this year, Mississippi QB Matt Corral fell from an expected 1st round to the 3rd round, partially due to a bowl game injury, partially due to questions about his character.

Notre Dame LB Jaylon Smith fell from a supposed top 10 pick to #34.

Michigan TE Jake Butt fell from an expected first round pick to the fifth round after an infamous bowl game injury.

Miami RB Willis McGahee had his knee blown up in the 2003 national title game, and was still taken with the 23rd overall pick.

Only somewhat related, but this year, Mississippi QB Matt Corral fell from an expected 1st round to the 3rd round, partially due to a bowl game injury, partially due to questions about his character.

I am sure there are more. But 3-4 from 2003 on? I can understand their decision but it is an extremely small sample size of players impacted. Heck more players impact their draft stock with character issues than bowl game injuries.

"Butt had been a projected Day-2 pick"

I highly doubt any Hawk fan in this thread hates him.
Exactly 83. This is where all these threads go totally sideways all the damn time. TG was a good back, IF he had somewhere to go. Otherwise not so much. Its not hating to simply point out that he didn't do a good job in pass pro, and at times it appeared that he had no interest in that part of his job. After being basically a three year starter, you'd expect some type of improvement if he was really making an effort, and I think most of us just didn't see it. Nobody "hates" the kid. If you want to set that aside for someone who was a Hawk then Wadley can have the first helping. I'll admit to being disappointed about the bowl game, but so be it. Just personal choice, but I'll save my highest respect for guys who finish what they started with THEIR team mates, including a lot of guys we've had who were 1st - 3rd round draft picks who did just that....

Reactions: Arbor1

Just a hypothetical. If a team is only 2-6 on a season should a kid skip the last few games to avoid injury?

Reactions: 1stplacehawk
I am sure there are more. But 3-4 from 2003 on? I can understand their decision but it is an extremely small sample size of players impacted. Heck more players impact their draft stock with character issues than bowl game injuries.

"Butt had been a projected Day-2 pick"

dude, next time do your own ****ing research. you whine for a list, I give you one, then you whine it ain't long enough.

T. Goodson had a damm good season and he was a GREAT HAWK. I would be happy with his production every season. Go Hawks !

dude, next time do your own ****ing research. you whine for a list, I give you one, then you whine it ain't long enough.
Lol.. you made a claim, I asked for it to be supported. The absence of a lengthy list actually supports my position.
The burden of proof usually falls on the person making the claim so dig in and get some results to support your position. Not really much of a ‘whine’

I’m not sure how to read this depth chart. Is Goodson RB3 after Dillon or does it go top row then second row so he’s RB4? I’ve seen people say it both ways but only one way can be correct. TE is screwing it up because they have 1,2,3 which leads me to believe it’s first string in column 1 then second string in column 2.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT