ADVERTISEMENT

Tyler Goodson named #1 Undrafted Free Agent with best chance to make Packer's roster

Sounds like Goodson had a really good day yesterday. If he keeps stacking days and performs well in the preseason he will definitely be their RB3 to start the season.

Reactions: Ree4 and NevadaHawk
Sounds like Goodson had a really good day yesterday. If he keeps stacking days and performs well in the preseason he will definitely be their RB3 to start the season.
Yeah he's going to get a shot in the pre-season games. Likely Packers won't give Dillon and Jones any carries in the pre-season. If Goodson can stay healthy through the pre-season, he has a shot to make the team. I can't emphasize that enough. If he gets an injury that even sidelines him for a week or 2, they'll just get someone else off the street to serve as the third RB. Hopefully he just stays healthy the remainder of pre-season and gets a legitimate shot to make the team. He has some ability and could do some good things in the Packers offense.

People have it exactly right. Goodson's blocking was abysmal at Iowa. It's all desire and want to when you have to take on LBs. Maybe if he's getting paid...there is more want to...but at Iowa...he didn't really want too much.
Thats an interesting point. I was just wondering the same thing after reading this thread. I guess will find out if he was just saving himself from injury, hoping for his payday, or if its just not in him to do it....

Reactions: hawktech
Thats an interesting point. I was just wondering the same thing after reading this thread. I guess will find out if he was just saving himself from injury, hoping for his payday, or if its just not in him to do it....

Unfortunately I think he was saving himself. Skipping the bowl game and his play during the season made this obvious

Unfortunately I think he was saving himself. Skipping the bowl game and his play during the season made this obvious
Skipping the bowl especially for a rb leaving early is the smart thing to do. Yes TG wasn’t the best pass blocker. But the whole saving himself last year I don’t buy it. Even with our awful line he still got 1100+ Yards. All those negative yards rushes from rewatching lot of games it didn’t matter who was back there they were still losing yards even if it wasn’t TG.

Thing is with inexperienced line between the tackle running was tough to come by and a bigger style back would’ve benefited Iowa more like a Coker. As talented as he was his style didn’t fit the make up of Iowa’s team last year. He wasn’t a back who was going to run over anyone and biggest difference was line play from years 1-2 to 3 including experience Ts opening up the outside for him where he was most dangerous in space. But look at the last couple games of the season. He put some good games together rushing for 100+ in multiple of them including Nebraska who had a good run D.

This is a load of crap and disrespectful to TG.

We can acknowledge he was a poor blocker and at times danced too much, but the guy never half-assed it at Iowa.

The way the NFL chews up RBs for pennies on the dollar (compared to other positions, at least), I don't have a problem with him sitting the bowl game.

We can acknowledge he was a poor blocker and at times danced too much, but the guy never half-assed it at Iowa.

The way the NFL chews up RBs for pennies on the dollar (compared to other positions, at least), I don't have a problem with him sitting the bowl game.
You can nitpick his game if you want, but Tyler was nothing but class while he wore the Black and Gold.

Last edited:
Skipping the bowl especially for a rb leaving early is the smart thing to do. Yes TG wasn’t the best pass blocker. But the whole saving himself last year I don’t buy it. Even with our awful line he still got 1100+ Yards. All those negative yards rushes from rewatching lot of games it didn’t matter who was back there they were still losing yards even if it wasn’t TG.

Thing is with inexperienced line between the tackle running was tough to come by and a bigger style back would’ve benefited Iowa more like a Coker. As talented as he was his style didn’t fit the make up of Iowa’s team last year. He wasn’t a back who was going to run over anyone and biggest difference was line play from years 1-2 to 3 including experience Ts opening up the outside for him where he was most dangerous in space. But look at the last couple games of the season. He put some good games together rushing for 100+ in multiple of them including Nebraska who had a good run D.

It is for rbs that are projected to go high in the draft. That wasn't at all the case here

You're entitled to your opinion as am I. He is a good kid with a good family but I think he had more on his mind than winning football games for iowa at times his last year.

It is for rbs that are projected to go high in the draft. That wasn't at all the case here
Doesn’t matter where for a RB it’s smart with higher chance for injury to not play in the bowl game. He had nothing to gain by playing in the bowl. Unless it’s one of the CFP games see more and more guys sit out of bowl games no matter where projected.

Doesn’t matter where for a RB it’s smart with higher chance for injury to not play in the bowl game. He had nothing to gain by playing in the bowl. Unless it’s one of the CFP games see more and more guys sit out of bowl games no matter where projected.

First Hawkeye rb to ever do it..correct me if I'm wrong

Reactions: 24 so far

Didn't lose many yards in the bowl game against Kentucky.

Seeing udfas sit out for "caution" is pretty funny.

Seeing udfas sit out for "caution" is pretty funny.
One he thought he would get drafted. 2nd He’s not the first or last guy to leave for the draft and not get drafted. Lastly he plays in bowl and gets injured hurts his stock more and credit to TG who is playing well in camp and has a legit shot at 53 man roster who didn’t miss anytime since brought on this summer after the draft.

As a rb you have only such a limited time to maximize on your ability to make $ so just like Tyler cook he left when he did to go pro where I bet in the back of his mind he thought maybe a chance he wouldn’t be drafted. hopefully he carves out a roster spot as an Udfa like TC has done.

Reactions: Ree4
Didn't lose many yards in the bowl game against Kentucky.
Well it helped that team we were facing also had DL players, including their best one sit out as well. But I think with our OL last year the bigger backs between the tackles like the Williams at times was more beneficial than Goodson’s style. Credit to our OL maybe best game of year not giving up a sack either in that game.

Reactions: herkhatescy
TG hit the corner as fast as any Iowa rb ive seen outside of wadley. He really came to play on several occasions — i remember the game against 9-0 minnesota in 2019 vividly. he did a great job that day.

All respect to TG15 and that other guy you mention but TB22 was faster and more nimble. Hopefully TG can get an opportunity in the league.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT