ADVERTISEMENT

Tyler Goodson runs 4.42 in the 40

JFC...it was a joke that Breece Hall was never on a team that beat Iowa.

Has anyone stated Iowa has a better history at the position?
Another of your ISU jokes misses the mark. Jeezus, they are cringe worthy even to us Iowa fans. Give it a rest and go bad mouth farmers like you always do on HROT.

Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
I don't think some scouts realized his speed and athleticism. I think the combine numbers could move him into 5th 6th round pick for somebody. But even if he ends up as a UDFA, he has the chance to stick. You see lots of practice squad RBs get chances during the season because of injuries.
Yes will all depend on opportunity. So many RB's you see every year that come out of nowhere to play meaningful snaps for teams. I have no doubt he will work hard and put himself in the best chance to take advantage of any opportunity. Still no guarantee it will work out, but he has the type of character where he will put his best foot forward.

If He doesnt make the NFL He could have a nice career in the CFL, He is the perfect back for a CFL offense, More pass catching and open field space up here .

Reactions: dadster
I am very appreciative of what Goodson did while he played for the Hawks, and I wish him nothing but the best. That being said, I’m looking forward to a lot more runs like the Williams boys hit in the bowl game. Super excited about that.

Agree with this. Tyler usually had a couple really good runs for nice yardage, but I hope we can get to the point where a power run on 3rd and 2 is not a nail biter! I do realize Oline play is a big part of that.

Akrum Wadley ran a 4.54 at the combine a few years back, and although I have nothing but respect for Goodson, I'd take Wadley over him every day of the week and, yes, twice on Sundays. It'll be interesting to see if Goodson is drafted and makes a roster. Personally, I will never understand why Wadley isn't in the league. For the right teams, he could be a star slot receiver. He made some of the most incredible plays in all of Iowa football history, and he made them when they mattered most. Among many other highlights, remember ISU, NW, and PSU. Akrum was a highlight reel every time out.
Goodson is faster than Wadley every was. Wadley was quicker and more elusive which is more valuable to a rb than speed.

Reactions: kceasthawk
Akrum Wadley ran a 4.54 at the combine a few years back, and although I have nothing but respect for Goodson, I'd take Wadley over him every day of the week and, yes, twice on Sundays. It'll be interesting to see if Goodson is drafted and makes a roster. Personally, I will never understand why Wadley isn't in the league. For the right teams, he could be a star slot receiver. He made some of the most incredible plays in all of Iowa football history, and he made them when they mattered most. Among many other highlights, remember ISU, NW, and PSU. Akrum was a highlight reel every time out.
Simple answer for you. It is the NFL and being able to pick up a blitz and make a block or at least an adequate chip is mandatory to protect your QB.
This is the same reason why Fred Russell was so electric, and had a very good NFL pre season but couldn't stick with a team.
Kids, it doesn't matter if you're small or big, if you can't slow down a lb or a safety on a blitz, you will have trouble getting a job in the league unless you're Barry Sanders.

Simple answer for you. It is the NFL and being able to pick up a blitz and make a block or at least an adequate chip is mandatory to protect your QB.
This is the same reason why Fred Russell was so electric, and had a very good NFL pre season but couldn't stick with a team.
Kids, it doesn't matter if you're small or big, if you can't slow down a lb or a safety on a blitz, you will have trouble getting a job in the league unless you're Barry Sanders.

IIRC, Tyler did well picking up blitzes

I can see him being a late round pick. Even if he isn't I think he at least makes a practice squad. He just needs to work on his pass pro and he would make an ideal 3rd down type back.

Parcels spoke about late round drafts and I believe he described a type of choice as: NAH or next available Hawkeye. Goodson at the very least fits this description and will get drafted. He will be a solid player if healthy and I for one am cheering him on.
Probably udfa imo.

i wish him luck but he won go very high unless a team out there loves dancing.
Tyler did a great job for the Hawks. When he gets the ball in space he is a threat to take it to the house every time. As far as dancing, he frequently had no choice when he was encountering defenders 3 yards deep in our backfield. As you recall, sometimes our O-line play wasn't very good last season, yet he still was able to run for over 1100 yards. I think Tyler gets drafted and makes an NFL team.

Reactions: blackett73
Wadley is dead to me. He and all the guys out for the money grab might as well have never stepped foot in Iowa City, and hope they NEVER return.....

IMHO I think Goodson made a mistake going early and is at risk of not being drafted. He lacks vision and power. Danced too much. Couldn't break tackles and doesn't always use his leverage effectively.

He does have good hands and moves well in space but that might not be enough. I don't think the OL was as bad as it looked but that Goodson just wasn't that good without Jackson and Wirfs to blow huge holes on the outside.

At the next level you have to run between the tackles and Goodson was reluctant to do that.

IMHO I think Goodson made a mistake going early and is at risk of not being drafted. He lacks vision and power. Danced too much. Couldn't break tackles and doesn't always use his leverage effectively.

He does have good hands and moves well in space but that might not be enough. I don't think the OL was as bad as it looked but that Goodson just wasn't that good without Jackson and Wirfs to blow huge holes on the outside.

At the next level you have to run between the tackles and Goodson was reluctant to do that.
I mean, Goodson had 2.5 years as a #1 RB.

Was another year really going to change anything you mentioned?

While I'd have liked him back (with one/both of the Williams having an increased role), the nature of RBs in the NFL basically forces him to go and make his money while he can, because they have a limited shelf life and low durability.

Reactions: cmhawks99
I mean, Goodson had 2.5 years as a #1 RB.

Was another year really going to change anything you mentioned?

While I'd have liked him back (with one/both of the Williams having an increased role), the nature of RBs in the NFL basically forces him to go and make his money while he can, because they have a limited shelf life and low durability.
I understand the limited shelf life but I do think he could have improved with another year at Iowa, especially with vision.

I wish him well. I think if he ends up somewhere like New Orleans, where he can showcase his ability to catch out of the backfield he might catch on. He's likely a 3rd down back and special teams player at the next level.

It was time for TGood to go. The Williams boys need their carries and TGood got to the point he was afraid of contact at the point of contact, either laying down or turning his back into it. I’ve never seen anything like it in all my years of playing, coaching, and watching football to see a back not hit the hole hard/go into contact hard and do what he did by giving up at the point of contact. I do wish him well as he was a great guy to have as a Hawkeye, player, student, and person.

It was time for TGood to go. The Williams boys need their carries and TGood got to the point he was afraid of contact at the point of contact, either laying down or turning his back into it. I’ve never seen anything like it in all my years of playing, coaching, and watching football to see a back not hit the hole hard/go into contact hard and do what he did by giving up at the point of contact. I do wish him well as he was a great guy to have as a Hawkeye, player, student, and person.
It wasn't every play but you could see that there were times when he just shrank from contact. Other times he seemed intent on delivering punishment. I think he must have had a stinger or something because it wasn't consistent.

IIRC, Tyler did well picking up blitzes

Espn draft profile​

Goodson has quick feet sifting through traffic as an inside runner. He doesn't show an elite second gear on tape, but he has outstanding timed speed and breaks some long runs. Goodson is undersized with limited power. He's a small target with short arms, but he flashes after the catch. He struggles to square up and anchor in pass pro. -- Steve Muench

Still think a team takes him in the last rd.

Espn draft profile​

Goodson has quick feet sifting through traffic as an inside runner. He doesn't show an elite second gear on tape, but he has outstanding timed speed and breaks some long runs. Goodson is undersized with limited power. He's a small target with short arms, but he flashes after the catch. He struggles to square up and anchor in pass pro. -- Steve Muench

Still think a team takes him in the last rd.
Ah, the short arms issue again....... :rolleyes:

Reactions: michael.nelson311
Your being serious? Thats even worse. Would you like to go back and pull up the 200 odd plays where he freakin wiffed on the pass rusher, or stood their and watched the guy run right past him? I'll stand by my untrained eye that he was one of the worst blitz pick up RB's who ever played regularly for Iowa. 90 % of the time his effort or lack there of was pitiful, and its another reason he's yet to be drafted, as some of the talking heads have already pointed out.

Your being serious? Thats even worse. Would you like to go back and pull up the 200 odd plays where he freakin wiffed on the pass rusher, or stood their and watched the guy run right past him? I'll stand by my untrained eye that he was one of the worst blitz pick up RB's who ever played regularly for Iowa. 90 % of the time his effort or lack there of was pitiful, and its another reason he's yet to be drafted, as some of the talking heads have already pointed out.
Shying away from contact in any form whether it's not running through contact or not sacrificing your body on blocks is the best way to guarantee you won't be in the show.

Please post video of at least 5 of those 200 odd plays. ;)

Please post video of at least 5 of those 200 odd plays. ;)
I wouldn't waste my time.Everyone on here who watched the kid the last three years knows full well he made little effort at pass pro. its not even open for debate, and I'm not sure why you'd choose that sword to die on. Its ridiculous. Almost as bad as watching him back in to the line or simply fall down this year when there was no hole. Clearly he was concerned about injury this year, and tried to protect himself for his future career, which may very well cost him ever having that career......

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT