ADVERTISEMENT

Tyler Goodson runs 4.42 in the 40

Its not a ‘weakness’ , he chose to not engage in pass pro multiple times to the detriment of team fb and specifically our qb’s. TG loved workout videos and open lanes to run ‘fast’. The dirty business of maximizing tough yardage and blocking EVERY play was not his reality - obvious to anyone watching. I am sure it was a dilemma for the coaches seeking consistency of effort and playing time as the value messaging for all players.
Thank you. Trying to play it off like Tyler made a real effort at pass pro is disingenuous at best. Three years and he was no better at it this year then early on. The FACT that he kept playing because he could occasionally provide a long run doesn't hide that fact that he hurt the team in these situations and in short yardage plays.

Reactions: jo2knight
He might of made more NIL money coming back to iowa instead of going to the draft this year but at the detriment of the development of Iowa’s young running backs.

Wish him well as a GB Packer and hope he does better with the # 15 jersey than the last iowa player that had it too! If Goodson makes the team, I’ll have to get Goodson embroidered over Jackson.

Reactions: iahawkeyes17
Yeah ... no Iowa fan should knock Goodson for what he did at Iowa. Impressive young man and he represented the Hawks very well.

As others pointed out ... he had his flaws, but he also helped add some octane to an otherwise anemic Iowa O.

Good luck to Tyler, I hope that he can round out his game and I hope he makes in it the pros. I will continue to cheer for an excellent Hawk.
Yep good post. He wasn’t perfect with some things like pass blocking or what not but he brought a lot to the field. A dynamic big play back Iowa fans were clamoring for since wadley left. I’m not saying on same level but he was one of those backs like Barry sanders give you multiple runs of zero, 1, 2 or negative then bust a big one. Take good with bad. And he was a phenomenal receiver who made a lot of plays in open space out of the backfield for us.

thing hurt him this year was obvious the OL but mainly the T. You saw his first 2 years with great OL and experienced T how effective he was with those outside zone runs. Rewatching btn 60 games like Indiana and psu some of those negative runs he had no prayer. I don’t care who the rb was they were losing yards on some of these poorly blocked plays. With way nfl values rb hurt his draft stock however every year see late rd udfa rb stick and make impacts. Sargent last year decent example. Hopefully Tyler can do it and least make practice squad and work his way up. Look at Lazard for GB. Finally as you stated no one represented Iowa better than Tyler and his family.

Look in the mirror, dude. Seriously.

Frickin' hypocrite.
My God your one ego driven dude aren't you? That you can seriously consider my posts to YOUR constantly trying to control and influence posts and the information discussed here is so far beyond laughable its mind boggling that someone's brain actually works in this manner. 54,000 posts? Seriously? Constantly having to be the first one to put information out there, even running over posts by other members even at times the mods on this forum? You wouldn't know the mirror if it hit you over the head. Regardless that your bio says" HR King", believe it or not, your not OUR King, and we're not your subjects......

Dude played the whole season trying not to get hurt to make money in the NFL.

And then playing that way caused him not to get drafted.

Just play hard, have fun and let the rest sort itself out.
Careful now, or the "HR King" Fran will get after you for bashing poor Tyler with the facts.....

Reactions: weeterkane
Careful now, or the "HR King" Fran will get after you for bashing poor Tyler with the facts.....
Eh, that's too far. There is zero evidence TGoodson played "trying not to get hurt". That reeks of sour grapes.

He had a problem with negative rushes even before this season, it was just exacerbated by the OL issues.

It's just as simple as his vision was always average and blocking was always poor. That being said, he did other things well.

Reactions: HawkinK.C.1
My God your one ego driven dude aren't you? That you can seriously consider my posts to YOUR constantly trying to control and influence posts and the information discussed here is so far beyond laughable its mind boggling that someone's brain actually works in this manner. 54,000 posts? Seriously? Constantly having to be the first one to put information out there, even running over posts by other members even at times the mods on this forum? You wouldn't know the mirror if it hit you over the head. Regardless that your bio says" HR King", believe it or not, your not OUR King, and we're not your subjects......

My god. You're one weird dude.

Everyone can see that your posts in this thread regarding Tyler were flat out ridiculous.

And now you are butt hurt and acting like a child. You're an embarrassment.

Eh, that's too far. There is zero evidence TGoodson played "trying not to get hurt". That reeks of sour grapes.

He had a problem with negative rushes even before this season, it was just exacerbated by the OL issues.

It's just as simple as his vision was always average and blocking was always poor. That being said, he did other things well.

Thank you.

My god. You're one weird dude.

Everyone can see that your posts in this thread regarding Tyler were flat out ridiculous.

And now you are butt hurt and acting like a child. You're an embarrassment.
Everyone? Really? Hardly, but we'll see after a few days. As usual you didn't say anything about your attempts to control information on this forum, but side stepped the whole issue just like you always do. Sorry "king", time for me to step aside. There's no plus side to trying to converse with an ego driven control freak like yourself. Bye now....

As a Bears fan I have a hard time rooting for any Packer unless they are Hawks so good luck to Tyler and thanks for being a solid Hawkeye.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Everyone? Really? Hardly, but we'll see after a few days. As usual you didn't say anything about your attempts to control information on this forum, but side stepped the whole issue just like you always do. Sorry "king", time for me to step aside. There's no plus side to trying to converse with an ego driven control freak like yourself. Bye now....

Yep, everyone can see that your posts in this thread regarding Tyler were flat out ridiculous.

Again, you said this about Tyler in this thread:

* 90% of the time his effort or lack thereof was PITIFUL

* He was the WORST RB you could remember at Iowa in blitz pickup

* He might as well have been out there with a red cape

And, as usual, you didn't say anything about the fact that you are now butt hurt and that you are behaving like a child as a result. Why did you side step all of this, like you always do?

You act like I care what Fran does/thinks. He’s a nobody... we ran him off HROT for being an idiot. Sorry you still have to deal with him here.

Oh, no, Ping thinks I am a nobody! What am I going to do? You are such a clown.

Yeah, Ping, you "ran" me off of HROT. You keep thinking that! I am surprised you have time to leave your extreme left echo chamber on HROT and waddle over here. You really should waddle on back; I am sure they miss you.

Yep good post. He wasn’t perfect with some things like pass blocking or what not but he brought a lot to the field. A dynamic big play back Iowa fans were clamoring for since wadley left. I’m not saying on same level but he was one of those backs like Barry sanders give you multiple runs of zero, 1, 2 or negative then bust a big one. Take good with bad. And he was a phenomenal receiver who made a lot of plays in open space out of the backfield for us.

thing hurt him this year was obvious the OL but mainly the T. You saw his first 2 years with great OL and experienced T how effective he was with those outside zone runs. Rewatching btn 60 games like Indiana and psu some of those negative runs he had no prayer. I don’t care who the rb was they were losing yards on some of these poorly blocked plays. With way nfl values rb hurt his draft stock however every year see late rd udfa rb stick and make impacts. Sargent last year decent example. Hopefully Tyler can do it and least make practice squad and work his way up. Look at Lazard for GB. Finally as you stated no one represented Iowa better than Tyler and his family.
I thought wadley was definitely a better back(not person), which makes him leaving even more odd.

When you're guaranteed a loss you still need to fight to minimize losses, something he rarely did. He tried to dance his way out which doesn't happen often vs a p5 opponent.

Reactions: hawkcub
I invite folks to go back through the tape from this year.

It's true that Goodson was lacking in blitz pick-up early in the season. However, as the season progressed - he DID demonstrate some improvement.

For those who are familiar with psychology and sports psychology - performance CAN be linked to mental "wear and tear." If the blocking hasn't been there for much of the season ... and you keep on getting knocked for negative yardage ... it could be hard for NEARLY ANYONE to go through that unaffected. To a casual fan, maybe it appeared manifest in an "effort issue" ... however, to my eye it very easily could have been the psychological equivalent of "oh f%*k, here we go again" ... and then the leg-drive just isn't the same as it had been.

What is the truth here? I don't know. However, I can say that it is unfair of us to paint an unflattering picture of Goodson when the resolution of our data is insufficient to draw such conclusions.

That needn't stop us from expounding upon speculative critiques ... however, we could certainly frame such critiques in a more considerate fashion.

Just shy of 100% of the touches he got, his style of running with the football sure made it look like his #1 priority was to NOT get hurt.

It was a fairly consistent frustration with him - shoestring tackles, being halfway to the ground prior to contact being made with the tackler, turning his back to the defender etc. I loved how he was a "home run" threat though, that's for damn sure - took several to the house for us.

Good luck in the USFL.

Wow, Fran getting called out for the same crap he does on the basketball board lol. Man Fran, this is a horrible look for you plus you got ran off of HORT 👀👀👀 #yikes #getthisguysomehelp

I have always said that I think Tyler can succeed as a special teams player and a slot WR in the league. He is great in open space and seems to have good enough hands. He will have a great opportunity in GB imo

Wow, Fran getting called out for the same crap he does on the basketball board lol. Man Fran, this is a horrible look for you plus you got ran off of HORT 👀👀👀 #yikes #getthisguysomehelp

Haven't you embarrassed yourself enough, Bruno? After all, the reaction on the basketball board was overwhelming positive when it was suggested that you should enter the transfer portal and find a new team to root for.

What is HORT, by the way?

Over and over again you not only embarrass yourself but you show how incredibly stupid you are.

• Haha
Reactions: BrunoMars420
Haven't you embarrassed yourself enough, Bruno? After all, the reaction on the basketball board was overwhelming positive when it was suggested that you should enter the transfer portal and find a new team to root for.

What is HORT, by the way?

Over and over again you not only embarrass yourself but you show how incredibly stupid you are.
Overwhelming positive by like 5 people lol. Keep stroking your ego there white knight. Seems like you also have a couple of nicknames here as well lol.

I wouldn’t expect you to know what HORT is since the reaction was overwhelmingly positive when you left HROT. #wow

Just shy of 100% of the touches he got, his style of running with the football sure made it look like his #1 priority was to NOT get hurt.

It was a fairly consistent frustration with him - shoestring tackles, being halfway to the ground prior to contact being made with the tackler, turning his back to the defender etc. I loved how he was a "home run" threat though, that's for damn sure - took several to the house for us.

Good luck in the USFL.
That was always his running style. He was never a power or grind it out back. We just noticed it less because he was splitting carries with Sargent, who was great at just getting positive yardage on every carry.

But I was responding to the claim that TG was supposedly holding back to save himself, which is untrue and insulting to him, considering he made a lot of good plays for Iowa and by all accounts was a great teammate.

Overwhelming positive by like 5 people lol. Keep stroking your ego there white knight. Seems like you also have a couple of nicknames here as well lol.

I wouldn’t expect you to know what HORT is since the reaction was overwhelmingly positive when you left HROT. #wow

There it is again....when anyone calls you out on your stupidity, you call them a white knight.

HROT is nothing more than an extreme, left wing echo chamber. You are too stupid to notice, but there aren't too many Iowa fans that are extreme left, bat shit crazy like you. So, all that's left on HROT are people like you; the normal people have left. You are in the minority when it comes to your extremist views. You really should waddle on back over there; I am sure your buddies miss you.

There it is again....when anyone calls you out on your stupidity, you call them a white knight.

HROT is nothing more than an extreme, left wing echo chamber. You are too stupid to notice, but there aren't too many Iowa fans that are extreme left, bat shit crazy like you. So, all that's left on HROT are people like you; the normal people have left. You are in the minority when it comes to your extremist views. You really should waddle on back over there; I am sure your buddies miss you.
I’m Extreme left lolololol

Also do you know what white knight means?

I’m Extreme left lolololol

Also do you know what white knight means?

Die Hard ... always ... Die Hard. :)

950eebd0-402e-4ebd-b65e-1d7730fd7f75_text.gif

I would add on our offensive game plan and "tells" as well to that. Most of his negative plays were because of stunts and blitzes right into his area...almost like the other team knew that we were running and where.

Tyler should have been our backup/third down back the last couple of seasons. He just wasn't a feature back, at least in our offense.

IKM should have had that role, but had too many problems with ball security, some of which were his fault and some just really bad luck at bad times. When he was in there he found holes better and ran harder.

Hope both of them success in whatever they end up doing. Both are really good kids from what I've heard and represented the school very well.

• Haha
Reactions: BBHawk
Tyler should have been our backup/third down back the last couple of seasons. He just wasn't a feature back, at least in our offense.

IKM should have had that role, but had too many problems with ball security, some of which were his fault and some just really bad luck at bad times. When he was in there he found holes better and ran harder.

Hope both of them success in whatever they end up doing. Both are really good kids from what I've heard and represented the school very well.
In all fairness even being COVID year Goodson was still 1st team all Big 10. He played great once he took over as a true freshman to finish out the 19' season. He was one of the better receiving backs Iowa has had in a while too. Even with our bad line he still managed to have over a 1000 yds last year. Besides being able to run over a guy nothing IKM showed over his 5 years at Iowa that he deserved to play or get more snaps than Goodson. On top of it Sargent was a better RB than IKM when they were both here.

Reactions: BBHawk
In all fairness even being COVID year Goodson was still 1st team all Big 10. He played great once he took over as a true freshman to finish out the 19' season. He was one of the better receiving backs Iowa has had in a while too. Even with our bad line he still managed to have over a 1000 yds last year. Besides being able to run over a guy nothing IKM showed over his 5 years at Iowa that he deserved to play or get more snaps than Goodson. On top of it Sargent was a better RB than IKM when they were both here.
Agree to disagree about Goodson vs IKM. I'd rather have a guy reliably get 3 yards when little is there and not be a home run threat than a guy who falls down for 0-1 yards but will bust one once in a while. For our system, guy #1 is far more valuable as an every down back. Problem with IKM was, well, we all know. I'm still not sure where the 1st team B1G selection came from to be honest, Ibrahim beat him in almost every possible rushing stat that year with one less game.

And yes, Sargent was obviously better than IKM when he was here, I wasn't implying IKM should have been over him in 2020. Contrary, I think Sargent fit our system much better than Goodson that year and I think the stats might back that up.

Reactions: Arbor1
Agree to disagree about Goodson vs IKM. I'd rather have a guy reliably get 3 yards when little is there and not be a home run threat than a guy who falls down for 0-1 yards but will bust one once in a while. For our system, guy #1 is far more valuable as an every down back. Problem with IKM was, well, we all know. I'm still not sure where the 1st team B1G selection came from to be honest, Ibrahim beat him in almost every possible rushing stat that year with one less game.

And yes, Sargent was obviously better than IKM when he was here, I wasn't implying IKM should have been over him in 2020. Contrary, I think Sargent fit our system much better than Goodson that year and I think the stats might back that up.
There are 2 RBs every year for 1st team all conference. Both Ibrahim and Goodson were in 20'.

I'm very happy he's with my Packers. I look forward to him making the team and contributing, especially on special teams to start.

Reactions: NevadaHawk
There are 2 RBs every year for 1st team all conference. Both Ibrahim and Goodson were in 20'.
Yes, Goodson in 2020 was tremendous. Spoke to Iowa's better OL and it fit his style to a T. 5.3 yards per carry on 143 carries. Also averaged more than 10 yards per reception on 15 catches. He had a great year and was deserving of first-team all conference.
2021 was curious. Lowest YPC of his career, along with the most volume of carries. Probably combination of worse OL and that he was more effective with lighter workload. He led college football in negative rushing plays in 2021. Those are death knell for Iowa's offense. But people make sweeping generalizations about him based on 2021. Good player who:
  • was behind a bad OL
  • probably tried to do too much at times (just get 1-2 yards instead of looking for big play)
  • Had some issues in pass blocking
  • Probably should have had the ball thrown to him more

Yes, Goodson in 2020 was tremendous. Spoke to Iowa's better OL and it fit his style to a T. 5.3 yards per carry on 143 carries. Also averaged more than 10 yards per reception on 15 catches. He had a great year and was deserving of first-team all conference.
2021 was curious. Lowest YPC of his career, along with the most volume of carries. Probably combination of worse OL and that he was more effective with lighter workload. He led college football in negative rushing plays in 2021. Those are death knell for Iowa's offense. But people make sweeping generalizations about him based on 2021. Good player who:
  • was behind a bad OL
  • probably tried to do too much at times (just get 1-2 yards instead of looking for big play)
  • Had some issues in pass blocking
  • Probably should have had the ball thrown to him more
This, especially your last bullet. It's as if Iowa forgot about the wheel route last year. Iowa had a lot of success with it in prior years but they seemed to forget about it last year. Not sure why.

Packers: 3 pleasant surprises from opening week of training camp

By Freddie Boston
July 29, 2022

#3. RB Tyler Goodson

With Kylin Hill beginning training camp on the PUP list, there is an opportunity for the other running backs to land the number three job behind Aaron Jones and AJ Dillon.

Rookie Tyler Goodson has made an impressive start to training camp.

Goodson has the potential not only to make the Packers’ 53-man roster, but also to contribute on offense behind the two starters.

Host of the Pack-A-Day podcast Andy Herman has been impressed with some of Goodson’s work so far at training camp.

This shouldn’t come as a huge surprise. Goodson is a talented player. Last season at Iowa, he rushed for 1,151 yards and six touchdowns, averaging 4.5 yards per attempt. He is also a good receiver, making 31 catches for 247 yards and a touchdown last year.

Goodson already has a receiving touchdown this week.

There’s a lot of competition at running back. Kylin Hill will be a top contender for the number three job once he returns from injury. But in the meantime, Goodson has an opportunity to make the spot his.

With his ability to play on all three downs, he has every chance of making the Packers’ 53-man roster.

Goodson has made a fast start and will aim to build on it in the coming weeks.

18762468-1.jpeg

Packers: 3 pleasant surprises from opening week of training camp

By Freddie Boston
July 29, 2022

#3. RB Tyler Goodson

With Kylin Hill beginning training camp on the PUP list, there is an opportunity for the other running backs to land the number three job behind Aaron Jones and AJ Dillon.

Rookie Tyler Goodson has made an impressive start to training camp.

Goodson has the potential not only to make the Packers’ 53-man roster, but also to contribute on offense behind the two starters.

Host of the Pack-A-Day podcast Andy Herman has been impressed with some of Goodson’s work so far at training camp.

This shouldn’t come as a huge surprise. Goodson is a talented player. Last season at Iowa, he rushed for 1,151 yards and six touchdowns, averaging 4.5 yards per attempt. He is also a good receiver, making 31 catches for 247 yards and a touchdown last year.

Goodson already has a receiving touchdown this week.

There’s a lot of competition at running back. Kylin Hill will be a top contender for the number three job once he returns from injury. But in the meantime, Goodson has an opportunity to make the spot his.

With his ability to play on all three downs, he has every chance of making the Packers’ 53-man roster.

Goodson has made a fast start and will aim to build on it in the coming weeks.

18762468-1.jpeg

Look at the dingleberry with the Iowa State shirt

• Love
Reactions: Franisdaman
ADVERTISEMENT