ADVERTISEMENT

Tyler Goodson was special from Day 1 and his arrival

cidsports

HB King
Kirk Ferentz has evolved in Iowa City over his 23 years. One player I am grateful to be in Black & Gold is this young man.

His final season wasn't as shining as we would have hoped.

But, Iowa has never gone 10-4 in a season before in College Football. Ever.

The ride up to 6-0 and #2 was very unique. The only two seasons I could compare and put ahead were 1981 and 1985.

Now, I don't want to take away from the top seasons of Kirk Ferentz era. But, this past football season was more like the magic of Kirk Ferentz early times at Iowa.

And, the 1981 Iowa offense wasn't always stellar either. Just look at the score and success in the 1982 Rose Bowl.

Well, like many of my posts, I got off the purpose of this post. And, just how special Tyler Goodson's three seasons at Iowa was to enjoy.

He indeed was a special player at Iowa. As we're Tyler Linderbaum and Dane Belton. As I begin to start my Saturday, I excited for the month of March, in so many ways.

Job 19:7-8, etc. (From a reflection I read this morning, in reflection)

Football’s a tough game, with fearsome obstacles. Sometimes it’s a thing of beauty, as a receiver soars to make a miracle catch. And sometimes it’s pretty ugly. Was the Psalmist describing a busted play when he wrote, “Surely everyone goes around like a mere phantom; in vain they rush about . . .” (Psalms 39:6)?

Or was the prophet envisioning the plight of an awkward flanker: “You will fall in the open field” (Ezekiel 39:5)?

But Job gives us a double football pun: “He has blocked my way so I cannot pass” (Job 19:8). And in case you’re looking for an interference call from the ref, one verse earlier we read, “Though I call for help, there is no justice.”

Life is like football in that way. There can be great joy in the overcoming of obstacles, but also great frustration in the process. We’re blocked from achieving our goals, we rush about, and sometimes we just fall. Much of the Bible describes the difficulty of human life when we don’t rely on God’s support.

Glad to see he is having a good March and good combine. He was a joy to watch in Black & Gold, but as the Book of Job can remind us:

Iowa Football can bring us obstacles and frustration along the journey. Much like 2021-22 has brought us.

peace

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News