ADVERTISEMENT

Tyler Linderbaum Appreciation Thread. Thank you! Go Get Paid. Looking at 4 Year, $13.24M Deal, including a $6.8M Signing Bonus

Guy needs to get out of town. No chance this team achieves anything higher than this year with KF and BF in charge. Go get paid young man and play with a real QB.
Green Bay would be his dream spot, but AR might be moving on to Pitt. Tyler was a lot of fun watching grow up, play ball with my kid, and just a great person. Best of luck to you Ty, Solon is so proud of you.

Interesting, to me at least, that he hasn't announced yet. I'm sure it's a real long shot but I wouldn't be incredibly shocked if he came back. Met he and his dad at Beef Days last year; he couldn't be a nicer, more humble young man.

Just my guesss, but I don't think he wants to leave and is struggling with the decision.

Sometimes people want what's best for others. I'd love to see him back in an Iowa uniform next year but I think he should go get paid.

I think KF will tell him to leave, especially if he's projected as a top 10 pick (or a 1st round pick). That's big time money.

The #10 pick in last year's draft was WR DeVonta Smith, Philadelphia Eagles. DeVonta Smith signed a 4 year, $20,141,390 contract with the Philadelphia Eagles, including a $12,008,284 signing bonus, $20,141,390 guaranteed.

The last pick in the 1st Round (the #32 pick)
in last year's draft was DE Joe Tryon, Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Joe Tryon signed a 4 year, $11,171,237 contract with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, including a $5,484,536 signing bonus, $8,327,887 guaranteed.

I think KF will tell him to leave, especially if he's projected as a top 10 pick (or a 1st round pick). That's big time money.

The #10 pick in last year's draft was WR DeVonta Smith, Philadelphia Eagles. DeVonta Smith signed a 4 year, $20,141,390 contract with the Philadelphia Eagles, including a $12,008,284 signing bonus, $20,141,390 guaranteed.

The last pick in the 1st Round (the #32 pick)
in last year's draft was DE Joe Tryon, Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Joe Tryon signed a 4 year, $11,171,237 contract with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, including a $5,484,536 signing bonus, $8,327,887 guaranteed.
KF won’t tell him to do anything. He’ll let him know where he would be drafted and let him make his own decision.

Reactions: Simbahawk4
KF won’t tell him to do anything. He’ll let him know where he would be drafted and let him make his own decision.

KF won't tell him anything, huh? Well, see the link to the story at the end of this post. Tristan Wirfs said in that story that Kirk Ferentz told him he’s ready for the NFL and had nothing left to prove by playing one more year at Iowa.

As you will read:

“Coach Ferentz gave me some of the best advice for making the decision to come to the next level,” Wirfs said. “He told me, you’ve done everything we’ve asked here and more, you’ve won the games, you’ve given yourself the ability to make this decision, so he said, go enjoy it. You only get to do this one time.”

Wirfs has been a Top 10 pick in some mock drafts, and there’s little doubt that he got the right advice from Ferentz.

KF won't tell him anything, huh? Well, see the link to the story at the end of this post. Tristan Wirfs said in that story that Kirk Ferentz told him he’s ready for the NFL and had nothing left to prove by playing one more year at Iowa.

As you will read:

“Coach Ferentz gave me some of the best advice for making the decision to come to the next level,” Wirfs said. “He told me, you’ve done everything we’ve asked here and more, you’ve won the games, you’ve given yourself the ability to make this decision, so he said, go enjoy it. You only get to do this one time.”

Wirfs has been a Top 10 pick in some mock drafts, and there’s little doubt that he got the right advice from Ferentz.

@Hawks4Life86 didn't write that Ferentz wouldn't tell him "anything." He wrote that Ferentz wouldn't tell Linderbaum what to do. What you quoted doesn't refute what @Hawks4Life86 wrote. What you quoted was Ferentz telling Wirfs that he's given himself the opportunity to make the decision to turn pro and that he should enjoy the process and that you only turn pro once. What you quoted may be Ferentz assuring Wirfs that he's ready for the next level and that he's more than proven himself but it isn't Ferentz telling Wirfs what to do. He gave him information designed to help Wirfs reach a decision. To the extent that Wirfs may have had doubts about whether there was anything left to prove, Ferentz assured him that there was not. Did it play a factor in the decision-making? Obviously it did.

Sometimes people want what's best for others. I'd love to see him back in an Iowa uniform next year but I think he should go get paid.
Ever consider he might WANT to come back, be in an environment where he’s a god for one more year before being a stud, but no god, in the NFL?
Maybe that one year is worth it to him, knowing he’s gonna get paid aftee

People seem to assume that they know what may be the "best" for another person. Seems to me that it is a personal choice and what is "best" for Linderbaum can only be decided by Linderbaum. I won't question his decision either way.

I was responding to this question: "Why are people trying to convince him to leave?". Maybe not everyone on here is selfish and want what is in the best interest of our Hawkeye's. That's what I was getting at, at the end of the day Linderbaum will make the decision that is best for him and I'll be happy for him either way.

Ever consider he might WANT to come back, be in an environment where he’s a god for one more year before being a stud, but no god, in the NFL?

You (among others) missed the point of my post. Again, look at the question I was replying too. Some on here don't just look at what's best for their football team but consider what is best for that person. If he want's to come back to Iowa I'll fully support it and we will have a better team next year because of it.

@Hawks4Life86 didn't write that Ferentz wouldn't tell him "anything." He wrote that Ferentz wouldn't tell Linderbaum what to do. What you quoted doesn't refute what @Hawks4Life86 wrote. What you quoted was Ferentz telling Wirfs that he's given himself the opportunity to make the decision to turn pro and that he should enjoy the process and that you only turn pro once. What you quoted may be Ferentz assuring Wirfs that he's ready for the next level and that he's more than proven himself but it isn't Ferentz telling Wirfs what to do. He gave him information designed to help Wirfs reach a decision. To the extent that Wirfs may have had doubts about whether there was anything left to prove, Ferentz assured him that there was not. Did it play a factor in the decision-making? Obviously it did.

He wrote, and I quote, KF won’t tell him [Tyler] to do anything.

Well, I disagree. Linderbaum is in the same situation as Wirfs and the Wirfs story that I linked is pretty clear on what KF told Tristan.

Kirk essentially told Tristan that coming back to Iowa for another year made no sense; after all, the story states that KF told Tristan he’s ready for the NFL and that Tristan had nothing left to prove by playing one more year at Iowa.

Similarly, Tyler is also ready for the NFL and Tyler has nothing left to prove by playing one more year at Iowa. And when KF tells Tyler that, it is pretty clear that KF is not telling him that coming back to Iowa for one more year would be the correct decision.

My heart sunk at the game when he was helped off the field. The Hawks will be way better if he stays but i don't want to feel that again. I hope he goes pro.

My heart sunk at the game when he was helped off the field. The Hawks will be way better if he stays but i don't want to feel that again. I hope he goes pro.
agreed but what does he have left to prove at this level? Plus he's pretty much a guaranteed 1st round pick. Best center Iowa's had since Luka Garza :)

Reactions: Ree4
He wrote, and I quote, KF won’t tell him [Tyler] to do anything.

Well, I disagree. Linderbaum is in the same situation as Wirfs and the Wirfs story that I linked is pretty clear on what KF told Tristan.

Kirk essentially told Tristan that coming back to Iowa for another year made no sense; after all, the story states that KF told Tristan he’s ready for the NFL and that Tristan had nothing left to prove by playing one more year at Iowa.

Similarly, Tyler is also ready for the NFL and Tyler has nothing left to prove by playing one more year at Iowa. And when KF tells Tyler that, it is pretty clear that KF is not telling him that coming back to Iowa for one more year would be the correct decision.
When you use the word "essentially" your making an assumption or interpreting what he said.......

Reactions: NorHawk16
That doesn't align with Tyler's mindset, nor his values.

Are you assuming what he meant by the word essentially? ;)
Well, he did'nt literally tell Wirfs not to come back. He didn't tell him to go. He said he's ready and there's nothing more to prove at Iowa. The message I get from that is twofold:

1) You're ready.... (obviously)
2) There's nothing to be gained by coming back

So...is that telling him to go? Nope. It's telling him that that there's no monetary or skills growth value to coming back. It does not address, at all, what the player may want. It leaves the door open for that aspect of the decision.

I think you just let Tyler make his decision. It's his to make....and he is the only person that really knows what is right for him. All you pin dicks that keep assuming you know what is best for him....you should stop acting like you know it all, or you're somehow in "the know", or a family member...or whatever the hell it is you think you know. You sound like dip$hits when you do that.

This plays says what Linderbaum is all about.

Thanks for being a Hawk. Now go get rich, kid.

Check this out & Watch:

Some serious speed and tenacity for a college C. Btw, great playcall, not sure we've ran that exact play this year but could be wrong. We use to run the 'roll QB right' throwback screen to TE...that's been a KOK staple since he's been here.

I'm totally against the purpose of this thread. Since when are fans qualified to tell a young man what is best for him in his football career? They are not. Don't know all the variables. I just hope that Tyler has an extra dose of wisdom to help him make the best choice. I'll support him either way.

I'm totally against the purpose of this thread. Since when are fans qualified to tell a young man what is best for him in his football career? They are not. Don't know all the variables. I just hope that Tyler has an extra dose of wisdom to help him make the best choice. I'll support him either way.

I'm pretty certain Tyler isnt leaning on this thread for advice

You are qualified to tell fans though? ;)

It's a message board, everyone needs to lighten the f up.

Tyler will not be swayed by what is on here (or any public forum for that matter). He and his family will have discussions and knowing his family, Tyler will make the final decision with lots of FAMILY input.

agreed but what does he have left to prove at this level? Plus he's pretty much a guaranteed 1st round pick. Best center Iowa's had since Luka Garza :)

I keep hearing he's a top 10 pick.

As I noted above, the #10 pick in last year's draft was WR DeVonta Smith, Philadelphia Eagles.

DeVonta Smith signed a 4 year, $20,141,390 contract with the Philadelphia Eagles, including a $12,008,284 signing bonus, $20,141,390 guaranteed.

Guy needs to get out of town. No chance this team achieves anything higher than this year with KF and BF in charge. Go get paid young man and play with a real QB.

this year's team won 10 games.

Tyler has accomplished all he can at Iowa.

Would I like him back? Sure.

But up to $20 million (guaranteed) is going to be hard to turn down.

Much comes with his choice. If he comes back and plays at the same level, is a unanimous all American again, then he qualifies for the ring of honor with chuck long and all the greats. If he earns a 20 million contract after that it might be worth a year of nfl salary. Who knows what he does after that. Guys like woods and betts back in the program as quality coaches it feels like a legacy may be ready to bloom. Sometimes dollars and cents don’t add up with matters of the heart.

Much comes with his choice. If he comes back and plays at the same level, is a unanimous all American again, then he qualifies for the ring of honor with chuck long and all the greats. If he earns a 20 million contract after that it might be worth a year of nfl salary. Who knows what he does after that. Guys like woods and betts back in the program as quality coaches it feels like a legacy may be ready to bloom. Sometimes dollars and cents don’t add up with matters of the heart.

And speaking of matters of the heart, I think another factor is Iowa City is a really tough place to leave.

On the other hand, he's got his degree.

Lots of pros and cons to weigh.

Reactions: HawkinK.C.1
And speaking of matters of the heart, I think another factor is Iowa City is a really tough place to leave.

On the other hand, he's got his degree.

Lots of pros and cons to weigh.
No, no it's not a tough place to leave.

He has plenty of family here to come back to, there is so much more to this world then IC... ;)

ADVERTISEMENT