ADVERTISEMENT

Tyler Netolicky of Xavier, Jack McCaffery for West.

EastIowaHawk

HR Heisman
Jan 6, 2008
Has anyone seen 6-8 junior Tyler Netolicky of CR Xavier play yet this year? They are undefeated in 3A and considered one of the top five teams in Iowa regardless of class. Those teams are Waukee Northwest, Dubuque Senior, Cedar Rapids Kennedy, Cedar Falls and Xavier. His grandfather (I presume), 6-9 Bob Netolicky, was one of Iowa's all-time great basketball players out of Cedar Rapids Regis, now Xavier. Was an all-American center at Drake and played 11 years professional ball mostly with the Indiana Pacers, scoring almost 10,000 points, hauled in 9,000 rebounds as a pro, was an all-star four times and won two league championships. Forgot to mention that in his best years he averaged 26 points a game. Is this kid remotely as good as his grandpa NETO? Regarding another area player, I watched 6-8 Jack McCaffery play for Iowa City West against Dubuque Wahlert last week, and Fran and Margaret were in attendance at Wahlert gym, maybe to see Jack go up against Wahlert's 6-7 center Duke Faley. However, Faley was injured in the previous game and hasn't played since, including missing the West game. Jack McCaffery had ten points in the loss vs. Wahlert and the 6-3 kid subbing for Faley had 17 in Wahlert's win by 11, which included an 18-2 first quarter lead. Anybody care to comment about these two kids? Xavier played Cedar Falls and won by one point this past week. Faley, a top National Merit-type student will attend Iowa next year on a track scholarship. His dad, "Teddy Jo" Faley was a defensive captain (linebacker) for Iowa football a generation ago. Jack McCaffery never seemed to find his game, and was not especially aggressive. Resembles Patrick more than Conner in appearance..

Last edited:
Has anyone seen 6-8 junior Tyler Netolicky of CR Xavier play yet this year? They are undefeated in 3A and considered one of the top five teams in Iowa regardless of class. Those teams are Waukee Northwest, Dubuque Senior, Cedar Rapids Kennedy, Cedar Falls and Xavier. His grandfather (I presume), 6-9 Bob Netolicky, was one of Iowa's all-time great basketball players out of Cedar Rapids Regis, now Xavier. Was an all-American center at Drake and played 11 years professional ball mostly with the Indiana Pacers, scoring almost 10,000 points, hauled in 9,000 rebounds as a pro, was an all-star four times and won two league championships. Forgot to mention that in his best years he averaged 26 points a game. Is this kid remotely as good as his grandpa NETO? Regarding another area player, I watched 6-8 Jack McCaffery play for Iowa City West against Dubuque Wahlert last week, and Fran and Margaret were in attendance at Wahlert gym, maybe to see Jack go up against Wahlert's 6-7 center Duke Faley. However, Faley was injured in the previous game and hasn't played since, including missing the West game. Jack McCaffery had ten points in the loss vs. Wahlert and the 6-3 kid subbing for Faley had 17 in Wahlert's win by 11, which included an 18-2 first quarter lead. Anybody care to comment about these two kids? Xavier played Cedar Falls and won by one point this past week. Faley, a top National Merit-type student will attend Iowa next year on a track scholarship. His dad, "Teddy Jo" Faley was a defensive captain (linebacker) for Iowa football a generation ago. Jack McCaffery never seemed to find his game, and was not especially aggressive. Resembles Patrick more than Conner in appearance..
Haven't heard much of Netolicky. Haven't seen his name pop up on any of the recruiting rankings. Doesn't mean he's not good, but others would know more.

The youngest McCaffery is a very intriguing prospect. He is so young now so it's very hard to project big guys years into the future. I don't know if Rivals has ranked 2025 prospects yet, I have seen him listed among best players in his class on other sites. My own opinion is he has a chance to be very good. At his size, can handle the ball and step outside and make shots. If he retains those skills as he grows into his body (and even grows another couple of inches) he will be very good.

I’m not convinced CF belongs in that top 5.

I have seen Jack play. I think he has a chance to be the best of the McCaffrey boys. He is predicted to be 6-8” to 6’10” and already has the best looking jump shot of either boy.
Pretty sure he is at least 6'8" already. I agree he has the best looking shot of the bunch. Very good ball handler. Old for his class. My understanding is that Patrick has two more years if he takes his COVID year? I wonder if there is any thought to Jack reclassifying to '24 so that they could play together.

Reactions: Bishop1971
Pretty sure he is at least 6'8" already. I agree he has the best looking shot of the bunch. Very good ball handler. Old for his class. My understanding is that Patrick has two more years if he takes his COVID year? I wonder if there is any thought to Jack reclassifying to '24 so that they could play together.
Not sure Mo. that is interesting. Just my opinion but I would bet that PMac would be the focal point of the offense in ‘23-‘ 24 and see where he is at after that. Meaning is he getting interest from scouts after an all conference B1G season? Can he continue to add muscle and gain weight? We’ll see if he develops into the alpha dog that Fran usually has on his team? To me, he and Perk are going to be the naturally candidates to be the scoring leaders next year. Maybe after next season, his draft stock would be as high as it ever is going to get. He’d be plenty old by then. By some NBA franchise standards, too old!

Bob Netolicky was a GREAT player at Drake when Drake had great teams. He had a terrific career
with the Indiana ABA team and I think he had a big bar/restaurant in Indianapolis. I would like to hear more about Bob if anyone knows him or about his life, during and after basketball. I'm sure it would be interesting.

Bob Netolicky was a GREAT player at Drake when Drake had great teams. He had a terrific career
with the Indiana ABA team and I think he had a big bar/restaurant in Indianapolis. I would like to hear more about Bob if anyone knows him or about his life, during and after basketball. I'm sure it would be interesting.
I talk to a member of the Drake final four team occasionally. Netolicky was older than him but some of the stories about him are pretty wild. Crazy guy.
Drake was very average during Netolicky's career.

Drake had some great teams back then. My high school assistant basketball coaches were Gene West and Gene Bogash. We had some great after practice games.

Drake had some great teams back then. My high school assistant basketball coaches were Gene West and Gene Bogash. We had some great after practice games.
Not during the Netolicky years was Drake great.

Neto was at Drake around the same time Don Smith was at ISU. Not sure, but I think their careers only overlapped one year. Neto was a very good player, as well as a character. He lived off campus with a pet ocelot.

Ironically, he was involved in one of the worst officiating calls I have ever seen. It was at ISU. An ISU player -- I think it was Al Koch but it might have been Bob Ziegler, in any case, no taller than 6-5 -- was in the corner and Neto was guarding him. The ISU player put up a jump shot that Neto speared in mid-air just after it left his hand. The official called goal-tending. The Armory erupted in boos, even though it was a call that benefitted ISU. It was just so awful that the immediate reaction was to boo.

They were damned good. They got great a year or so after he left, when Pulliam and McCarter and Wise and Draper took them to the Final Four.
Never finished over .500 in Valley during Netolicky years.

Never finished over .500 in Valley during Netolicky years.
Really? I hadn't realized that. They tied for the MVC title his freshman year -- he wasn't eligible, of course -- and they got really, really good after he left. That's odd.

In those days, Drake/ISU was a hell of a rivalry. They played twice a year, home and home, and it seemed like they split more often than not. The Valley was probably the toughest league in the country in that general time period: Drake, Louisville, Cincinnati, Wichita State, Bradley.

Really? I hadn't realized that. They tied for the MVC title his freshman year -- he wasn't eligible, of course -- and they got really, really good after he left. That's odd.

In those days, Drake/ISU was a hell of a rivalry. They played twice a year, home and home, and it seemed like they split more often than not. The Valley was probably the toughest league in the country in that general time period: Drake, Louisville, Cincinnati, Wichita State, Bradley.
Damn good league back then. Drake and Bradley only teams left. I think.
Also Memphis and St. Louis.

Netolicky's brother lived 2 houses away from my parents house in Cedar Rapids during the late 60"s. I met him a few times when I was a kid.

For years, he was associated with the Indianapolis Auto Auction. My folks worked for our local Chevy dealership, so I got the opportunity to take cars there. I got a few chances to talk to him occasionally. A really super nice guy and a good story teller. Those ABA years were crazy. The thing about the Pacer teams of that era was how close they were, almost like a family. Many still live in the Indianapolis area.

Omg we used to play against the old farts in the ymca league they also had dolph.

I had a very good friend at Marshalltown Community College who was from Cedar Rapids. He had a boat house located on the river in the park in Cedar Rapids. It was a two car garage on pontoons with lots of shag carpet, a bar, a small powder room, refrigeration, a heater and some mattresses and it had the double door facing the water which made it great in the warmer weather. It was a Party Boat.
And the area was a party area and Bob Netolicky partied a lot in that area back then with his ocelot. He was from another planet.

I had a very good friend at Marshalltown Community College who was from Cedar Rapids. He had a boat house located on the river in the park in Cedar Rapids. It was a two car garage on pontoons with lots of shag carpet, a bar, a small powder room, refrigeration, a heater and some mattresses and it had the double door facing the water which made it great in the warmer weather. It was a Party Boat.
And the area was a party area and Bob Netolicky partied a lot in that area back then with his ocelot. He was from another planet.
Oh yes, Ellis Park - the big park to drink beer, throw frisbee, and socialize. I practically grew up there in my high school and early post-HS years in the summer. Never did the house boat thing but know exactly where it is.

Your friend's account certainly squares with my recollection of that area for sure...

Oh yes, Ellis Park - the big park to drink beer, throw frisbee, and socialize. I practically grew up there in my high school and early post-HS years in the summer. Never did the house boat thing but know exactly where it is.

Your friend's account certainly squares with my recollection of that area for sure...
Yes, Ellis Park. I could not remember the name of that Park. Winter, or Summer, had some great parties at that houseboat. I have an old polaroid picture of me and my New Year's Eve date frolicking and making out in about 18 inches of new snow one year.

Reactions: skydog0784
ADVERTISEMENT