ADVERTISEMENT

Tyler Nickel

GunnerHawk

HR All-American
Mar 16, 2014
Saw he is visiting the weekend of September 17th, Kent State home game. This Young man is a Joe W. clone with more length. He has always been high on my list of players to get. Not sure we can pull him to the Midwest from out East but he and Bowen would be two very good additions to this class.

The classic example of the recruiting dilemma for Iowa (and many others) - loyalty to a program that has been recruiting him long and hard with a great family environment versus a high profile program coming in relatively late as I think it comes down to IA vs UNC.

Personally, I really like our chances with Tyler.

Regardless of final outcome, this is another prime example of Fran’s recruiting success. Same with Flip Filipnowski (sp?). He recruits largely within the rules with some recruiting disadvantages to overcome (as discussed many times). He’s a fantastic recruiter IMO.

The classic example of the recruiting dilemma for Iowa (and many others) - loyalty to a program that has been recruiting him long and hard with a great family environment versus a high profile program coming in relatively late as I think it comes down to IA vs UNC.

Personally, I really like our chances with Tyler.

Regardless of final outcome, this is another prime example of Fran’s recruiting success. Same with Flip Filipnowski (sp?). He recruits largely within the rules with some recruiting disadvantages to overcome (as discussed many times). He’s a fantastic recruiter IMO.
I’ll give him fantastic eye for talent. But not a fantastic recruiter. So many times he’s identified kids as freshman or sophomores that he offers and then they blow up and go elsewhere. Cook and Garza are the only major recruits he’s closed the deal on that didn’t have Iowa ties so far.

I’ll give him fantastic eye for talent. But not a fantastic recruiter. So many times he’s identified kids as freshman or sophomores that he offers and then they blow up and go elsewhere. Cook and Garza are the only major recruits he’s closed the deal on that didn’t have Iowa ties so far.
Agree, he tends to be in early with guys that end up being very good. Hopefully more of those guys end up coming to Iowa (need only 1-2 per year).

Reactions: kceasthawk

I argue he’s a great recruiter to even be a finalist with these top tier recruits - although no direct reward for being a finalist, there are indirect rewards with recruits and AAU/HS coaches talking with each other, recruiting sites and analysts visibility, etc.

You could argue he’s not a great closer but IA has several recruiting disadvantages (and advantages too) for national, elite recruits.

Fran landing Garza & Cook with no ties to Iowa, and to a lesser degree landing Woody over UNC, Gessell over Stanford and his native NE, Uthoff transferring back was impressive, and Mulvey (over Syracuse, VT, and PSU all closer to his home).

No coach in the country secures commitments from all recruits even if they are finalists. The recruiting success Fran has enjoyed is pretty impressive I think.

Last edited:
I guess Mulvey is another kid that McCaffery has known for most of his life. I hope he's right about him and he is ready to explode and become a big time player.

Reactions: skydog0784
I argue he’s a great recruiter to even be a finalist with these top tier recruits - although no direct reward for being a finalist, there are indirect rewards with recruits and AAU/HS coaches talking with each other, recruiting sites and analysts visibility, etc.

You could argue he’s not a great closer but IA has several recruiting disadvantages (and advantages too) for national, elite recruits.

Fran landing Garza & Cook with no ties to Iowa, and to a lesser degree landing Woody over UNC, Gessell over Stanford and his native NE, Uthoff transferring back was impressive, and Mulvey (over Syracuse, VT, and PSU all closer to his home).

No coach in the country secures commitments from all recruits even if they are finalists. The recruiting success Fran has enjoyed is pretty impressive I think.
You might also suggest that although Fran didn't land Tyler Ulis, the way he handled his recruitment and the grace when we lost him literally the last few days to Kentucky, put Iowa in good stead with the family to land Ahron, who may turn out to be a very solid player himself now that his wrist is healthy.

What are Iowa States recruiting advantages compared to Iowa???
Game atmosphere has got to be one. Carver can be kind of a turd sometimes whereas Hilton's atmosphere has its own marketable nickname.

I don't think kids pick schools based on the arena, but definitely helps make an impression on a visit.

I suspect UNC is no longer in the running for Nickel. Technically, they are out of scholarships for 2022, but there is the assumption that there will be some premature attrition. How much is speculative, but a minimum of two is the prevailing opinion. That said, he isn't a critical need, and UNC has some targets a bit higher on their recruiting board than Nickel. I imagine Coach Davis' attention will not be focused on him. If they miss on the elite prospects, there is always the transfer portal next spring. If there is local competition for Nickel, I imagine it will be Va Tech. Among other things, they are only a couple of hours down I-81 from Elkton.

Last edited:
I suspect UNC is no longer in the running for Nickel. Technically, they are out of scholarships for 2022, but there is the assumption that there will be some premature attrition. How much is speculative, but a minimum of two is the prevailing opinion. That said, he isn't a critical need, and UNC has some targets a bit higher on their recruiting board than Nickel. I imagine Coach Davis' attention will not be focused on him. If they miss on the elite prospects, there is always the transfer portal next spring. If there is local competition for Nickel, I imagine it will be Va Tech. Among other things, they are only a couple of hours down I-81 from Elkton.
Good points. If it plays out that way, I feel better going up against VT than UNC. Proximity to his hometown could be a significant obstacle for us.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mohawkeye
Iowa is still Tyler's only scheduled visit. He did have an unofficial to Va. Tech. Read where NC had four coaches at one of his summer games. Sounds like they really want him. Would really stink if we lose two of our top prospects to late offers from Duke and NC.

Nickel would fit in nicely at the wing to take Joe's slot.

Reactions: NevadaHawk
Iowa is still Tyler's only scheduled visit. He did have an unofficial to Va. Tech. Read where NC had four coaches at one of his summer games. Sounds like they really want him. Would really stink if we lose two of our top prospects to late offers from Duke and NC.

I don’t think we lost Flip due to Duke offer.

If it wasn't Duke it would have been Kentucky, UM, OSU, IU or other list of schools after him

We weren’t getting him even if Duke had not offered

like other poster mentioned, it seemed like Michigan, Indiana and OSU had better shot and then Kentucky offered

he wasn’t coming to Iowa
Gotcha now, and totally agree. He liked Fran and the visit was a free trip and a tip of the cap to Fran and staff for the relationship, the pity first date if you will "you're a great guy and all, but this isn't going to work out. "

Reactions: Ronman and bdg8

I think Fran is still improving as a recruiter. Each year he stays and wins is another notch in his belt to prove his stability and success story. This year he can sell the fact he had two players drafted in the NBA, not many programs can say that. He’s definitely improved since the disastrous year of Wagner/Williams et al.

I believe that in the end the home state school is the biggest competition/threat. AGAIN Fran identified and got in on this young man early, has established a great relationship, told him that Joe W’s role is how he would fit. Joe gets drafted and we have a lot in our favor. Of course the kid has just killed it this summer…..

All that said, I have no inside knowledge or special insight…just my guess and hopefully I’m wrong and the close to home factor isn’t the deciding factor.

We weren’t getting him even if Duke had not offered

like other poster mentioned, it seemed like Michigan, Indiana and OSU had better shot and then Kentucky offered

he wasn’t coming to Iowa
You are probably right but it has to be frustrating to Fran and staff to work so hard only to have the blue bloods sweep in late and get these kids with an offer. Relationships be damned. I commend Fran for trying though.

You are probably right but it has to be frustrating to Fran and staff to work so hard only to have the blue bloods sweep in late and get these kids with an offer. Relationships be damned. I commend Fran for trying though.
It’s part of his job. Just like any salesman. You hear no a lot and I am sure he has kind of gotten use to the process, like most coaches

It’s part of his job. Just like any salesman. You hear no a lot and I am sure he has kind of gotten use to the process, like most coaches
But he's hearing "no" from a much better class of players these days. Still hurts to be the bridesmaid (or worse) over and over, but at least he's getting some of these better players on campus for a visit. Maybe other players notice that.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
WRT UNC and Tyler Nickel, keep an eye on Cam Whitmore's recruitment. Both players have scheduled OVs to North Carolina. Conventional wisdom says Carolina would prefer Whitmore, but will take Nickel if Whitmore commits elsewhere, or, possibly, takes too long in coming to a decision. Also, Whitmore is being recruited by a few powerhouses including UCLA, Villanova, & Florida. He also has offers from the local schools (Maryland & Gerogetown), and he has an offer from Notre Dame, and the Irish have had a lot of success recruiting kids from DeMatha. Among other unknowns is how obvious is it thatUNC is slow-playing Nickel, and how does he feels about it? Regardless, Coach Davis must be feeling confident he'll have some premature attrition in the spring to open up a scholarship.

WRT UNC and Tyler Nickel, keep an eye on Cam Whitmore's recruitment. Both players have scheduled OVs to North Carolina. Conventional wisdom says Carolina would prefer Whitmore, but will take Nickel if Whitmore commits elsewhere, or, possibly, takes too long in coming to a decision. Also, Whitmore is being recruited by a few powerhouses including UCLA, Villanova, & Florida. He also has offers from the local schools (Maryland & Gerogetown), and he has an offer from Notre Dame, and the Irish have had a lot of success recruiting kids from DeMatha. Among other unknowns is how obvious is it thatUNC is slow-playing Nickel, and how does he feels about it? Regardless, Coach Davis must be feeling confident he'll have some premature attrition in the spring to open up a scholarship.

This is really good information (an anomaly on this board aside from my extraordinary posts :)).

Please keep them coming as you learn more. Nickel would be a great get for IA.

Reactions: perryhawk
It looks like LSU offered Nickel in June of last year, and since then they've gotten commitments from a 4 star SG and 4 star SF. Maybe they have room for Tyler as well, I have no clue what their needs are, but it's something to know.

Reactions: skydog0784
This is really good information (an anomaly on this board aside from my extraordinary posts :)).

Please keep them coming as you learn more. Nickel would be a great get for IA.
FYI, UNC is keeping mum on the date of Nickel's OV, however Whitmore is visiting on Aug 22nd & 23rd. Whitmore also has a later visit to Illinois, and has visited Villanova and Maryland. I haven't seen a mention of Notre Dame or Louisville. Regardless, keep an eye on Whitmore. If UNC wows him with the visit, and he commits, then Nickel will likely be deciding between VT and Iowa.

FYI, UNC is keeping mum on the date of Nickel's OV, however Whitmore is visiting on Aug 22nd & 23rd. Whitmore also has a later visit to Illinois, and has visited Villanova and Maryland. I haven't seen a mention of Notre Dame or Louisville. Regardless, keep an eye on Whitmore. If UNC wows him with the visit, and he commits, then Nickel will likely be deciding between VT and Iowa.

Great info 73CAV… Keep em coming! Thanks again…

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT