ADVERTISEMENT

Tyreke Locure

I’m sure the big schools are waiting for the summer evaluation period before starting to offer.

I could see Iowa offering him if Carton and Tyrell Terry commit elsewhere early on.

I really feel that Iowa's staff will try to get a commitment out of Carton before the summer AAU ball as a couple of other bodies are needed. I am guess that Tyler will move on after next season whether or not he develops a consistent 12 to 18 jump shot. Tyreke may be fast and explosive at times but at barely 5'10', he is not the high caliber recruit that Tyler Ulis was. Tyreke may be on UNI/ Drake level.

Carton has to like the talent Iowa is collecting now in Pat McC, Wieskamp and hopefully, Xavier Foster. Curious about Issa Samake. I would prefer EJ Liddell at this point and time.

Iowa will probably need to land a HQ combo guard like Jalen Suggs for support at PG position in 2020.

Reactions: Bobhaywood
I really feel that Iowa's staff will try to get a commitment out of Carton before the summer AAU ball as a couple of other bodies are needed. I am guess that Tyler will move on after next season whether or not he develops a consistent 12 to 18 jump shot. Tyreke may be fast and explosive at times but at barely 5'10', he is not the high caliber recruit that Tyler Ulis was. Tyreke may be on UNI/ Drake level.

Carton has to like the talent Iowa is collecting now in Pat McC, Wieskamp and hopefully, Xavier Foster. Curious about Issa Samake. I would prefer EJ Liddell at this point and time.

Iowa will probably need to land a HQ combo guard like Jalen Suggs for support at PG position in 2020.

I don't think very many people considered Ulis a high caliber recruit at the same stage.

I remember the guy from Illinois on here telling everyone he wasn't a major conference player.

Reactions: Lumas Etima
Let's take as many athletic point guards as we can get right now. You can win in college basketball by playing 3-4 guards and a forward. It's very hard to win playing no true point guard and mostly forwards.

Sanity.

It blows my mind when people get offended at the idea of adding more pgs. Are we watching the same 19 loss team?

Issa Samake really intrigues me. Looking forward to seeing what he can do against better competition on the Summer Circuit.

Reactions: Hammer93
Tyreke Locure averaged 28.1 points, 3.9 steals, and 6.9 assists per game for Des Moines North during the 2017-18 season. Locure was named on the class 4A first team for 2018.

First video of Tyreke Locure was a game between North and Hoover in December. The second video is a junior season mixtape.

Looks like he has his offense down. What are his shooting percentages?

Anyone seen his defense, or know of his academic side?

Looks like he has his offense down. What are his shooting percentages?

Anyone seen his defense, or know of his academic side?
Since Drake has offered, I have to believe his academics are fine. No idea on defense. My guess is the knock on him is his size and potentially his attitude (just based on what’s been posted here).

Reactions: danloney
Statistics would indicate we have one of the best point guards in the B1G. We need a wing guard. We are more than fine at pg.

Yeah can we just say we need more good players? Regardless of position? Iowa can use as many good athletes as it can get who can pass, dribble, shoot and defend. It would be fine if Iowa had another good ball-handling guard to go along with Bohannon.

Statistics would indicate we have one of the best point guards in the B1G. We need a wing guard. We are more than fine at pg.
Statistics also indicate we have THE worst defensive point guard in the big ten. Statistics also dont show the 10 seconds it takes to start the offense because our point guard gets guarded at half court and cant dribble around anyone. I love jbo, but he needs to play off the ball instead of bringing it up the court

I’m assuming we do not get our top targets at PG including Carton. This might be a player we could take a flier on that would come in with something to prove. He does things we need from the PG position.

I assume there are red flags related to attitude and if he can make it socially or academically at Iowa. Not every player can but again he might be worth taking a flier on when the other options do not materialize. If he does not pan out both sides move on.

Tyreke can play. However, if he was 6'1 he would be a 4 star. Right now he is a short player so probably be a good add late in the recruiting process for someone who needs a point guard.

The issue isn't "Bohannon". The issue is what he is being asked to do vs. what he is capable of and lack of other guys capable of mitigating the deficiencies. If the 2 or 3 had handles or were more dynamic, Bohannon would not face the intense ball pressure he gets and would be able to get better looks. Because every team we face can negate Moss and Baer with minimal effort, more falls on Bohannon's shoulders. As bad as Iowa was this past season, you put a change of pace PG on the team and I think they make the NIT.

I completely agree. Bohannon is essentially being asked to play out of position.

I compare him to former Iowa St Jake Sullivan. Both are high level spot shooters and are at their best when they can run off a screen or take open 3's in transition. Jake Sullivan scored 1800 points for Iowa St.

The issue isn't "Bohannon". The issue is what he is being asked to do vs. what he is capable of and lack of other guys capable of mitigating the deficiencies. If the 2 or 3 had handles or were more dynamic, Bohannon would not face the intense ball pressure he gets and would be able to get better looks. Because every team we face can negate Moss and Baer with minimal effort, more falls on Bohannon's shoulders. As bad as Iowa was this past season, you put a change of pace PG on the team and I think they make the NIT.

Tyreke can play. However, if he was 6'1 he would be a 4 star. Right now he is a short player so probably be a good add late in the recruiting process for someone who needs a point guard.

We spent a lot of time and effort recruiting a smaller PG in Tyler Ullis.

Yeah can we just say we need more good players? Regardless of position? Iowa can use as many good athletes as it can get who can pass, dribble, shoot and defend. It would be fine if Iowa had another good ball-handling guard to go along with Bohannon.
I see you’re both right. From the combination of points, 3pters, and assists, JB is a unique player, statistically more unique than Tyler Cook. You find someone to fit with that player. Ideally, we could use a lead guard, someone who can break a D down off the dribble, someone who can pass, but doesn’t have to specialize in assists. JB does that. Someone who can shoot to keep a D honest, but who doesn’t have to specialize in shooting. JB does that. My point is that another PG isn’t technically ideal- a lead guard is. Going into this year, I thought Moss had the potential to serve as that, force a D to double team him off the dribble, while shooting a good %. He’s only partly there.

I see you’re both right. From the combination of points, 3pters, and assists, JB is a unique player, statistically more unique than Tyler Cook. You find someone to fit with that player. Ideally, we could use a lead guard, someone who can break a D down off the dribble, someone who can pass, but doesn’t have to specialize in assists. JB does that. Someone who can shoot to keep a D honest, but who doesn’t have to specialize in shooting. JB does that. My point is that another PG isn’t technically ideal- a lead guard is. Going into this year, I thought Moss had the potential to serve as that, force a D to double team him off the dribble, while shooting a good %. He’s only partly there.

How about Dailey? He can do a little bit of everything and then you slide Moss back to the 3. I think those 3 on the court together would have been interesting but Fran was obsessed with trying to play all of his 4’s and starting Baer at the three.

I guess what I don't understand how anybody can transpose Dailey and Moss into being more than what they've always shown, while Fran has recruited two guys coming in this year to play their position(s).

Call me crazy, but I believe the verdict is already in with Fran as far as the 2 and 3. Sure, logic dictates they should as they mature get "better" meaning more consistent...but neither is really a capable ball handler to begin with - nor reliable scorers.

Fran thought he's have CWill and his son as backups this year and both of those went awry - which makes it difficult to change directions right before signing day. What's he supposed to do in October when CWill decides to xfr? Tell Fredrick, a guy he promised a schollie to if one opened up, "hey, I lied, no scholarship for you"?

JoBo would be a helluva lot better PG if he had a reliable 2 AND 3 to pass it to - players that can handle the ball in a half court set as well as be consistent threats to score in a half court set.

Yes, Iowa needs another point. Badly. Conner will help with that, but also is probably not the only solution there either. But to dismiss not needing better 2's and 3's outside of whom they already got and to say "a better point is the solution" is ridiculous.

Fran is hammering points for the '19 class cause at this moment, that's where the next opening is and where the need is. If one opens up (looking more and more likely it isn't going to happen), my bet is it'll be a point.

Any word what AAU team Locure will be playing this summer? I thought I heard his previous team asked him to not return due to a difference in style.

I guess what I don't understand how anybody can transpose Dailey and Moss into being more than what they've always shown, while Fran has recruited two guys coming in this year to play their position(s).

Call me crazy, but I believe the verdict is already in with Fran as far as the 2 and 3. Sure, logic dictates they should as they mature get "better" meaning more consistent...but neither is really a capable ball handler to begin with - nor reliable scorers.

Fran thought he's have CWill and his son as backups this year and both of those went awry - which makes it difficult to change directions right before signing day. What's he supposed to do in October when CWill decides to xfr? Tell Fredrick, a guy he promised a schollie to if one opened up, "hey, I lied, no scholarship for you"?

JoBo would be a helluva lot better PG if he had a reliable 2 AND 3 to pass it to - players that can handle the ball in a half court set as well as be consistent threats to score in a half court set.

Yes, Iowa needs another point. Badly. Conner will help with that, but also is probably not the only solution there either. But to dismiss not needing better 2's and 3's outside of whom they already got and to say "a better point is the solution" is ridiculous.

Fran is hammering points for the '19 class cause at this moment, that's where the next opening is and where the need is. If one opens up (looking more and more likely it isn't going to happen), my bet is it'll be a point.

Yep, and this is why the team was better with Jok.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK

Statistics like being last in defensive efficiency amoung p5 teams?

We must not be watching the same 19 loss team.

Everything about this team doesnt work.

Lots of potentially good pieces that dont compliment eachother.

A pg would be the most impactful piece that could be added right now that would help the other pieces be more successful, especially Jordan.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT