ADVERTISEMENT

Tyrell Terry offered by Indiana

perryhawk

HR Legend
Apr 3, 2008
Perry, Iowa
Not sure if everyone had seen this......I feel like this kind of validates Fran's early effort and in with this young man. It also speaks to why the uptick in interest Iowa is apparently showing in Tyreke Locure in recent weeks.

I also read somewhere that this 2019 class is very thin at PG......we could go into 2020 for a PG if these current offers don't pan out?

Does this mean Carton told them no?

I don't think he's even told IUPUI no.

Could just be bet hedging by the Hoosiers, which means they aren't 100% sure they'll get Carton. Maybe they are trying to capitalize off of the Langford mojo to push DJ to commit now, before he has a chance to take officials at Michigan, OSU and Iowa, but I really doubt that would work unless he really, really likes IU, more than the other schools right now.

The thing about Terry, is that he already has experience playing with PMac. And is getting more. That's a bonus.

DJ has said he is trimming his list of schools in May. So that should be soon.

I would like to take 2 PGs this next class. We will need it. And as Fran has shown in the past, he plays 2 PGs at a time quite often. His better teams at Iowa have had 2 PGs playing a lot together...
A combination of DJ, Terry or Locure works for me! :)

The thing about Terry, is that he already has experience playing with PMac. And is getting more. That's a bonus.

DJ has said he is trimming his list of schools in May. So that should be soon.

I would like to take 2 PGs this next class. We will need it. And as Fran has shown in the past, he plays 2 PGs at a time quite often. His better teams at Iowa have had 2 PGs playing a lot together...
A combination of DJ, Terry or Locure works for me! :)

I hate the prospect of taking two PG's in the same class, just as we did with Gesell and Clemmons. Its just bad planning and will effectively shut us out of any PG prospects for three years, then rinse and repeat. I know this thread isn't about roster construction and how Fran has distributed his scholarships, but cringe at the prospect of taking two PG's yet again in the same class.

Miller continuing the creaning process?? Their website for last year has roster of 17 and 5 SRs which gets them down to 12 - 1 scholarship available.

They have 5 commitment from 4-5 $tar guys and offering Terry?

Granted I don't follow Indiana that close. Don't know if anyone else left and some of the 17 had to be walkons. There had to be some shoved out the door to make room for the 5, 6, 7 new guys coming in

Miller continuing the creaning process?? Their website for last year has roster of 17 and 5 SRs which gets them down to 12 - 1 scholarship available.

Granted I don't follow Indiana that close. Don't know if anyone else left and some of the 17 had to be walkons. There had to be some shoved out the door to make room for the 5, 6, 7 new guys coming in

facepalm.jpeg

Seriously?

I hate the prospect of taking two PG's in the same class, just as we did with Gesell and Clemmons. Its just bad planning and will effectively shut us out of any PG prospects for three years, then rinse and repeat. I know this thread isn't about roster construction and how Fran has distributed his scholarships, but cringe at the prospect of taking two PG's yet again in the same class.

Of course it wont. Fran choose to pass on Monte Morris the next year and then put all of his eggs in the Ulis basket. Ulis knew he would start at Iowa, he wasn't worried about what Iowa had, he just choose the better option in Kentucky.

Everyone is playing 3 and 4 guard lineups now except for Fran. We need to have and play more guards not less.

Carton especially is big, strong and athletic enough to play any back court spot. Not to mention could leave early.

I don't know much about Terry but I would have no problem with taking all 3 "pgs" in this discussion.

Which players were "shoved" out the door? You should have just stopped after saying "Granted I don't follow Indiana that close."

Last edited:
Not sure if everyone had seen this......I feel like this kind of validates Fran's early effort and in with this young man. It also speaks to why the uptick in interest Iowa is apparently showing in Tyreke Locure in recent weeks.

I also read somewhere that this 2019 class is very thin at PG......we could go into 2020 for a PG if these current offers don't pan out?
I think just the opposite is true, 2019 is fairly deep in point guards. I wouldn’t read a lot into any of it, both Indiana and Iowa are covering their bases.

I think PG is considered thinner in 2019 from a pro-potential standpoint. Plenty of high major talents. 2020 looks like it's going to be an amazing PG class as it stands now. We'll have to see how the NBA draft rules go to know how many will actually be available

I think it is more common for teams to play at least three guys with perimeter skills, but basketball metrics are changing how many coaches approach the game. Three point shooting is becoming more and more important.

I would like to see Fran get a guard with PG skills in both 2019 and 2020, assuming we are not adding someone late this year.

Most teams have multiple point guards. We barely have one. If we can secure 2 PG's we need to get them onboard. You rag on the Gessell and Clemons roster move but those guys were both high minute guys and could play at same time. So we are still reeling from the Gessel/Clemmons recruiting strategy? I think not. If anything our lack of point guards since their departure has left the door wide open and we have yet to land anyone outside of two combo guards, one being related to our head coach.

Reactions: Ihawkhoops
Most teams have multiple point guards. We barely have one. If we can secure 2 PG's we need to get them onboard. You rag on the Gessell and Clemons roster move but those guys were both high minute guys and could play at same time. So we are still reeling from the Gessel/Clemmons recruiting strategy? I think not. If anything our lack of point guards since their departure has left the door wide open and we have yet to land anyone outside of two combo guards, one being related to our head coach.

Where you been Kilroy?

I don’t disagree multiple point guards on a team is necessary. I never said anything negative about gesell and Clemmons (note spelling) as players. I do take issue with the thought of once again taking multiple point guards in the same class. Balancing classes and positions hasn’t proven to be a strength of Fran at Iowa.

Villanova - 4 guards starting. And the 5th being a 6'9" forward.
Loyola - 4 guards starting.
Michigan - 3 guards starting. And a 6'7" swing player.
Kansas - 4 guards starting. And a 7'0" center.

I could continue to the Great Eight. But do I really need to...?

Nova started 3 guards, not 4.

Iowa could add both Terry and Carton and easily start both. I’ve seen both play in person, Carton much more athletic with a great handle, great vision, and can get to the rim. Terry has a smooth shot and good handles but would be great off the ball as well. I still don’t understand the people that can’t get positionless basketball through their head. We don’t need a starting line up that goes 6’, 6’6, 6’8, 6’10, 7’. We need the 5 best players on the court. If that means you bring in two ball handlers that can shoot that are both around 6’2 then you do that and put them both out there.

Reactions: 01135965
Fran had multiple guards injured last year, signed two guards this year, and people are legitimately trying to complain that Fran doesn’t care about guards.

Not if you’re going to present arguments that aren’t factual.

Nobody is complaining about the need for guards, just that bringing in multiple PG in the same class is problematic and not ideal. We are already in a difficult position recruiting point guards with the coaches son on the roster, I would offer we need reinforcements at the off guard and wing position. With joe and CJ arriving this year and hopefully a healthy McCaffery, the need to bring in two PG in 2019 seems unwise to me considering our current roster composition.

Reactions: StatisticsLie
Balancing classes is great, but if Fran can get two top guards to commit in 2019, I certainly won't complain.

This program needs to demonstrate that it is moving forward, or it will be even harder to get guys to commit. My preference would be grad transfer, a PG in 2019 (DJ), and another PG in 2020 (Suggs). That isn't likely, but you can dream. We need some guys who can run the team, because there are some other nice pieces to the puzzle already on the team.

Funny how people used to defended the idea of positionless basketball but now they need a very strict definition of what is a pg vs off guard vs forward.

Whatever. If you can handle, shoot and defend the perimiter the definition of guard works for me.

Carton can play any backcourt position. To pass up on talent that can do what your team lacks would be stupid.

For instance a lineup of Terry, Carton, Connor, Wieskamp and a big would be far preferable to the lineups weve had the last couple years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hawki45
Not if you’re going to present arguments that aren’t factual.

Nobody is complaining about the need for guards, just that bringing in multiple PG in the same class is problematic and not ideal. We are already in a difficult position recruiting point guards with the coaches son on the roster, I would offer we need reinforcements at the off guard and wing position. With joe and CJ arriving this year and hopefully a healthy McCaffery, the need to bring in two PG in 2019 seems unwise to me considering our current roster composition.

Sorry, but I looked up the starters last season. I guess you have proof otherwise. Or maybe you watched another NCAA tournament.

Two PGs in the same class are not problematic. We have done it before, and Fran has had his best teams. And if they are both highly rated, who would not want them on the team??

We need perimeter defense. Quick guards are a big part of the solution. Other than Dailey, we have no quick guards defensively. We do not have that on the team next year. Nor the year after...at this point.

Reactions: RocknRollface

I’m still trying to figure out the Michigan “3 guards and a 6’7’’ swingman” starting.

Wagner, Robinson, Mathews, Simpson, and Rahkman were the starters. Poole and Teske only 2 with meaningful minutes off the bench. I see 2 guards out of those 7.

I’m still trying to figure out the Michigan “3 guards and a 6’7’’ swingman” starting.

Wagner, Robinson, Mathews, Simpson, and Rahkman were the starters. Poole and Teske only 2 with meaningful minutes off the bench. I see 2 guards out of those 7.

Robinson was 6th man of the year.

But hes a guard anyway. Thats a 3 or 4 guard lineup depending on silly you want to be about terminology.

Reactions: unoHawkeye
Robinson was 6th man of the year.

But hes a guard anyway. Thats a 3 or 4 guard lineup depending on silly you want to be about terminology.

Okay, but he did start 29 of the 41 games. Robinson is a guard? At 6’8”? I forgot to list Livers (another forward). Still only see 2 guards.

Yes. 4 perimeter players. Semantics are boring.

You may be trying to say the same thing I’ve said pretty much all season. I think the need for another pg is WAY overblown. Everybody on here drools at the thought of Simpson at pg and Bohannon at sg. Can you imagine Jordan defending theses 6’5’’, 6’6’’ guards? This team lacked ANYONE capable of taking the ball from outside the circle and get into the paint. THAT is what Michigan, Villanova, and Loyola had. Duncan Robinson is about the only MI player who really isn’t capable of that. Even Mo Wagner was capable of it. Iowa had zero capable which is part of why they lead the B1G in turnovers. Fran has tried to bring some of these athletic players that I guess he THOUGHT he could develop like Wagner, Hutton, and Williams. Joe W should help this next year and hopefully Moss can improve and become another. Yes, I’d like to see either another guard or athletic SF transfer. But I think Bohannon is a very capable pg with some athletes around him. But really calling players like Mathews, Robinson, Poole guards? They are 6’7’’-6’8’’ 230-240 lbs!

Last edited:
You may be trying to say the same thing I’ve said pretty much all season. I think the need for another pg is WAY overblown. Everybody on here drools at the thought of Simpson at pg and Bohannon at sg. Can you imagine Jordan defending theses 6’5’’, 6’6’’ guards? This team lacked ANYONE capable of taking the ball from outside the circle and get into the paint. THAT is what Michigan, Villanova, and Loyola had. Duncan Robinson is about the only MI player who really isn’t capable of that. Even Mo Wagner was capable of it. Iowa had zero capable which is part of why they lead the B1G in turnovers. Fran has tried to bring some of these athletic players that I guess he THOUGHT he could develop like Wagner, Hutton, and Williams. Joe W should help this next year and hopefully Moss can improve and become another. Yes, I’d like to see either another guard or athletic SF transfer. But I think Bohannon is a very capable pg with some athletes around him.

We agree somewhat. We need more perimeter players and less bigs trying to play out there, like hopefully never again.

Obviously JBO and another short guard isn't ideal. But Simpson is a really good defender so you would put him on the other teams 2. Then you move Moss to the 3 where hes less of a liability too so you improve two spots defensively and overall you're way better off. Move Baer to the 4 and only play 1 big at a time and then you could almost play defense at a normal P5 level.

With Carton its even easier, hes plenty big, strong and athletic enough to guard any perimeter spot.

Reactions: hawkeyeguy69
We agree somewhat. We need more perimeter players and less bigs trying to play out there, like hopefully never again.

Obviously JBO and another short guard isn't ideal. But Simpson is a really good defender so you would put him on the other teams 2. Then you move Moss to the 3 where hes less of a liability too so you improve two spots defensively and overall you're way better off. Move Baer to the 4 and only play 1 big at a time and then you could almost play defense at a normal P5 level.

With Carton its even easier, hes plenty big, strong and athletic enough to guard any perimeter spot.

About the only thing we may disagree on is I still can see Cook at 4 and Garza at 5 playing together. I love Baer but think he should only see the court about 15 mins a game and better off defending 2s and 3s.

About the only thing we may disagree on is I still can see Cook at 4 and Garza at 5 playing together. I love Baer but think he should only see the court about 15 mins a game and better off defending 2s and 3s.

Depends on the situation for Baer.

Against a team like UM id rather have Baer at the 4, against an MSU. Two bigs works better.

Other than being native Iowans or Connor playing with them in AAU ball... Does Iowa really have a shot landing these kids?

Reactions: hawkhorn
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT