ADVERTISEMENT

Tyrese Hunter in transfer portal official

ckettmann

All-Conference
Jan 10, 2005

• Wow
Reactions: BBHawk
That’s honestly devestating for them. Damn.

Five days ago, none of us saw this coming or had any clue.

Most generally believe he liked it here and was close with TJ and this most certainly is devastating.

NIL is what it is right now. He's testing the college free agent waters. Lots of $$$$ out there to be had, and ISU isn't set up like some of the blue bloods and frankly, we don't have that sugar daddy to head up a collective (think Nike at Oregon, Walmart at Arkansas or Fed Ex at Memphis.)

NIL is the death of college sports as we knew it. Sucks but if the NCAA doesn't reform it, college sports are something totally different now. Right out in the open.

Gets play time, had zero coaching changes I'm aware of. Has really no reason to abandon his school.

If kids like this are allowed to leave, schools should be allowed to drop players then...
If I remember correctly, a four year scholarship is not guaranteed in the SEC.

Reactions: nbanflfactory
It's fascinating to me that a guy can be so many schools backup plan and treated as such during the recruiting process and then bolt for those same schools a year later. This is more true with CJF then with Hunter (he had more options than CJF), but still.
That's how we raise em these days. Dumb and with no loyalty lol

Not going to poke fun at ISU for this, because I suspect something like this will happen to the Hawks (at a higher level than CJF)
This kind of reminds me of the CJF transfer just maybe not to that level. CJF left late in April as well which left Iowa high and dry at that point to try to replace him in the portal. For ISU, Tre Jackson already transferred. Had he known, he would have stayed at ISU and been the starting point guard. ISU is now left scrambling.

Gets play time, had zero coaching changes I'm aware of. Has really no reason to abandon his school.

If kids like this are allowed to leave, schools should be allowed to drop players then...
He committed to Prohm but yet around this time a year ago he could've backed out when they hired their new coach. Because I know the other committed guy at the time ended up somewhere else. But this is a huge loss on top of Brockington going pro. You figured he would've been the guy on the team next year. Just hope he doesn't end up at a Big 10 school.

nothing has changed in his school situation other than he wants to go somewhere "better" (ie; who will contend for a title next year).
He made a choice to go to ISU, and he should have to honor that choice seeing as nothing he signed up for has changed, other than his ability to make more money elsewhere.
Just my opinion, but more crap like this contributes to where we are heading in society. No self-responsibility, no consequence, I deserve it all now, don't want to work for it, etc.

nothing has changed in his school situation other than he wants to go somewhere "better" (ie; who will contend for a title next year).
He made a choice to go to ISU, and he should have to honor that choice seeing as nothing he signed up for has changed, other than his ability to make more money elsewhere.
Just my opinion, but more crap like this contributes to where we are heading in society. No self-responsibility, no consequence, I deserve it all now, don't want to work for it, etc.
You have no idea why he is transferring. He might hate life in Ames. He might be homesick. Whatever the reason(s) are, he has the same right as CJ, Joe, Josh, and Jack had to leave ISU.

This has been happening to mid major and low major schools for years and years. We're literally recruiting the WAC player of the year who averaged almost 35 minutes per game--haven't heard any outrage as to him being allowed to transfer up. The NCAA can't and shouldn't govern the power conferences any different than the other 250+ schools. If Hunter goes from Iowa St to a blue blood is that not the same as someone going from say a good mid-major like Loyola to a power conference? Just some food for thought.

This has been happening to mid major and low major schools for years and years. We're literally recruiting the WAC player of the year who averaged almost 35 minutes per game--haven't heard any outrage as to him being allowed to transfer up. The NCAA can't and shouldn't govern the power conferences any different than the other 250+ schools. If Hunter goes from Iowa St to a blue blood is that not the same as someone going from say a good mid-major like Loyola to a power conference? Just some food for thought.
And God knows that ISU has benefitted from transfers in the past. Karma is a bitch, isn't it?

You have no idea why he is transferring. He might hate life in Ames. He might be homesick. Whatever the reason(s) are, he has the same right as CJ, Joe, Josh, and Jack had to leave ISU.
He heard about that new guy at Elon.

• Haha
Reactions: BBHawk
Correct. Coaches basically are coaching glorified AAU teams now. You are basically putting teams together 1 year at a time, and be prepared for players to jump ship if they are aware of a "better opportunity." Like it or not, the rules are the rules now. Bound to happen to Iowa in the very near future. Say a Tony Perkins has a great junior year. Not really NBA material but IU has their NIL program in place (there are launching it soon) and says "hey, come home and finish out your career here. We guarantee you $250k for the year." I mean, it's hard to turn that down.

I'm not saying Iowa needs to be paying all the football and basketball players $500k a year, but if they want to compete in anything revenue related they had best get the NIL collective up and going and very quick.

In Iowa State's situation, it is devastating. Just crushing. No way (well, very unlikely) they are able to get a player of his caliber at this stage.

Reactions: moondog24
Things are so up in the air with major college sports it's impossible to know what's ahead. This transfer by Hunter is a major development in Iowa, but isn't the first of this magnitude across the country. I don't know much about today's college admission standards and NCAA eligibility requirements to participate. I do know that many, many years ago when you transferred from one college to the next that some credits didn't transfer. I can understand how graduate transfers are different than those for non-graduates. I got to believe there is some suspect credits given by admission officers to permit a undergraduate transfer to be immediately eligible. To me a transferring freshman undergraduate should need to have 32 credit hours completed with at least a 2.2 GPA. Do the math to figure it out for sophomores and juniors.

I've gone on record that athletes should be made employees of the college they are attending and given an annual salary and benefits from which they pay their expenses for college. I think it is what the athletes want and NIL is just a way to profit personally. If your making $120K at Iowa and their only paying $80,000 at Kansas State then what is the incentive to transfer to KSU? In turn if Ohio State is paying $200,000 and you are making $120,000 what is the incentive to stay at Iowa if it is hinted by tOSU they want you? In the end NIL is a way to pay players a salary without them being employees. Might as well get it out in the open that you're paying players.

the number of kids that wanted transfer out of school has always been high. Always. Homesick, GF, weather, teammates, coaches, almost anything you can name. The NCAA hogtied them.

He had to live in Ames. That’s reason enough.
Thanks for making laugh! It is tough, you can't really blame the kid. Came from a background where there wasn't a lot of money, so now through NIL he has a chance to make pretty significant money. Don't think he was ready for the NBA but is a really good player and probably will be NBA ready in 1 or 2 years. So he can sign a good NIL deal, not have to sit out, then go to the NBA. It hurts as a fan, but you can't really blame him. Obviously the combo of NIL with almost no real control or oversight and the 1-time transfer and play immediately is going to change college basketball. I am all in favor of the players getting some money but with no real control or caps its going to be hard for schools like ISU and Iowa probably to a lesser extent (I would guess your boosters aren't quite as cheap ass as ours), Then look at places like Arkansas, they are likely an instant power with NIL money or maybe all those 5 stars signed because the water in Fayetteville is even better than in Ames!

This kind of reminds me of the CJF transfer just maybe not to that level. CJF left late in April as well which left Iowa high and dry at that point to try to replace him in the portal. For ISU, Tre Jackson already transferred. Had he known, he would have stayed at ISU and been the starting point guard. ISU is now left scrambling.
There is a major difference. Fran was supposedly a family friend having coached CJ's uncle. He also put himself out there when CJ didn't have any decent offers and gave him every chance to be successful when he was healthy. Then not only CJ, but old Uncle Joe stuck it to Fran, and Lied directly just days before he left. Personally I consider his to be a betrayal of the worst kind.....

He could have had the Hogslat hog confinement building spokesperson money or even Vencomatic Poultry Producer rep NIL $$$ had he stayed in Ames. Maybe he aspires to something greater? Tough loss for ISU. Live by the transfer and die by the transfer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT