ADVERTISEMENT

U if I Athletics for All or Some ???

This board use to be about football but over the years it has denigrated enough to include opinions about most things unrelated directly to football.
Ummmmm, kind of like what you posted then? Which way is it? If you post it, it is ok? Not sure I am understanding your stance....... I am not understanding your stance

Ummmmm, kind of like what you posted then? Which way is it? If you post it, it is ok? Not sure I am understanding your stance....... I am not understanding your stance

This is about football ... its about a sport that has become so bloated and out of proportion that it hardly resembles amateur athletics which is what it should be . It is about wasting money on costly facilities and exorbitant coaches salary’s
It is everything but a what its suppose to be which is a game played by student-athletes.m

I’ve read far to many posts about you got to feed money into the program because this is what supports the other programs and if we don’t do it than we will fall behind

Well you know what, if you cannot justify cutting down let’s say just 5%-10% of the costs that the football team spends to enable you to continue to promote 4 or 5 other sports that spend a mere fraction of what the football team does, that is not only troubling but it is unconscionable.

Do not tell me that the Iowa Athletic Department can not find a way to shave
5% from their expenses to secure the continuation of the 5 sports and over 80 athletes and coaches of those sports .

I can spend an entire day showing you that this can be done but let’s face it, the Iowa Athletic Department has shown its true identity and eventually it will come back to bite them in the butt.

They have made their decision. How many of you can actually say truthfully that the game day experience has not been severely curtailed by all the restrictions that they have made the last 10 years. How many of you can say honestly that there hasn’t been wanton waste of department funds that have gone out to settle lawsuits (gender bias) (racial bias-Doyle) that could of sustained these cut programs indefinitely .
How many of you can justify the enormous salary’s offered up to the coaches of this University for a program that has consistently not produced results which had matched performance.

So do not give me that sad story that we are sorry we had to cut 5 sports and the dreams of 80 athletes because we just couldn’t find the resources to save them.

This is about football ... its about a sport that has become so bloated and out of proportion that it hardly resembles amateur athletics which is what it should be . It is about wasting money on costly facilities and exorbitant coaches salary’s
It is everything but a what its suppose to be which is a game played by student-athletes.m

I’ve read far to many posts about you got to feed money into the program because this is what supports the other programs and if we don’t do it than we will fall behind

Well you know what, if you cannot justify cutting down let’s say just 5%-10% of the costs that the football team spends to enable you to continue to promote 4 or 5 other sports that spend a mere fraction of what the football team does, that is not only troubling but it is unconscionable.

5% from their expenses to secure the continuation of the 5 sports and over 80 athletes and coaches of those sports .

I can spend an entire day showing you that this can be done but let’s face it, the Iowa Athletic Department has shown its true identity and eventually it will come back to bite them in the butt.

They have made their decision. How many of you can actually say truthfully that the game day experience has not been severely curtailed by all the restrictions that they have made the last 10 years. How many of you can say honestly that there hasn’t been wanton waste of department funds that have gone out to settle lawsuits (gender bias) (racial bias-Doyle) that could of sustained these cut programs indefinitely .
How many of you can justify the enormous salary’s offered up to the coaches of this University for a program that has consistently not produced results which had matched performance.

So do not give me that sad story that we are sorry we had to cut 5 sports and the dreams of 80 athletes because we just couldn’t find the resources to save them.

Reactions: hawkedoff
That’s not the point, the point is that Kirk Ferentz along with college football in general have reached a point where their bloated salary’s and the athletic departments race to spend millions of dollars on facilities have made a dramatic and often fatal effects on amateur sports overall at the college level . The end result is not sustainable and the consequences will be that years from now you may only have a half dozen sports at a college. That is not an Athletic Program, it is not what amateur athletics and the NCAA mission statements are designed to do . You are eliminating opportunities for thousands of athletes just for the benefit of 85 football players .
So what, why should any money go to those sports that have 10-15 kids on them playing a sport that no one will pay to watch. If anything, those kids should be paying to play. The University, the Alumni owe them nothing. Why are scholarships going to a Women's Field Hockey team with out of state players in a sport that few if any give a shit about, what a complete waste of money.

Well, the difference here is football can be a profession after college. In more ways than just playing. You got training, managing equipment, coaching, athletic director, sportscaster, radio personnel, website manager, public relations, facility manager, and playing professionally. The other sports do not have the professional capacity that football does.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT