ADVERTISEMENT

U if I Athletics for All or Some ???

Peckerboy

Team MVP
Aug 28, 2016
So the University if Iowa has decided that they are going to play football. Are we expected to get excited about the fact that the season will be basically meaningless. I mean after all there is no guarantee that they are going to even play 8 games and even in doing so how many limited participants will we have as the season progresses. It appears that this will be a week to week list of who can play and what team gets lucky enough to field their best players Under this scenario no one can really say that because of these factors we can really determine a true winner.

What pisses me off is that despite all the feel good statements it’s really about trying limit the financial impact that not having a football season would create . In between this stop and start scenario The University of Iowa Athletic Department dropped 5 sports programs and subsequently ended the dreams of roughly the same amount (85)of student-athletes and instead made the choice to have 85 players play football.
Yes I know they were non revenue sports and despite what I hear many of you saying theses were not sports that that the athletic departments were going to cut anyway. There are athletic departments across the country that are not cutting out other programs, yes Minnesota is one but it isn’t happening at almost any other school.

What makes it worse is that even now after getting some of that revenue back there is no consideration at all to reverse course and do the right thing . Non-Revenue sports do not need to be cut,
They are an integral part in a healthy athletic program, there are literally thousands of non-revenue sports across the land that continue to and will continue to exist because essentially they are part of an overall athletic program and yes I understand that football revenue is the reason they exist and everyone should be ok with that .

The problem is not the fact that these non-revenue sports exists because of football, the question is could other things be done. It’s not a lot of money here, roughly 3.2 million dollar savings could sustain 5 sports and 85 athletes . I won’t go into how much of that could be saved by eliminating the bloated salary’s of the football staff or the ridiculous ramp up of building facilities I could go on and on but essentially you all know that this escalation of funds for football and basketball are not sustainable and not even practical . There was no consideration of even trying to save these sports by creative funding measures such as cutting travel costs across the board, fundraising, staff elimination in these sports ... no Iowa Athletics just with one mighty swipe of the pen took the easy way out. My gosh we even spent what 6 million dollars on a lawsuit payout to a former associate but we couldn’t come up with sone money to keep 5 sports ?
At what point do you say enough is enough? At what point do we say this is ridiculous that Kirk Ferentz makes more money than these 5 sports spend in a year( Kirk... hint... why don’t you step up and take a 50% pay cut to fund these sports for another year until some more funding can be found)

Really, you don't have anything better to do tonight? Your rant lost me after the first paragraph, but I'll let you in on a little secret, 'There are no guarantee's in life". Ok, that's not a secret, it's a well know saying, but since I only got a paragraph into your rant, that's the best I got. BTW, whether Iowa plays eight games or two games, most of us (Players included) are happy for the opportunity. I will do my part and promise not to attend any games. Are fans permitted? LOL But I will be sitting on my couch for all the games they do get in.

College athletics is no longer about the value of being a student athlete. It’s just about being a minor league for the NFL.

If you can find anything in a potential student-athletes LOI that guarantees them or even suggest to them that the NCAA or college athletics is a minor league or in anyway a paid profession you key me know .
I am pretty sure it outlines that the athlete will receive room, board and educational costs and medical and covered costs in exchange for their participation in a sport .

They signed the agreement and they receive the benefits contained in the agreements and no such other promises were made to them . Read it sometime .

Here is the great thing. In this country, you have the right and freedom to make whatever decisions you want. So boycott away. And, while you do that, tell me why it is ok to take away those same rights and freedoms from someone else.

No ones taking away any rights from these football players, they are student athletes and are guaranteed nothing beyond room, board and certain expenses . No one is guaranteed playing time or for that matter the right to even play. They signed the contract so they knew what they were getting into

So the University if Iowa has decided that they are going to play football. Are we expected to get excited about the fact that the season will be basically meaningless. I mean after all there is no guarantee that they are going to even play 8 games and even in doing so how many limited participants will we have as the season progresses. It appears that this will be a week to week list of who can play and what team gets lucky enough to field their best players Under this scenario no one can really say that because of these factors we can really determine a true winner.

What pisses me off is that despite all the feel good statements it’s really about trying limit the financial impact that not having a football season would create . In between this stop and start scenario The University of Iowa Athletic Department dropped 5 sports programs and subsequently ended the dreams of roughly the same amount (85)of student-athletes and instead made the choice to have 85 players play football.
Yes I know they were non revenue sports and despite what I hear many of you saying theses were not sports that that the athletic departments were going to cut anyway. There are athletic departments across the country that are not cutting out other programs, yes Minnesota is one but it isn’t happening at almost any other school.

What makes it worse is that even now after getting some of that revenue back there is no consideration at all to reverse course and do the right thing . Non-Revenue sports do not need to be cut,
They are an integral part in a healthy athletic program, there are literally thousands of non-revenue sports across the land that continue to and will continue to exist because essentially they are part of an overall athletic program and yes I understand that football revenue is the reason they exist and everyone should be ok with that .

The problem is not the fact that these non-revenue sports exists because of football, the question is could other things be done. It’s not a lot of money here, roughly 3.2 million dollar savings could sustain 5 sports and 85 athletes . I won’t go into how much of that could be saved by eliminating the bloated salary’s of the football staff or the ridiculous ramp up of building facilities I could go on and on but essentially you all know that this escalation of funds for football and basketball are not sustainable and not even practical . There was no consideration of even trying to save these sports by creative funding measures such as cutting travel costs across the board, fundraising, staff elimination in these sports ... no Iowa Athletics just with one mighty swipe of the pen took the easy way out. My gosh we even spent what 6 million dollars on a lawsuit payout to a former associate but we couldn’t come up with sone money to keep 5 sports ?
At what point do you say enough is enough? At what point do we say this is ridiculous that Kirk Ferentz makes more money than these 5 sports spend in a year( Kirk... hint... why don’t you step up and take a 50% pay cut to fund these sports for another year until some more funding can be found)
Hey guess what...........not wearing a mask here where I live didn't stop college football from coming back, nor will it be responsible for it getting shut down, because it 100% guaranteed will not get shut down.

I win. Deal with it. :)

Reactions: pmtdc
How much does Kirk bring in via his product...jesus, get a clue. Go to rutgers and be an everybody gets a ribbon fan.

That’s not the point, the point is that Kirk Ferentz along with college football in general have reached a point where their bloated salary’s and the athletic departments race to spend millions of dollars on facilities have made a dramatic and often fatal effects on amateur sports overall at the college level . The end result is not sustainable and the consequences will be that years from now you may only have a half dozen sports at a college. That is not an Athletic Program, it is not what amateur athletics and the NCAA mission statements are designed to do . You are eliminating opportunities for thousands of athletes just for the benefit of 85 football players .

Reactions: hawkedoff
That’s not the point, the point is that Kirk Ferentz along with college football in general have reached a point where their bloated salary’s and the athletic departments race to spend millions of dollars on facilities have made a dramatic and often fatal effects on amateur sports overall at the college level . The end result is not sustainable and the consequences will be that years from now you may only have a half dozen sports at a college. That is not an Athletic Program, it is not what amateur athletics and the NCAA mission statements are designed to do . You are eliminating opportunities for thousands of athletes just for the benefit of 85 football players .
The football program is entirely self-sufficient. In fact, they're often propping up non-revenue sports.

It's amazing how you can spout such bullshit so righteously without doing any research at all.

Hey guess what...........not wearing a mask here where I live didn't stop college football from coming back, nor will it be responsible for it getting shut down, because it 100% guaranteed will not get shut down.

I win. Deal with it. :)

It already is ... games are already being forfeited, a head coaches and staffing already having to sit out games, and players sitting out for games . No tailgating for fans and limited or no fans in stadiums, that’s not a football season . These games look more like scrimmages and they have no real meaning despite what you might think they do.

It is not Kirk's responsibility to care about these other sports or even consider taking a pay cut for them.

I recommend you stop allowing yourself to be so incredibly irritated with what you cannot control. Your lengthy rant is at a whole new level.

U if I who

That’s as far as you got reading my post:
I guess as soon as you find a typo you just
decide to quit reading . That’s a great way to educate yourself I hope that your professor or boss or whoever you have to read documents from do not make a typo because you may never get to read anything again geezzzzz sone people

Last edited:
It is not Kirk's responsibility to care about these other sports or even consider taking a pay cut for them.

I recommend you stop allowing yourself to be so incredibly irritated with what you cannot control. Your lengthy rant is at a whole new level.

No it’s not required of Kirk to do anything with his money or even care about these coaches or athletes .He can just move about his life and enjoy his millions and sleep well at night. The same goes for every CEO who makes millions of dollars and then when their company loses 10% in annual revenue they reduce their workforce by 3,000 workers to save money, they don’t have to cut their own salary’s or get creative and find ways to control costs,they just slash the payroll and put 3,000 people out of work and their family’s suffer and communities suffer.

• Haha
Reactions: Herkyhawk247
That’s as far as you got reading my post:
No it’s not required of Kirk to do anything with his money or even care about these coaches or athletes .He can just move about his life and enjoy his millions and sleep well at night. The same goes for every CEO who makes millions of dollars and then when their company loses 10% in annual revenue they reduce their workforce by 3,000 workers to save money, they don’t have to cut their own salary’s or get creative and find ways to control costs,they just slash the payroll and put 3,000 people out of work and their family’s suffer and communities suffer.
Lol you have absolutely zero understanding of how athletics are funded or managed.

It already is (Lol nah, the games are being canceled/postponed because of unnecessarily strict rules regarding positive tests......and because college athletes don't like being responsible outside of their sport's bubble.......because if they all did, they wouldn't be getting covid now would they........all of you sit down on that one. I win and am not taking any further rebuttals. Sit the f*** down.) ... games are already being forfeited (They were gonna lose anyway), a head coaches and staffing already having to sit out games (Personal responsibility....), and players sitting out for games (Personal responsibility....). No tailgating for fans (That’s your fault, not mine.....) nd limited or no fans in stadiums (Liability and trust issues......not because I wear a mask or not in north central Iowa.), that’s not a football season (Sure it it....Too late to go back now.) . These games look more like scrimmages (Nah, they look more like games......that count towards wins and losses......and ties if you're the NFL.) and they have no real meaning (I'm sorry you hate football. Football > your favorite sport) despite what you might think they do. (I'm not paid to think, though......I'm paid to know. :cool: )
Good luck not responding to all of that. I guarantee you'll avoid most, if not all, of my responses. Too easy to know how you'll reply. 😁

Reactions: JerseyCityHawki
lmfao simple and straightforward love it

Great another educated reader, so glad to see another mature response but I must say you did write a complete sentence unlike the first reader who could only come up with two words

I think F... off night mean”Fantastic Opinion” so I guess if that is true I must apologize and say thank you 😊

Last edited:
Lol you have absolutely zero understanding of how athletics are funded or managed.

And you kind Sir should never assume anything.It might not occur to you that I have over a quarter century of experience in funding and managing athletics and a broad understanding of college athletics in general.

At the end of the day I spend upwards of 3-4000 thousand to watch my hawkeyes play football I have spent a grand total of zero on the sports that have been cut.. I agree they should have the right to stay but as it is, they can not be supported right now.. And I’m willing to bet Kirk has or is willing to take a pay cut for this year.. heck the guy did donate a million dollars to the hospital.. name one fbs head coach that has donated that much in one lump sum

Reactions: pmtdc
They aren't students. Many are functionally illiterate and can barely speak using coherent sentences. They're here to take a crack at the next level and using this for their audition reel.

At the end of the day I spend upwards of 3-4000 thousand to watch my hawkeyes play football I have spent a grand total of zero on the sports that have been cut.. I agree they should have the right to stay but as it is, they can not be supported right now.. And I’m willing to bet Kirk has or is willing to take a pay cut for this year.. heck the guy did donate a million dollars to the hospital.. name one fbs head coach that has donated that much in one lump sum

You have a point but keep in mind that when you spend that money it doesn’t go just to Iowa Football which is a good thing because you are supporting the entire athletic department unless you have some
specific agreement that I am not aware of such as a targeted endowment .

The fact is they can be supported now and should . The numbers show that even if you put a hold on those bonuses the assistant coaches received from last year you could sustain these sports for at least another year . Ok so that’s not going to happen, but no effort was even made to try to fundraise or reach out to private funding sources. In fact the statement was made that they were not going to do that because they felt that donors were already tapped out and they didn’t want to risk alienating them.
That is callous and the lack of effort shows a complete disregard for these student-athletes and their coaches. These sports are never coming back. I applaud those at the U of M who have marched on campus to protests the AD’s decision to cut their sports and are currently appealing to the Board of Regents to not sign off on the AD’s proposal .

Whoever hired you should be fired then because they chose an idiot lol

Actually I was Bull S......... you but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night ..lol
The point is still the same. Good administration means that cutting away sports doesn’t have to happen if you can create opportunities.. and this was t even considered .

Last edited:
They aren't students. Many are functionally illiterate and can barely speak using coherent sentences. They're here to take a crack at the next level and using this for their audition reel.

I assume you are talking about the football players, because in my experience and from what I have researched the GPA’s and graduation rates of these other sports that were cut were much higher than those of the football team .

Reactions: littlez
I assume you are talking about the football players, because in my experience and from what I have researched the GPA’s and graduation rates of these other sports that were cut were much higher than those of the football team .
Yes revenue sports, men's basketball and football.

I’m actually more concerned that Jamie Vanderbeken is allergic to pheasant meat.

Is he? And why? After glossing over this thread this is the only thing that caught my attention. So now I must know.

If anything this pandemic has made me realize we need less non revenue sports so these football athletes can be fairly compensated. I’d be fine with wrestling going next.

The football program is entirely self-sufficient. In fact, they're often propping up non-revenue sports.

It's amazing how you can spout such bullshit so righteously without doing any research at all.
propping up non revenue sports? They pay the whole bill for them. Without the football money these sports would be playing teams within a couple hour bus ride of them and would have to stay in a small budget. Or they would be just a club team sport. Football pays the bills so you need to hope they play and do well.

ADVERTISEMENT