ADVERTISEMENT

U.S. Open Preview

The-Dude-Abides

HR All-State
Jan 1, 2023
All the recent portal madness has been getting most of the attention, but this U.S. Open is looking to one of the best fields I can recall. Super pumped for this tournament. Eight current Hawks or HWC members (Spencer, DeSanto, Schriever, Lugo, Young, Marinelli, Nelson, and Kueter) are registered, plus former Hawks Kemerer and Danimal.

I think I'm most excited to see how Spencer, DeSanto, and Kueter perform. Also curious to see how Nelson looks in freestyle after he looked better and healthier at NCAAs.

Of note, J'Den Cox declined his Final X berth at 92kg to challenge for the 97 kg spot. I believe he was the only one to on the men's side, along with Tamyra on the women's side. So 92kg will be contested at the World Team Trials along with 61kg and 125kg. J'Den, please win the spot and a world title and then join the HWC pronto.

Glory entered the Open at 57kg, but he also qualifies for the Trials spot at 61kg as an NCAA champ. Will be interesting to see if he takes the chance at 61kg if he doesn't win the Open at 57kg.

Lot of stacked weight classes with the potential for some great matchups.

Some good links:
Flo's updated list of current entries:
https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/10777404-2023-us-open-wrestling-championship-entries-senior

Overview of the qualifying process and those eligible for the Trials: https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Features/2023/April/21/Updated-WTT-qualifiers-as-of-April-21

Good preview of each weight at the Open with last year's finishes:

This is going to be an awesome tournament.

Do we know why Chittum didn’t give it a shot? He seems like a kid looking for challenging tournaments.

It amazes me that guys like Magaludis are still training. I wonder how long they will continue competing without reaching a goal. How do they stay motivated?
Of course, I thought that about Seth Gross and then he goes and makes a world team, so I guess they are willing to chase the dream until they no longer have the passion or hope to keep improving.

This is going to be an awesome tournament.

Do we know why Chittum didn’t give it a shot? He seems like a kid looking for challenging tournaments.

The U20 70kg bracket will have some really good competition for Chittum.

Shapiro, P. Johnson, Cardenas, Arrington to name a few.

Reactions: Grip220
It amazes me that guys like Magaludis are still training. I wonder how long they will continue competing without reaching a goal. How do they stay motivated?
Of course, I thought that about Seth Gross and then he goes and makes a world team, so I guess they are willing to chase the dream until they no longer have the passion or hope to keep improving.
Some people like/love training, competing, wrestling, chasing the goal, living the life. Keep doing it as long as the body & mind hold up.

Enjoy what you can while you can.

Megaludis (sp) won the Senior US Open last year I believe.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT