ADVERTISEMENT

U.S. says it can’t seek death penalty against accused Lockerbie bomber

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Prosecutors said in federal court Monday that the law does not allow them to seek the death penalty for the former Libyan intelligence officer charged with building the bomb that destroyed a passenger plane flying over Lockerbie, Scotland, in 1988, killing 270 people, including 190 Americans.

Are you on Telegram? Subscribe to our channel for the latest updates on Russia’s war in Ukraine.

Abu Agela Mas’ud Kheir al-Marimi, 71, made his first appearance in U.S. District Court in Washington on Monday afternoon, a day after U.S. authorities announced that they had extradited him. He would be the first person prosecuted in the United States in connection with the attack 34 years ago.

The Justice Department years ago charged two other men in connection with the killings, but Libyan officials never agreed to allow them to appear in an American courtroom. Instead, they were prosecuted by a Scottish court. Officials so far have declined to say what agreement they struck with Libya to bring Mas’ud to the United States.

Mas’ud faces two different criminal charges, including destruction of an aircraft resulting in death. He could be sentenced to life in prison. Prosecutors told Magistrate Judge Robin M. Meriweather that while the charges Mas’ud faces now are punishable by death, they were not eligible for the death penalty in 1988.
The Lockerbie bombing launched a global probe. Here’s what to know.
Mas’ud, who was born in Tunisia and also holds Libyan citizenship, appeared with a public defender, limping into the courtroom wearing a green jail jumpsuit. Relatives of victims killed in the bombing were present.
Speaking in Arabic through a translator, he told the judge that he had the flu and was taking medication, and that he wanted to obtain his own lawyer but had not yet done so. “I cannot talk before I have my attorney,” Mas’ud said.

Meriweather agreed to delay the detention hearing until Dec. 27.

Until Sept. 11, 2001, the bombing of the Boeing 747 was the largest terrorist attack against U.S. civilians in history. It led to sanctions against Libya and helped shape the FBI’s handling of international investigations.
In 1991, Libyan intelligence operative Abdel Basset Ali al-Megrahi and his alleged accomplice Lamen Khalifa Fhimah were charged in the Lockerbie bombing. Libya initially refused to send them to the United States or Britain for trial, instead handing them over in 1999 for trial by a Scottish court on a former U.S. military base in the Netherlands.
Fhimah was acquitted, while Megrahi was convicted and sentenced to life in prison. Megrahi died in 2012, about three years after being released from prison with a cancer diagnosis.

Mas’ud was charged years later, after the FBI obtained a copy of a 2012 interview of him by a Libyan law enforcement officer.

According to the U.S. affidavit filed in support of the criminal case, Mas’ud admitted making the bomb that took down the plane and assisting Megrahi and Fhimah in executing the plot.
Mas’ud has been in Libyan custody in an unrelated case.
State Department spokesman Ned Price declined to give details Monday of what led to his transfer to the United States. “It is safe to say that this happened in consultation with appropriate Libyan authorities and the United States is in regular contact and discussion with our Libyan counterparts, but I would need to leave it at that,” Price told reporters at a briefing.

Why? How is it more humane to lock someone in a box forever than to just euthanize them?

Some crimes certainly warrant it.

I’ve never liked the hypocrisy of capital punishment. You broke the ultimate law when you killed. Therefore, we will also break the ultimate law and kill you.

Why? How is it more humane to lock someone in a box forever than to just euthanize them?

Some crimes certainly warrant it.
The first paragraph is your opinion. That’s fine. Burn it’s your opinion. The problem with the second part is that it is very difficult to identify those crimes and then to ensure that we have identified the person who committed those crimes.

There are all kinds of problems with the justice system. Prosecutors and police who push the envelope to obtain a conviction. Who overcharge and pressure witnesses to take a plea and convict defendants.

Then there’s the fact that indigent defendants don’t have the resources to properly defend themselves. Again, too many problems to implement an extraordinary punishment. Really doesn’t matter what the crime

Reactions: cigaretteman
For those who argue for the death penalty, I like to ask, “why should we kill someone”?

Their deterrence, but multiple studies have shown that it doesn’t have any effect on the homicide rate. The top seven states per capita for murders in the country actively execute prisoners. I think 8 of the top 10 have the death penalty.

The next reason is punishment. The whole eye for an eye thing. That’s valid. Someone in this thread brought up the point that life in a box is less humane than execution. Maybe. I would argue that life in prison is more beneficial to society than execution. It’s cheaper. More importantly, that person can have some benefit to society if allowed to have that benefit. Talking to their kids and other kids about the mistakes they made. Serving as an example of what happens if you screw your life up.

If that person is executed it makes an example of them, but the memory of that example becomes faceless and irrelevant after a period of time.

The most significant problem with the death penalty is innocence. I know many would say convict to a higher standard and execute those. But what is that higher standard. There is false eyewitness testimony. There is manufactured testimony by the police. There is coerced confessions.

Finally there is the fact that it’s difficult to give someone a fair trial in some circumstances. If you were sitting on this guys jury could you really give him the presumption of innocence?

Reactions: cigaretteman
There needs to be more. I’d sign up to flip the switch put the needle in whatever it takes. Those people do not deserve to live.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT