ADVERTISEMENT

U.S. soldier detained in Russia on criminal charges

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Russian authorities have detained an American soldier on criminal misconduct charges, the U.S. Army said Monday.
Army spokeswoman Cynthia Smith said Russia’s government had notified the State Department that the soldier, whose identity was not disclosed, was taken into custody May 2 in Vladivostok, near the country’s borders with China and North Korea.

Sign up for Fact Checker, our weekly review of what's true, false or in-between in politics.

“The Army notified his family and the U.S. Department of State is providing appropriate consular support to the soldier in Russia,” Smith said in a statement.
The circumstances of the soldier’s presence in Vladivostok or the nature of the criminal charges were not immediately clear. The detention was first reported by NBC News.

A State Department spokesperson affirmed that an American citizen had been detained by Russian authorities and indicated that U.S. consular officials there would “seek to aid him or her with all appropriate assistance.”

The detention is likely to test already strained relations between Moscow and Washington, which has accused the government of President Vladimir Putin of unjustly imprisoning Americans to extract concessions from Washington.

The Biden administration says that Evan Gershkovich, a journalist for the Wall Street Journal, and Paul Whelan, a former Marine, are both wrongfully detained by Russia. The United States has released several Russians imprisoned in the United States in recent years for Americans imprisoned in Russia.
Michael Birnbaum contributed to this report.
This is a developing story. It will be updated.

Reactions: h-hawk
Probably on the prowl for Russian widows.
That's what I'd do.

5MmsXISwl84G.gif

He was charged with theft and beating a woman up. He's a nut and deserves whatever Ivan throws at him in court.
That "try that in a small town" lyric you tack on to every post ... what a sensational song.

Just kidding, it's not.

And I'll try whatever I want whenever I want in any small town I choose.

Just kidding, I won't. But it's not a good song. No sir, not at all.

That "try that in a small town" lyric you tack on to every post ... what a sensational song.

Just kidding, it's not.

Better than his other signature, which was, I have no functional penis.

Reactions: efg2008

Just kidding, it's not.

It's much more than a song or a song lyric, it's a stern warning to the left.

• Haha
Reactions: TC Nole OX
He was charged with theft and beating a woman up. He's a nut and deserves whatever Ivan throws at him in court.

Are we sure these arn't charges trumped up by the Russians because he was an American?

He may have done all of those things but I don't exactly trust Russian officials and Russian courts.

Putin is a brutal dictator and a psychopathic murderer. The laws don’t apply to him so we must assume this soldier is already dead.

RIP 😢

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT