ADVERTISEMENT

U20/U23 WTT Highlight Reels And Match Videos

PinDoxRico

HR All-State
Jan 1, 2020
Mepo
thepindoctors.com
I’m gonna put some of those reels together again… just finished the first one of 74 kg U23 champ Patrick Kennedy! Let me know what you think… will follow up quick with some YouTube videos of the event that I can find!

Copying and pasting this excerpt about Kennedy that I wrote on the pin doctors Facebook page a bit ago! I post stuff about Hawkeye wrestlers, past and present all the time and if you want, by all means feel free to “follow” the pin doctors on Facebook. That’s where I post 90% of my babbling and what not.

2022 U23 World Team Trials 74 Kg Championship Reel; Patrick Kennedy of Hawkeye Wrestling Club

I'm gonna put as many of these together that I can find time for. I don't know who or when the next ones will be posted, but this first one is on Iowa Hawkeyes blue-chipper, Patrick Kennedy. Patrick has been at Iowa two full seasons and so far he hasn't been able to compete in the lineup, for he had the free covid year last year and redshirted this past season. He was a 4X State Champion in Minnesota for Kasson-Mantorville HS, which is a powerhouse wrestling squad led by 2X Iowa HS State Champion from Humboldt and Hawkeye AA, Jamie Heidt. That school also produced the likes of stud 285 lber, Sam Stoll! Kennedy won a Super 32 Title in HS, a Fargo National Title and was part of two state championship teams in HS.

And he continues to rack up the accolades, for this past weekend, he won the U23 World Team Trial Tournament at 74kg. His bracket had close to 100 guys in it... Pretty crazy! Congrats Patrick!

This is Round Of 64 Brennan Swafford vs. Edmond Ruth of Penn (yes Ed Ruth’s brother). Ruth was a 2X State champ in PA and a blue-chipper recruit coming out of HS and went to Lehigh, but got in trouble and kicked off the team as a result and he has since straightened up his life and I think he’s now in the process of enrolling at Illinois where his bro is coaching.

This match is where Brennan threw the headlock that some of you enjoyed.

here is one of the matches that has been discussed a bit on here with Brennan (Swaff) in the semifinals vs 2 or 3X NCAA Qualifier (I think he wrestled Kemerer in the blood round this past year), Mickey O’ Malley of Drexel (also a NJ state champ and Fargo champ in HS).

Ok hear me out on this one. We lost this match 5-2 and what’s bizarre is that with a different official, we literally could have won this one 8-2 at the minimum.

At the :40 mark, O’Malley scored 2 points for an exposure that if you watch it closely, you’ll see it wasn’t there. M* almost threw the brick on that.

At the 6:20 mark, this guy tried to throw and Brennan was waiting for it and put him right to his back and it was stopped and the official called it a “slip.” It’s one of the more stupid calls I witnessed of the entire tournament. We could have been awarded 2-4 there, but instead, O’Malley was awarded 1 point for Brennan losing the challenge (and damn right M* made the right decision there)…. Unbelievable…

At the 8:10 mark, we had a leg lace locked up and the referee stopped it for potentially dangerous… a leg lace In freestyle called potentially dangerous…. Strange.

Pardon me for flexing my bowling balls a bit, but Brennan Swafford should have been a finalist at the minimum at the U23 tourney last weekend. Unless I am missing out on a ton of Freestyle rules that I am unaware of, I think we should have won this…

Can someone explain to me why these calls were made the way they were? Because I don’t get it and am not a certified ref, so I’ll consider the possibility that maybe I’m wrong?

This one is vs. 2 or 3 time NCAA Qualifier out of Illinois, Danny Braunagel… huge match for Brennan, for Brennan, my bro Shea and some other Mediapolis kids go WAY back with the Braunagel bros, most notably Jarrid, Danny and Zach.

Reactions: Aleric1
Couple wins from Drew Bennett… Iowa won the U23 team title with 6 guys…5 of them placed, with Cassioppi and PK winning it and Assad, Brennan and Siebrecht placing 3-3-4…

The odd man out who didn’t place was Bennett, BUT you can’t harsh on him too bad about that… he got hurt. And before he did, he won 2 nice matches that surely helped HWC in the team race:

Reactions: Aleric1
here is one of the matches that has been discussed a bit on here with Brennan (Swaff) in the semifinals vs 2 or 3X NCAA Qualifier (I think he wrestled Kemerer in the blood round this past year), Mickey O’ Malley of Drexel (also a NJ state champ and Fargo champ in HS).

Ok hear me out on this one. We lost this match 5-2 and what’s bizarre is that with a different official, we literally could have won this one 8-2 at the minimum.

At the :40 mark, O’Malley scored 2 points for an exposure that if you watch it closely, you’ll see it wasn’t there. M* almost threw the brick on that.

At the 6:20 mark, this guy tried to throw and Brennan was waiting for it and put him right to his back and it was stopped and the official called it a “slip.” It’s one of the more stupid calls I witnessed of the entire tournament. We could have been awarded 2-4 there, but instead, O’Malley was awarded 1 point for Brennan losing the challenge (and damn right M* made the right decision there)…. Unbelievable…

At the 8:10 mark, we had a leg lace locked up and the referee stopped it for potentially dangerous… a leg lace In freestyle called potentially dangerous…. Strange.

Pardon me for flexing my bowling balls a bit, but Brennan Swafford should have been a finalist at the minimum at the U23 tourney last weekend. Unless I am missing out on a ton of Freestyle rules that I am unaware of, I think we should have won this…

Can someone explain to me why these calls were made the way they were? Because I don’t get it and am not a certified ref, so I’ll consider the possibility that maybe I’m wrong?
I watched that live and the vid and I do not believe your brother was out wrestled, just out freestyled. O’Malley knows how to take advantage of the rules. I don’t think the official gave the original two points for exposure. I think the official called correct throw which is also 2. It doesn’t have to be pretty to get a correct throw call. The slip call always rewards the aggressor. I can’t remember the last time I saw a good counter that still wasn’t called a slip. I would’ve challenged it as well but it’s a longshot at best based on the way freestyle rules are written. Camera angle’s not great on the lace. Official was signaling the position of O’Malley’s knee.

I watched that live and the vid and I do not believe your brother was out wrestled, just out freestyled. O’Malley knows how to take advantage of the rules. I don’t think the official gave the original two points for exposure. I think the official called correct throw which is also 2. It doesn’t have to be pretty to get a correct throw call. The slip call always rewards the aggressor. I can’t remember the last time I saw a good counter that still wasn’t called a slip. I would’ve challenged it as well but it’s a longshot at best based on the way freestyle rules are written. Camera angle’s not great on the lace. Official was signaling the position of O’Malley’s knee.
This is a really interesting take for sure… I did notice after it happened, O’Malley looked right up at the ref and kinda seemed like he was expecting the call.

Good post.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT