ADVERTISEMENT

U23 Day 2 results/discussion

Siebrecht. Rathjen. Reyna. Chittum. Robles .

Not sure where Reyna and Robles were this weekend, but the others were making their cases.
If Chittum ever flipped to iowa he would be the favorite, but after the last season and from what we just saw it probably goes seibrecht- rathjen - reyna- robles

Reactions: TarpHawk
IIRC, McD having to wrestle off for U23’s after placing top3 at Seniors. Believe he beat Garrett best 2 of 3 down in Phx. They must have changed the rule.

Reactions: UndercoverHawk
Just got through the Siebrecht matches. Kid is not scared to let it fly, has good body awareness/athletic. Let guys get to his rt leg easy. Still, impressed with his aggression. In folk though, a guy gets a 4 point lead, he can run and hide. It's why I like freestyle better. He cleans some stuff up, there might just be something there.

IIRC, McD having to wrestle off for U23’s after placing top3 at Seniors. Believe he beat Garrett best 2 of 3 down in Phx. They must have changed the rule.
They did change the rule and I think before it was called “University” age group. Adam Hall graduated Boise State in like 2011 and was on the 2016 U.S. University team. Think he beat Sorensen for the spot.

It’s Cobe or Caleb. It’ll be very interesting.
then it's a hole. maybe some upside with rathjen.

i know siebrecht is fun to watch, but we went through this at the beginning of the year. competition matters. he didn't beat anybody of note and got teched by two northwestern guys. one has a career 3-5 record. the other would maybe be a fringe ncaa qualifier if he was the starter. maybe.

psu guys are doing the same over on bwi with facundo. teched a bunch of back ups and non-ncaa qualifiers and now they think he's fixed from his disappointing redshirt campaign. at these offseason tournaments, not every bracket is created equal. it matters a lot who shows up when evaluating for the future.

i hope they prove me wrong though and in a year the hawks won't be in contention, watching the youngsters try to figure things out could be entertaining.

very excited for pat kennedy. i think that's what we expected for the last 2 years. brutal weight, but i think he can be right there in that second tier next year.

then it's a hole. maybe some upside with rathjen.

i know siebrecht is fun to watch, but we went through this at the beginning of the year. competition matters. he didn't beat anybody of note and got teched by two northwestern guys. one has a career 3-5 record. the other would maybe be a fringe ncaa qualifier if he was the starter. maybe.

psu guys are doing the same over on bwi with facundo. teched a bunch of back ups and non-ncaa qualifiers and now they think he's fixed from his disappointing redshirt campaign. at these offseason tournaments, not every bracket is created equal. it matters a lot who shows up when evaluating for the future.

i hope they prove me wrong though and in a year the hawks won't be in contention, watching the youngsters try to figure things out could be entertaining.

very excited for pat kennedy. i think that's what we expected for the last 2 years. brutal weight, but i think he can be right there in that second tier next year.
I think most here are well aware of the issue and agree with you.

Per Wrestlestat, Reyna is #34, Rathjen is #45, and Siebrecht is #123--and that's all at 149. Siebrecht and Rathjen both had good tourneys this weekend at 154 lbs, but it's a long road to AA @ 157. They are not guys you "hold a spot" for in the lineup @ 157.

Chittum is as good as any of them and isn't even in college yet. I think we all still want to see him at 157, even if he redshirts this year.

I think Rathjen beats both Reyna and Siebrecht at 149 and takes that spot next year. But a lot of time between now and then.

I do love what I saw from Siebrecht this weekend. Super kudos to him--kid wants it.

Just watched Swafford. Tough tourney, tough kid, excellent gas tank. In the last minute of the third place match, you could hear M* imploring him to trust his stuff and get to legs. If he keeps after it, he'll make a legit push at 174. His only loss was to O'Malley who is also the guy who gives Kennedy fits in freestyle. You could see the difference in size there because Swafford could physically hang with O'Malley. P.S., that wasn't a slip as Swafford stopped O'Malley's motion coming down plus O'Malley was still locked up all the way down. Brennan seemed to be waiting for it. Bad call.

Just watched Swafford. Tough tourney, tough kid, excellent gas tank. In the last minute of the third place match, you could hear M* imploring him to trust his stuff and get to legs. If he keeps after it, he'll make a legit push at 174. His only loss was to O'Malley who is also the guy who gives Kennedy fits in freestyle. You could see the difference in size there because Swafford could physically hang with O'Malley. P.S., that wasn't a slip as Swafford stopped O'Malley's motion coming down plus O'Malley was still locked up all the way down. Brennan seemed to be waiting for it. Bad call.
I thought his defense looked much improved. I’m sure in that room you have to figure out a way to keep guys off your legs quickly. There was a few times I noticed he shot his way out of trouble when he got out of position.

Wonder what PK weighed in at? He looks slimmed down to me since the college season. Any chance he cuts to 57 this year? That is 6 more pounds from 74kg's.
He is not the biggest looking 165 to my eyes but I can't see him making 157.

Yep he had a good tourney and that was a horrendous call. I said it at the time and I stand by it. Swafford was having some trouble getting off bottom, if he locks that down he could push 174.

Reactions: natchrlman
sorry to say but a lot of wishful thinking going on here with Swafford. He’s not beating out Brands for the spot and this is coming from someone who hasn’t been all that high Brands cause I still see him as a fringe AA. Congrats to Swafford. He has clearly worked his ass off and made a U23 world team in the process. I’m still trying to figure out him pulling his RS last year but what’s done is done.

Reactions: pumpdog20
I'm not going to get too caught up in how the lineup shakes out because it really doesn't matter much. I see AAs at 125, 141, 197 and 285. Guys with a decent shot at 149 and 165 and not projected to AA at 133, 157, 174 and 184. We will be doing good to finish in a trophy spot.

sorry to say but a lot of wishful thinking going on here with Swafford. He’s not beating out Brands for the spot and this is coming from someone who hasn’t been all that high Brands cause I still see him as a fringe AA. Congrats to Swafford. He has clearly worked his ass off and made a U23 world team in the process. I’m still trying to figure out him pulling his RS last year but what’s done is done.
Who’s saying he’s gonna win the spot? I think he can push for it, which is what you want at a spot where no one is a proven AA. It should make both of them better. Furthermore, who’s to say Brands respond well to his surgery. It’s nice to have options, and I think that’s the optimism that you’re reading here, for both Brands and Cobe. Competition makes everyone better.

Swafford did not make the world team.

Quit being a homer....the glass is always 1/2 full....

I'm not going to get too caught up in how the lineup shakes out because it really doesn't matter much. I see AAs at 125, 141, 197 and 285. Guys with a decent shot at 149 and 165 and not projected to AA at 133, 157, 174 and 184. We will be doing good to finish in a trophy spot.
....If PK cuts to 57 and Brands and Swafford cut to 65 and 74....who knows what could happen....butter your toast on both sides once in a while. This is just off season chat...

Swafford did not make the world team.
I understand he’s not the rep but I thought top 3 is on the world team? Is there some guys from the open the are gonna knock him offh
....If PK cuts to 57 and Brands and Swafford cut to 65 and 74....who knows what could happen....butter your toast on both sides once in a while. This is just off season chat...
PK at 157? Wishful thinking IMO but we will see

I understand he’s not the rep but I thought top 3 is on the world team? Is there some guys from the open the are gonna knock him off?

Top 3 from Senior Nationals make the National Team. The only members of the World Team are those who participate on the World Team.

I'm not penciling him in as a champ or AA, just that I like his style and he will pushing for a spot. Nothing wrong with good competition in the room. Makes everybody better.

I’d throw 165 in that AA group. Barring injury, PK is legit. Also, kueter is probably my favorite recruit since Spencer (except maybe PK). That kid has the raw ability to be as good as he wants to be. Truly special. I hate to say it, but he would be at least a 2 timer if he went to penn state with those partners at his weight. If we can’t develop him I don’t know what to say. He reminds me a lot of bo nickal.

Reactions: Jaybird319
I did not hear his interview so maybe...if so my bad.
No worries. I'm fairly certain in one of his post U23 interviews I watched in one of these threads that he said he would be 165 this year for the Hawks so I doubt 157 is in the plans for him.

I’d throw 165 in that AA group. Barring injury, PK is legit. Also, kueter is probably my favorite recruit since Spencer (except maybe PK). That kid has the raw ability to be as good as he wants to be. Truly special. I hate to say it, but he would be at least a 2 timer if he went to penn state with those partners at his weight. If we can’t develop him I don’t know what to say. He reminds me a lot of bo nickal.
Kueter's development will be far greater impacted by his football career than anything the Brands Bros can do for him.

If he were to be a fully dedicated HWT wrestler you'd have a better point.

I think Kueter is very talented but he is not in any way similar to Bo Nickal in style. Kueter is not at all a funky big move guy, he's a positioning and power guy. There are times he seems a bit stiff and hesitant. I think Feldman would probably beat him fairly well right now and will be an obstacle to winning a title.

ADVERTISEMENT