ADVERTISEMENT

U23 Day 2 results/discussion

Would be fun to watch Spencer humble RBY.
It would be pretty one sided. Especially close after weigh ins like it would be for a dual. Most of the shots Austin got in on against RBY, Spencer will finish. RBY would have a terrible time on bottom as well.

Not too many giving the HAWKS the props I believe they deserve! I will take a bet on this team winning a medal next year. The line up is very sold. Yea it could be better at a few weights but after this weekend to have a negative outlook puzzles me a bit?

Lee, Wood, Warner, and Cass, all should be in the title hunt with Lee being a huge favorite as long as knees are Ok. You then have Murin at 49, and Kennedy at 65. That to me is 6 AAs. Assad, Brands, add two more battle tested guys who will need to raise their game but have showed signs they can beat those they will need to to AA. 33 appears to have a few options that look good, and 157 may be a little stronger then we all though after a pretty strong showing by some of the young guns this weekend.

Is that enough to catch F*** st. Right now, no, but things change/happen!

Now could kennedy go down to 157? He looked lean and mean and I believe was 6 pound over? IF he could make 57 and still perform at the high level we just watched. That makes things a lot more interesting! 165 is loaded so although I believe he steps right in and battles for a championship at 65, the competition is great and little to no room for era.

At 157, I think his chances would go up dramatically(again IF he isn't too sucked out) to win it. More importantly, the line up with Brands at 165, and Swafford at 174, could be stronger?

just for HAHAs. Lets say Kennedy does go down and is another HAWK in championship contention. that brings it to 5 Title contenders, Murin giving us another good AA shot. Brands and Swafford Would have a tough road to plow. Leaving Assad and 133. Could it be enough?

Reactions: PinDoxRico
finally bit the bullet and resubscribed to flo so i could see some of the young guys wrestle.

kennedy is at 165 gilman. the way they handfight and move is exactly the same. you can tell he's been picking up a lot of gilman's underhook/iranian style handfighting. uses his forward pressure to snap guys down when they pressure back and run down legs.

finishing clean will determine his ceiling. still gets countered too much, but he looked great.

Reactions: HawkFan1986
boy if rathjen could clean up the finishes, he could be really really good. gets to that hi-c on everybody. feels like i say that for a lot of hawkeyes though. that's one thing psu is so good at. their best guys are high level finishers. they don't waste opportunities.

Reactions: Trapper85 and zoe22
You guys all up for some highlight reels?!?!

of course I am up for making them. My brother is a stud… that helps!! Thank goodness we have him, y’all!

I’ll start with kennedy.

when he said the words, “it felt good to win again,” in his post interview…. it almost brought me to tears.

You guys are going to have a lot of fun with this new crop if you let yourselves! And Pat Kennedy is THE perfect leader! Just saying!

more to come! Very happy!

I’m gonna start working on some reels for the U20/23 guys, but first I am gonna post a couple individual matches that were easy to upload…

to start… here is one of the matches that has been discussed a bit on here with Brennan (Swaff) in the semifinals vs 2 or 3X NCAA Qualifier (I think he wrestled Kemerer in the blood round this past year), Mickey O’ Malley of Drexel (also a NJ state champ and Fargo champ in HS).

Ok hear me out on this one. We lost this match 5-2 and what’s bizarre is that with a different official, we literally could have won this one 8-2 at the minimum.

At the :40 mark, O’Malley scored 2 points for an exposure that if you watch it closely, you’ll see it wasn’t there. M* almost threw the brick on that.

At the 6:20 mark, this guy tried to throw and Brennan was waiting for it and put him right to his back and it was stopped and the official called it a “slip.” It’s one of the more stupid calls I witnessed of the entire tournament. We could have been awarded 2-4 there, but instead, O’Malley was awarded 1 point for Brennan losing the challenge (and damn right M* made the right decision there)…. Unbelievable…

At the 8:10 mark, we had a leg lace locked up and the referee stopped it for potentially dangerous… a leg lace In freestyle called potentially dangerous…. Strange.

Pardon me for flexing my bowling balls a bit, but Brennan Swafford should have been a finalist at the minimum at the U23 tourney last weekend. Unless I am missing out on a ton of Freestyle rules that I am unaware of, I think we should have won this…

Can someone explain to me why these calls were made the way they were? Because I don’t get it and am not a certified ref, so I’ll consider the possibility that maybe I’m wrong?

This is Round Of 64 Brennan Swafford vs. Edmond Ruth of Penn (yes Ed Ruth’s brother). Ruth was a 2X State champ in PA and a blue-chipper recruit coming out of HS and went to Lehigh, but got in trouble and kicked off the team as a result and he has since straightened up his life and I think he’s now in the process of enrolling at Illinois where his bro is coaching.

This match is where Brennan threw the headlock that some of you enjoyed.

Couple wins from Drew Bennett… Iowa won the U23 team title with 6 guys…5 of them placed, with Cassioppi and PK winning it and Assad, Brennan and Siebrecht placing 3-3-4…

The odd man out who didn’t place was Bennett, BUT you can’t harsh on him too bad about that… he got hurt. And before he did, he won 2 nice matches that surely helped HWC in the team race:

Reactions: jrod65 and TarpHawk
I’m gonna start working on some reels for the U20/23 guys, but first I am gonna post a couple individual matches that were easy to upload…

to start… here is one of the matches that has been discussed a bit on here with Brennan (Swaff) in the semifinals vs 2 or 3X NCAA Qualifier (I think he wrestled Kemerer in the blood round this past year), Mickey O’ Malley of Drexel (also a NJ state champ and Fargo champ in HS).

Ok hear me out on this one. We lost this match 5-2 and what’s bizarre is that with a different official, we literally could have won this one 8-2 at the minimum.

At the :40 mark, O’Malley scored 2 points for an exposure that if you watch it closely, you’ll see it wasn’t there. M* almost threw the brick on that.

At the 6:20 mark, this guy tried to throw and Brennan was waiting for it and put him right to his back and it was stopped and the official called it a “slip.” It’s one of the more stupid calls I witnessed of the entire tournament. We could have been awarded 2-4 there, but instead, O’Malley was awarded 1 point for Brennan losing the challenge (and damn right M* made the right decision there)…. Unbelievable…

At the 8:10 mark, we had a leg lace locked up and the referee stopped it for potentially dangerous… a leg lace In freestyle called potentially dangerous…. Strange.

Pardon me for flexing my bowling balls a bit, but Brennan Swafford should have been a finalist at the minimum at the U23 tourney last weekend. Unless I am missing out on a ton of Freestyle rules that I am unaware of, I think we should have won this…

Can someone explain to me why these calls were made the way they were? Because I don’t get it and am not a certified ref, so I’ll consider the possibility that maybe I’m wrong?

I have no idea how that was ruled a slip. Bad call that had a big impact on the score.

From the video angle, seemed pretty clear there was no exposure on the 1st 2 points of match, but can see how the ref and table judge saw 2 from their angle. Pretty sure had it been challenged which MStar almost did, it would have been overturned.

As far as the potentially dangerous, I was ok with that call. Wasn't a traditional lace situation and there was some extra torque caused by Brennan being in a standing position.

You’re spot on. I was watching live and couldn’t believe it.. BTW, was that you in the corner with Star during that match??

Reactions: blcoach80
I have no idea how that was ruled a slip. Bad call that had a big impact on the score.

From the video angle, seemed pretty clear there was no exposure on the 1st 2 points of match, but can see how the ref and table judge saw 2 from their angle. Pretty sure had it been challenged which MStar almost did, it would have been overturned.

As far as the potentially dangerous, I was ok with that call. Wasn't a traditional lace situation and there was some extra torque caused by Brennan being in a standing position.
Right on… thank you for your input on that.

Reactions: jrod65

I agree with you on the slip (terrible call the first time and even worse to uphold it on review, baffling actually). The exposure early would have been reversed on a challenge, but I would say the same on the slip so who the hell knows. The PD could go either way so it is what it is. Brennan definitely got the short end of the stick though. Great tourney for him!

ADVERTISEMENT