ADVERTISEMENT

U23s

We shouldn't underestimate the value of the HWC at tournaments like this (and I'm not saying you are, Grip -- quite the opposite, actually). Our HWC guys are great mentors, training partners, coaches, and cheerleaders. Their influence was all over this past weekend. They're a huge source of support for the guys currently in the program, and the value of that support is enormous.
You are correct sir its not like I am surprised, but it is the off season and people have families. We all know wrestlers travel well especially the Hawks. I Wish I had more time too be at some of these events to have a chance to meet some of the former and current Hawks, the offseason tournaments are a perfect time to do that...

Last edited:
Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
rumors are cool - keep 'em coming with no names and no proof. It is rumored that every NC is coming to Iowa and agrees to accept no Schollie money - as long as they get to wear the black and gold.
rumors are cool - keep 'em coming with no names and no proof. It is rumored that every NC is coming to Iowa and agrees to accept no Schollie money - as long as they get to wear the black and gold.
The PROOF piece is going to be pretty tough right now because nobody is certifying today for next season but there is some momentum behind Micah Jordan to 149 (OSU) for one...

The PROOF piece is going to be pretty tough right now because nobody is certifying today for next season but there is some momentum behind Micah Jordan to 149 (OSU) for one...

If proving a rumor on Hawkeye Report regarding someones weight class months before the season is your priority then you have much bigger problems in life. There are 7 returning All americans at 157. There are talks of three of them going down. One is going up 2 weight classes. Wrestle Leeth/Kolodzik or Nolf?

Reactions: el dub
Overall the best wrestlers in folk can transition into freestyle better than the reverse we have seen that with how our world team is doing currently.
I’m not sure if this is even prove able. I think Sadulaev and Chamizo would do just fine in folk style.

Reactions: lookleft goright
I’m not sure if this is even prove able. I think Sadulaev and Chamizo would do just fine in folk style.

If then 18 year old Sadulaev, fresh off a dominant world win decided he wanted to come to Iowa and learn the ways of Gable, Busch Light and sweet corn...I'm guessing we would have a few that would object that he never wrestled folkstyle and it is totally different.

Yes .

And yes (freestyle part).

There's correlation in terms of overall success. No doubt. But to apply that at the match level just doesn't wash.

And the California wrestling style. One of my kids best friends moved from Clovis to Cedar Falls. Zero hand fighting, sucked on bottom, no leg riding and said it’s just not taught there. He’s was ranked as a freshman, but moving here is going to help him in the long run. He’ll be a good one, especially with the n

40+ million people there. How many d1 champs are they putting out?

FYI, the Clones and Nebraska are throwing invites and hitting my oldest freshman son hard already. They must spend a lot of time sending stuff to any kid that stepped on the mat.

He wouldn’t even touch them asked they be ripped up and thrown away. Good boy.

Its made from corn

That’s a shit rice beer like Budweiser. It’s just a white trash staple.
Thats kinda harsh and its wrong.... it’s made from corn... bud light is made from rice.... and while I don’t drink it I know a lot of really successful people that drink it at our football tailgate.....kinda ignorant to label someone white trash over a kind of beer they drink....I don’t think I like you

Thats kinda harsh and its wrong.... it’s made from corn... bud light is made from rice.... and while I don’t drink it I know a lot of really successful people that drink it at our football tailgate.....kinda ignorant to label someone white trash over a kind of beer they drink....I don’t think I like you

Only in Iowa......

Only in Iowa......
Love it or leave it.... for the record I took a friend of mine to a wrestling meet this year and met a friend from Des Moines at 30 hop in IC .... the friend I was taking drinks busch light...I being a nonjudgmental and good friend had to suffer the indignity of calling a craft beer mecca and asking if they served Busch Light.... they do

Reactions: Gobblin and el dub
Yes you could have a point there but! My point is if you take a guys like that and make them wrestle by Ncaa rules I think they would struggle more so then our top guys (JB,Dake,Taylor,Gilman,JO,) do with Free. I left Snyder off the list because one his style and two he has been training for the Olympics since Jr hs. I think what the US athletes are doing nowadays will keep us at the top in the world for the foreseeable future. I pose to you this question if Taylor grew up in a foreign country wrestling Free then moved to the US to go to college and wrestle would he be as good as he is now? I use him because as far as I know he did not compete in any free up to college.

If proving a rumor on Hawkeye Report regarding someones weight class months before the season is your priority then you have much bigger problems in life. There are 7 returning All americans at 157. There are talks of three of them going down. One is going up 2 weight classes. Wrestle Leeth/Kolodzik or Nolf?
If you read correctly, I say that the proof piece is going to be tough....agreeing with you and many others that an athlete's weight is mere speculation at this point in the year - especially when there are people on here that require hard core proof in order to believe anything. So, no, it is not my priority. Is it yours being that you spent 3 more sentences saying basically the exact same things as me?

Not many do like me, I’m ok with that. I’ll stick with my rice statement and I was only kidding about the white trash. It’s fine American lager.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budweiser

But back to the topic.

Takeaways:

1. Young (3rd @ 74K) looks like he will be competitive at 157. That is the most positive sign for the Hawks from this tourney.

2. Lugo (5th @ 70K) will be solid at 149 but didn't blow away the competition. Stock neither up nor down.

3. Wilcke (5th @ 86K) showed he is still in the conversation at 184. To see him place at a tough tourney like this is good for his confidence...which is good.

Not many do like me, I’m ok with that. I’ll stick with my rice statement and I was only kidding about the white trash. It’s fine American lager.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budweiser
I’ll say one more thing and drop it... the Wikipedia link you shared is about Budweiser and while Anheuser Bush makes both Budweiser and Busch they use corn in Busch... a good friend who is a highly educated research scientist and works at the U of I and is a almost famous Hawkeye fan drinks it simply because he thinks he’s supporting Iowa farmers....and to get drunk

I’ll say one more thing and drop it... the Wikipedia link you shared is about Budweiser and while Anheuser Bush makes both Budweiser and Busch they use corn in Busch... a good friend who is a highly educated research scientist and works at the U of I and is a almost famous Hawkeye fan drinks it simply because he thinks he’s supporting Iowa farmers....and to get drunk

Gotcha, I believe you and I’ll stop hijacking this thread. Good to know.

Reactions: natchrlman

Gotcha, I believe you and I’ll stop hijacking this thread. Good to know.
Its all good.... you’re alright I was just kidding about not liking you :) :)

Reactions: SansSouci
On a side note
But back to the topic.

Takeaways:

1. Young (3rd @ 74K) looks like he will be competitive at 157. That is the most positive sign for the Hawks from this tourney.

2. Lugo (5th @ 70K) will be solid at 149 but didn't blow away the competition. Stock neither up nor down.

3. Wilcke (5th @ 86K) showed he is still in the conversation at 184. To see him place at a tough tourney like this is good for his confidence...which is good.
I had stated previously that we will be in very shape at 49 and 57. I really never get down on the guys and all Im going to say is I think 184 could be the weakest weight on the roster now. I do like Cash at 184 and I think he will compete better there he needs more confidence in his offense.

Reactions: funnyfletcher
If you read correctly, I say that the proof piece is going to be tough....agreeing with you and many others that an athlete's weight is mere speculation at this point in the year - especially when there are people on here that require hard core proof in order to believe anything. So, no, it is not my priority. Is it yours being that you spent 3 more sentences saying basically the exact same things as me?

I’m on your side dude. Pry should have replied to the other guy that wanted recorded phone convos posted on HR for his approval.

Reactions: Gobblin
Never heard of them. Is either at a need weight and can we get them to come early and establish residency in Iowa first?

If then 18 year old Sadulaev, fresh off a dominant world win decided he wanted to come to Iowa and learn the ways of Gable, Busch Light and sweet corn...I'm guessing we would have a few that would object that he never wrestled folkstyle and it is totally different.
The cream rises to the top.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT