ADVERTISEMENT

Uber’s Self-Driving Car Didn’t Know Pedestrians Could Jaywalk

You know, there was a human in the car, supposedly trained to identify these situations and prevent a problem. Sometimes humans make mistakes.

The important thing is that eventually the AI in these vehicles is going to make way fewer mistakes than humans. Even then, there will be instanced in which fatal accidents occur, traceable to a shortcoming in the vehicle’s capabilities.

The question is, would you prefer 5000 people killed each year, all traced to programming errors, or 30,000 killed each year due to human error.
Good point, but......
Would you say the same if one of your loved ones was part of the 5000? I bet not :).

If fewer die, then that's a "win" isn't it?
see question above

giphy.gif

So...the software detected a “vehicle othervehicleotherbicycleotherbicycle” in its path but figured it could just drive through it?

Yeah, having worked in AI and the IT world, I find that far more problematic than only specifically looking for "pedestrians" in a crosswalk. You're never going to have a perfect program that will identify person, bike, box, skateboard, panda bear, hawk, squirrel, chipmunk, bag of groceries, etc., each with specific sets of actions.

What should have happened is assess the size, speed and direction of the potential "obstacle" and react appropriately, not just get to "other" and plow ahead. In this case, two elements to key in on would be size and the fact that the person is traveling along the ground. If I'm driving and see anything 5 feet+ tall moving on a path that appears likely to intersect mine, I'm going to take some sort of evasive action. I'm not going to do that if I see a fluttering leaf that might bounce off my windshield.

Reactions: The Tradition
Yeah, having worked in AI and the IT world, I find that far more problematic than only specifically looking for "pedestrians" in a crosswalk. You're never going to have a perfect program that will identify person, bike, box, skateboard, panda bear, hawk, squirrel, chipmunk, bag of groceries, etc., each with specific sets of actions.

What should have happened is assess the size, speed and direction of the potential "obstacle" and react appropriately, not just get to "other" and plow ahead. In this case, two elements to key in on would be size and the fact that the person is traveling along the ground. If I'm driving and see anything 5 feet+ tall moving on a path that appears likely to intersect mine, I'm going to take some sort of evasive action. I'm not going to do that if I see a fluttering leaf that might bounce off my windshield.

I'm not going to do that for a squirrel, hawk or chipmunk, either.

There are huge downsides to self driving cars. Number one on the list is that they are going to drastically change the economy around the world by putting millions out of work.

That's the price of progress. There will be spinoff industries and new developments that come as a result......but unless we're going to arbitrarily halt automation, there's not much to be done. There will be winners, there will be losers and society will continue to evolve.

Reactions: silasstarr
I'm not going to do that for a squirrel, hawk or chipmunk, either.

Nope, but that's where the specific identification doesn't matter....I can't think of too many things 5 feet tall moving to intercept my path staying firmly on the ground that I'm not going to do everything possible to miss. Size, elevation and path dictate action.

That's the price of progress. There will be spinoff industries and new developments that come as a result......but unless we're going to arbitrarily halt automation, there's not much to be done. There will be winners, there will be losers and society will continue to evolve.

Politicians will protect jobs by mandating a human driver in long-haul, 18-wheelers... which honestly, is the best immediate use of this technology.

Nope, but that's where the specific identification doesn't matter....I can't think of too many things 5 feet tall moving to intercept my path staying firmly on the ground that I'm not going to do everything possible to miss. Size, elevation and path dictate action.

I hit a rolling ball of metal gardening fence one time. It didn't really mess up my car (it was a beater), but it did get stuck under the car and I was spewing sparks all over the place. Getting it out of there was a bitch.

Reactions: hawkifann
There are huge downsides to self driving cars. Number one on the list is that they are going to drastically change the economy around the world by putting millions out of work.

How are millions going to be put out of work?

My point in posting this article was to highlight that it's insane to not program your car to look for humans outside of crosswalks. That's ridiculous and all the cops in this thread know it.

That's the other disturbing part of this in addition to not programming it to see pedestrians outside of crosswalks, is that apparently if it can't figure out what something is it was told to just drive right through it?

Next Up In Self Driving Software Fails:

• No idea that trees can fall down across roads
  • No idea electrical poles can fall down across roads
  • No idea vehicles do not float when encountering >3ft of water in roadway
  • No idea what a baby carriage is
  • No idea that 6" of snow and ice affects acceleration and braking
  • No idea that thick fog doesn't mean "Wide open freeway", but rather "No visibility"

On a side note about AI cars is the issue of when they have to decide who dies in an inevitable accident. Will the AI decide who has the best chance of survival? Will there be hacks in AI software that protects your car above all others? There are a lot of interesting problems that will need to be addressed and regulated.

Next Up In Self Driving Software Fails:

• No idea that trees can fall down across roads
  • No idea electrical poles can fall down across roads
  • No idea vehicles do not float when encountering >3ft of water in roadway
  • No idea what a baby carriage is
  • No idea that 6" of snow and ice affects acceleration and braking
  • No idea that thick fog doesn't mean "Wide open freeway", but rather "No visibility"

I thought you liked science?

So idiotic mistakes like this are acceptable, because people die anyways?

:confused:

It is all part of it. I wish it could be 100% clean but that isn't possible as HUMANS are doing the programming this point for these vehicles and maybe you haven't noticed but newer software, even developed software, never seems to be 100% bug proof.

However if autonomous vehicles are shown to statistically be safer for drivers, passengers, and pedestrians isn't that a step in a better direction even if it isn't 100%?

For example:

On the afternoon of July 16, 2003, George Weller, then age 86, drove his 1992 Buick LeSabre westbound down Arizona Avenue in Santa Monica, California toward the city's popular Third Street Promenade. The last few blocks of the street, before it ends at the ocean, had been closed to vehicle traffic for the biweekly farmers' market.

Weller's car struck a 2003 Mercedes-Benz S430 sedan that had stopped to allow pedestrians through a crosswalk, then accelerated around a road closure sign, crashed through wooden sawhorses, and plowed through the busy marketplace crowd, traveling nearly 1,000 feet (300 m) at speeds between 40 and 60 mph (60 and 100 km/h). The entire sequence of collisions took at least 10 seconds.

By the time the car came to a halt, ten people had been killed and 63 were injured. Weller told investigators he had accidentally placed his foot on the accelerator pedal instead of the brake, then tried to brake but could not stop. Days after the crash, Weller issued a statement saying he was distraught and heartbroken, and his attorney called it an accident.

That's insane. People have eyes, and even if jaywalking is illegal, one is expected to not run people over if they're jaywalking. If you were jaywalking, and you saw a car from 500 yards coming at you, I would expect you to be surprised if it did not slow down and ran right over you.

I watched the video three times. The deceased was crossing in a pitch dark area in between lights and you can NOT see her until about a half second before the car hits her. And unfortunately she was squarely in the middle of the lane. So even if I had been driving and wide awake, focused exclusively ahead and not day dreaming or grooving to some music....I would have plowed into her almost full speed. Certainly not with enough time to evade her or put on the brakes and come to a stop. I MIGHT have been able to slow down 5-10mph if I slammed on the brakes right when I first saw her. And that would NOT have mattered, she would have been just as dead.

It’s unfortunate, but when you watch the video and if you’re honest with yourself, no human driver would have saved her not even a NASCAR driver with split second reflexes.

If anything, it shows how lucky I have been. Because any one of us would have killed that lady and even if we got off criminally and civilly, our mental health and finances would be destroyed.

My point in posting this article was to highlight that it's insane to not program your car to look for humans outside of crosswalks. That's ridiculous and all the cops in this thread know it.

If they were selling this to the general public advertised as fully autonomous, that would be pretty insane. My assumption is that Uber is testing based on the features they have now, and are depending on the human to take over when needed. I think we can all be pretty confident that - barring total lack of federal regulations - no vehicle is going to be sold to the public as a Level 4 or Level 5 vehicle without being able to identify pedestrians wherever they may be.

I watched the video three times. The deceased was crossing in a pitch dark area in between lights and you can NOT see her until about a half second before the car hits her. And unfortunately she was squarely in the middle of the lane. So even if I had been driving and wide awake, focused exclusively ahead and not day dreaming or grooving to some music....I would have plowed into her almost full speed. Certainly not with enough time to evade her or put on the brakes and come to a stop. I MIGHT have been able to slow down 5-10mph if I slammed on the brakes right when I first saw her. And that would NOT have mattered, she would have been just as dead.

It’s unfortunate, but when you watch the video and if you’re honest with yourself, no human driver would have saved her not even a NASCAR driver with split second reflexes.

If anything, it shows how lucky I have been. Because any one of us would have killed that lady and even if we got off criminally and civilly, our mental health and finances would be destroyed.

My aim in posting this wasn't to debate whether the lady should have died, it was to highlight that for some reason Uber hadn't programmed their cars that were being tested on live roads to recognize humans outside of crosswalks.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
20 month investigation in this one incident? The software now is probably nothing close to what it was when it happened

I'll agree that the code has probably changed significantly since this happened. That said, they probably had to do countless tests to figure out if there were other factors at play that conflicted with the code in question (hardware issues) and looking at the endless lines of code to see if there any conflicting codes...

20 month seems extreme I'll admit, but given the newness of the technology I would guess they wanted to be as thorough as possible to test all other possible factors and ID any solutions and such.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT