ADVERTISEMENT

UCLA and USC to join B1G

SIAP as I see it’s posted in some of the other boards but didn’t see it here…

Big news for sure…

Reactions: BBHawk
Impact on basketball will be interesting. Scheduling/travel may be a challenge.

Any Iowa BB players from southern CA since Steve Carfino??

It sure will make travel a challenge, especially when the East and West coast teams play each other.

Makes me wonder if we go to divisions in hoops in 2024.

Bryce Cartwright was from Compton, CA as I recall.

Last edited:
NGL, I'm a little concerned about what the likely ramifications of super conferences mean for college basketball. It seems like we're likely heading towards the NCAA likely being dissolved down the road here. What does that mean for the NCAA tournament as we know it? Will these super conferences want a tournament (where a majority of TV revenue for CBB is earned) where profits are shared with the other 30+ conferences? Or will they break off and go to an NBA playoff model where we do best of 3s or 5s series and leave the smaller schools to fend for themselves and we lose the cinderella stories that make the tournament so great.
I get that CBB makes peanuts compared to CFB in terms of TV revenue which is why these decisions are being made--but I have a very pessimistic outlook on what that means for March Madness..
Curious if anyone else has thoughts on that.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
I think the B1G and SEC will say goodbye to the ncaa and will have their own organization instead. Probably will happen fairly quickly too.

Reactions: Hawkeyesgonewild

I'm sure they'll do some creative scheduling where teams will do like a Thursday/Saturday back-to-back with USC & UCLA, to minimize travel. That way teams only have to do 1 Cali trip a year.
And then for them, they could do 2 or 3 road games a time within proximity to minimize travel--like a Maryland, Rutgers, Penn St. trip for a Mon/Thu/Sat swing. With how much online classes there are nowadays, being gone for an entire week at a time really isn't too bad.

Wonder how much a gallon of jet fuel is. Just for a conference game the cost to send your team, well, it's going to be much more expensive. These schools have way too much money. No wonder tuition is so high.
You do know tuition does not pay for athletics?

somehow this reeks of an elaborate scheme to get alford back into the b1g
That must be it, also was my second thought (that oh shit does this mean Alford is back?) or is he gone already I haven’t paid attention.

Travel does seem hard on everyone involved…. I’m sure it was the tv network calling them. Sad.

I'm really going to hate those Wednesday night 10pm tips.

On the gigantic plus side, maybe BTN can poach national treasure Bill Walton.

Had this exact thought. But I am not a Bill Walton Experience fan. I know we don't have to go over it all because we did that last season.

However, I'd laugh hearing him do a game without saying conference of champions.

Had this exact thought. But I am not a Bill Walton Experience fan. I know we don't have to go over it all because we did that last season.

However, I'd laugh hearing him do a game without saying conference of champions.
Goes from the conference where there isn't any truckstops, to the one with world's largest. Bill Walton's whole existence got flipped upside down today.

I think the B1G and SEC will say goodbye to the ncaa and will have their own organization instead. Probably will happen fairly quickly too.
On the football side, that definitely could happen. NCAA doesn't control the media rights at all for football and NCAA right now basically does zero enforcement on football as there is no incentive for them to step in. Football has been growing ever more autonomous since the 1980s when the conferences got their own media rights for football. And NCAA is completely cut out of media package for the playoff.

Basketball is another matter. The Big 10, SEC and any other conferences would have to decide they aren't playing for an NCAA championship. They could, of course, have their own tournament but that's a lot to leave.

BT should do what the PAC 12 already does for the most part in scheduling. You play USC and UCLA in the same week (Thursday/Sat). The scheduling is more problematic for UCLA/USC coming east but with the money they make, the extra flights and costs will be the least of their worries for sure. In part that is why I believe there will be more coming out West. The Pac12 TV deal scheduled through 2023 will now be considerably less than before and it was already about half of the BT to begin with.

Wonder how much a gallon of jet fuel is. Just for a conference game the cost to send your team, well, it's going to be much more expensive. These schools have way too much money. No wonder tuition is so high.
Tuition not affected by this. Just the TV $$$$$$$$ alone will cover many new baubles for the ADs in the B1G.

I'm glad big ten did this if not sec would of ran all over . Now I hope we make play for Oregon and Washington and Stanford

Those are two pretty rugged teams to be tossing into the B1G Basketball Schedule. Every coach in the league had better plan on stepping things up a notch.

Original question was players from California since Carfino. Jerry doesn't fit that qualification
Depends on how you look at it. Came to Iowa a year after Carfino; left a year before Carfino did.

I had no idea it had nothing to do with tuition. My bad. I love the competition, but just seems like a waste bringing in two teams so far from everyone else.

Will be interesting to see how they integrate those two West Coast teams into the unbalanced B1G schedule. At least there's a lot of talent in California for McCaffery to pursue while we're out there.

Reactions: Herklejerk
ADVERTISEMENT