ADVERTISEMENT

UCLA to B1G Causing Big Problems for California

Gavin Newsom doesn’t care about beavers.
Nobody cares about the beavers!

FVWVXsG.png

Cal should just join the Big Ten as well. They can bring Stanford, Oregon, and Washington with them to make it an even 20.
They would do exactly that if the Big 10 would have them. However, they don't bring enough TV's to raise that rights money split sooooo, that's not going to happen.

Reactions: Tenacious E
They would do exactly that if the Big 10 would have them. However, they don't bring enough TV's to raise that rights money split sooooo, that's not going to happen.
San Francisco/Oakland/San Jose is the 6th largest tv market in America. Seattle/Tacoma is #12 and Portland is #21.

I’d say that adds a few tv screens to the BTN footprint.

San Francisco/Oakland/San Jose is the 6th largest tv market in America. Seattle/Tacoma is #12 and Portland is #21.

I haven't studied the math nor do I understand the formulas the Big 10 uses to figure these things out but clearly they've done some research and that area just doesn't bring in enough TV's to make the split of TV money get bigger. If it did, they would be getting those schools to join as well, particularly Stanford which fits with the Big 10 academic culture so well.

Honestly, I don't have an opinion on this anymore. College sports as we knew it is over so I've decided I'm just not going to worry about it and I'll just follow Iowa. The Big 10 and other conferences are going to do what they feel they need to do and they aren't going to care what fans think. If we end up with something better than we had, great. If not, well, I'll enjoy watching Iowa play football (and other sports), or at the least get pissed off at coaching decisions I really have no qualifications to be questioning them about.

16 is the magic number. 20 is just too many, IMO.

The B1G would disagree. They are at 16, with USC/UCLA, and we know they are trying to add at least 1 more in ND. And they won't stop at 17.

I think having the late night game slot would help a little since there is no competition if we take these teams in. Im not sure how much value it would Bring with splitting the revenue with all teams listed tho

I will be very surprised if the B1G doesn’t add some more west coast teams. It’s going to be very expensive and cumbersome for USC and UCLA to have all their sports teams making all those trips to the midwest and east coast. I think when all the dust settles, the core of the PAC-12 will essentially become the Big Ten West along with Iowa, Nebraska, Minnesota, and Wisconsin.

I think having the late night game slot would help a little since there is no competition if we take these teams in. Im not sure how much value it would Bring with splitting the revenue with all teams listed tho
I'm thinking that night games featuring almost any BIG10 team against a former Pac10 team would draw well.

Maybe Canada
I and others have said before, imagine the University of Toronto in the Big Ten. Yes their football team sucks and they play on a 110 yard field, but if they were serious they could adapt and build to respectability. Probably faster than Rutgers.

Toronto is an AAU member, has over 60k students, and is basically a Big Ten equivalent school in Canada. It also sits in a metropolitan area of almost 10MM people. It could pay for itself if you could get BTN on all of the TV sets in the area.

I think that would be a great partner to bring in if ND ever decides to cave and join.

Reactions: TJ8869
I and others have said before, imagine the University of Toronto in the Big Ten. Yes their football team sucks and they play on a 110 yard field, but if they were serious they could adapt and build to respectability. Probably faster than Rutgers.

Toronto is an AAU member, has over 60k students, and is basically a Big Ten equivalent school in Canada. It also sits in a metropolitan area of almost 10MM people. It could pay for itself if you could get BTN on all of the TV sets in the area.

I think that would be a great partner to bring in if ND ever decides to cave and join.
Bring in McGill as well.

Toronto would bring in all the TV sets in Canada, all 11M. Nearly everyone in Canada from Yukon to Nova Scotia is a Blue Jays fan.

I see our stupid legislature doing the same with the CLOWNS when the Big 12 drops to a lesser tier.

The B1G(6), will not invite the clowns, the worst thing that could happen is the state legislature passed a bill requiring the schools to play each other annually.

The B1G(6), will not invite the clowns, the worst thing that could happen is the state legislature passed a bill requiring the schools to play each other annually.
I'm not even sure the Iowa legislature passing a law like this will work anymore.

Evidently, the Big 10 is still studying bringing in more teams. There are no scenarios I have heard rumored that involve Cal though.

I will be very surprised if the B1G doesn’t add some more west coast teams. It’s going to be very expensive and cumbersome for USC and UCLA to have all their sports teams making all those trips to the midwest and east coast. I think when all the dust settles, the core of the PAC-12 will essentially become the Big Ten West along with Iowa, Nebraska, Minnesota, and Wisconsin.
If we/the big ten really wanted them it would have happened by now. They are part of a plan B down the road, if at all.

Reactions: VodkaSam
ADVERTISEMENT