ADVERTISEMENT

UCLA/USC to B1G?!?!?!

I don't think I've attacked or gotten personal with anyone. If you think I did with you, apologies. I know I've been called quite a few names. If you don't like the way I post, the ignore function works pretty slick.

My point about Iowa being booted from the B1G as a coping mechanism was meant about ISU fans who now are falling back onto that as a way to cope with the fact that Iowa has a spot in what will soon be the Power 2, and they don't. Wasn't directed at anyone on here because with the USC/UCLA news there's nothing for an Iowa fan to cope with.

As for why I think that, if we're headed to two 20-24 team super conferences, they're not going to be made up by 40-48 Alabamas and OSUs and Michigans and Georgias. There simply aren't that many of those elite programs, the conferences are going to need lower tier but still strong programs to round the conferences out, and I believe Iowa is one of the top 40-48 programs in the country and will safely have a place at that table.

Now we're talking. I too apologize if I hit back too hard.

Now Clowns coping ... Didn't understand that so I agree. Clown fans are the second most delusional in the country-Notre Dame are the worst, of course. Delusional.

That third paragraph is true for now but, and I won't be alive when this plays out, but the future is very uncertain. The next football hire will be the biggest hire in Iowa history, not just coaches but any position in the University.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
Hmmm. Hayden left and we got Kirk. But yeah let’s look at shit all pessimistic worst case scenario like.
Dr. Davis left and we got Alford. Alford left and we got Lick.

How many head coaches have Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota, Nebraska, Maryland, Rutgers, and Purdue had since Iowa hired KF? Nebraska collapsed and none have caught us in success, although Purdue is nipping at our heals. Every time every one of those schools changed coaches they were hoping for greatness. None have found it.

Given the relatively small number of men that could perform even the basic functions of a Big Ten, or any P5 HC every coaching change is a big risk. Indeed, as my examples above demonstrate, most coaching hires fail. That is not the "worst case example". Quite the opposite, it's the most statistically likely result.

Have you ever heard the maxim "prepare for the worst and hope for the best"? Why do you suppose that became a maxim in the first place?​

Reactions: cmhawks99
That sounds pretty accurate. The question then is will the LA hipsters pay to have the BTN or will it be the native midwesterners on the coasts who will gobble it up to get any view of BIG content. The same principle applies in my thoughts anyway....If those middle states were not at the party does that then effect viewership?

If anyone can remember back that far, the initial fight was over whether BTN was part of the base package as opposed to an "add on." BTN wouldn't let any provider include the channel unless it was part of the base package. Pretty sure that they insisted upon it if the provider was in the BTN footprint.

If it is part of the base package for providers in LA, you'll have millions paying about $7-$10/year to BTN whether they watch a single minute of coverage.

If anyone can remember back that far, the initial fight was over whether BTN was part of the base package as opposed to an "add on." BTN wouldn't let any provider include the channel unless it was part of the base package. Pretty sure that they insisted upon it if the provider was in the BTN footprint.

If it is part of the base package for providers in LA, you'll have millions paying about $7-$10/year to BTN whether they watch a single minute of coverage.
Bingo.

Reactions: cmhawks99

That will have some effect, but not nearly as much as it did 10 years ago as streaming service is replacing cable and satellite at an exponential rate. Location doesn't matter nearly as much.

Oh, I understand - I understand that you think a school giving up its football program and voluntarily leaving the B1G 80 years ago is equivalent to the B1G booting out NW today, and that you think U of Chicago is still part of the B1G Academic Alliance, both of which are wrong.
They were part of the CIC until it changed names and they moved on, the point doesn't change. NW will be voted out of the conference, but it will be publicly packaged as a graceful retirement. At some point, you have to be realistic with members of an organization. When one organization brings absolutely nothing to the table and it only siphons resources from the productive, that relationship is on borrowed time.

They were part of the CIC until it changed names and they moved on, the point doesn't change. NW will be voted out of the conference, but it will be publicly packaged as a graceful retirement. At some point, you have to be realistic with members of an organization. When one organization brings absolutely nothing to the table and it only siphons resources from the productive, that relationship is on borrowed time.
When NW is voted out of the B1G, I will come here and praise your foresight.

Until then, I'll just consider you an idiot for thinking it's going to happen.

Fair?

Reactions: hawkcub
Brian Ferentz has been successful at everything he's done.
he's a very likable guy.
he will guarantee things are kept the Iowa way.

if you are not a fan of Brian Ferentz, you are not a fan of Iowa football.

Brian Ferentz has been successful at everything he's done.
he's a very likable guy.
he will guarantee things are kept the Iowa way.

if you are not a fan of Brian Ferentz, you are not a fan of Iowa football.
Not sure if serious.
Either there's some extreme sarcasm going on here, or you and I have very different definitions of "successful" and "likable."

That will have some effect, but not nearly as much as it did 10 years ago as streaming service is replacing cable and satellite at an exponential rate. Location doesn't matter nearly as much.
Even if it’s something like YouTube TV carrying the network. We are paying for it. It’s been quite a while that we have had YouTube Tv so I can’t recall if there were separate offerings with sports package or not. I thought maybe it was in the base package, but I could be wrong. Even if people leave a Mediacom and pick up YouTube tv they still rake in the cash.

Wait until ND joins the conference, we aren't going to have 17 teams.

I think the end game is one governing body, similar to the NFL with divisions. How many teams will be involved and divisions? Not sure, but have a feeling there will be no Big Ten, SEC, etc….for college football down the road. There will be protected rivals for schools, that will play each other every year to preserve some sort of tradition. Division winners and wildcards in the playoffs. The super college football league will be able to name its price with networks and streaming services.

I think the end game is one governing body, similar to the NFL with divisions. How many teams will be involved and divisions? Not sure, but have a feeling there will be no Big Ten, SEC, etc….for college football down the road. There will be protected rivals for schools, that will play each other every year to preserve some sort of tradition. Division winners and wildcards in the playoffs. The super college football league will be able to name its price with networks and streaming services.
I think you're right, but I do think there will still be a B1G and SEC, if for no other reason to try clinging to a semblance of college football tradition. But a governing body of some sort, that's basically dictated by those two conferences, seems pretty realistic.

Point?
That is exactly why the ucla ad started the discussion with usc.
He’d have one sellout every 2 years (when they played usc). Usc would have 1 - ND or UCLA..
They needed osu, um, iowa, wiscky, Psu, nebby,etc and their alumni.
It’s also hotter than hell right now in Southern California and the rest of the Southwest. Even the most ardent fans aren’t going to tolerate 110+ temps for four hours, especially for a college game in an area dominated by pro sports.

Not making excuses for UCLA but the students aren’t back yet and they play an hour away from campus. It’s just an odd deal. They only averaged like 42K last year in attendance. Obviously joining the Big Ten will really help them as I’m guessing so many people will want to take in an away game at the Rose Bowl as opposing fans.

Reactions: nick614
Not making excuses for UCLA but the students aren’t back yet and they play an hour away from campus. It’s just an odd deal. They only averaged like 42K last year in attendance. Obviously joining the Big Ten will really help them as I’m guessing so many people will want to take in an away game at the Rose Bowl as opposing fans.
You are correct
Win-win is overused but the usc and ucla to the big 10 is.
Hilarious a nebby troll would say they shouldn’t join.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT