ADVERTISEMENT

UCLA/USC to B1G?!?!?!

LOL Iowa isnt being kicked from the conference. The only team I could see the Big Ten asking to step down would be Northwestern and even then, I don't see that happening either.
LOL! Hey, Wildcats, take your elite academics and $15 billion endowment to some other poor conference. You don't sell enough sports tickets. Oh, and don't forget to take with you those 9 Div-1 team national championships you've won the past 20 years.

Silly, just like Aurora. The B1G is one of the key players in this thing, and they aren't going to "kick out" Iowa, an AAU university with a $3B+ endowment. GMAFB.
We haven't seen any team get kicked out of any conference so I wouldn't expect it to happen. We are talking about teams leaving for another super league.

I'm not sure how, after what we have seen the last 20 years, that would seem implausible. It seems like the obvious conclusion to me.

What did we get last year from the big ten and how much will we be getting with this new tv deal?
Shouldn't be an issue "financially" if all the teams are getting 90 mil per year just from TV revenue......

Don't forget that athletic departments are now competing against NIL Collectives for donor money. I had a conversation with someone very close to the Michigan Collective and learned that they were looking at building a $30M-$40M "foundation" just to stay competitive with what they envisioned other "power players" would have at their disposal.

No team is getting kicked out of the B1G. Some may leave on their own, but WHY? The gig is pretty damn good.

LOL! Hey, Wildcats, take your elite academics and $15 billion endowment to some other poor conference. You don't sell enough sports tickets. Oh, and don't forget to take with you those 9 Div-1 team national championships you've won the past 20 years.
It'd be like the University of Chicago situation. They are a small private school that doesn't add $$$ to the conference and their academic reputation and endowment are irrelevant to the calculus.

No team is getting kicked out of the B1G. Some may leave on their own, but WHY? The gig is pretty damn good.
I wouldn't say that for sure but Iowa isn't even close to being one of them. Just listen to Gene Smith's comment about USC joining, he said it is another team to help carry the weight because all of the teams aren't doing that. He also talked about how he was about to leave the conference if it didn't change it's opinion about playing in 2020.

• Haha
Reactions: BBHawk
Lol at Iowa being kicked out of the B1G. Iowa is right up there with Wisconsin and Penn State with TV ratings and budgets annually. Iowa definitely carries the state itself, but the fanbase extends into Omaha, St Louis, MSP, and Chicago. Kinnick Stadium is one of the elite atmospheres in college football. There isn't anything to worry about there.

One thing to really keep in mind here: while TV markets are important, this deal with USC/UCLA doesn't work very well if this league pairs them with bottom half type teams like Rutgers or Maryland that happen to have huge media markets nearby but aren't very good.

Ideally you want an Iowa-USC type matchup to take advantage of the sizzle and the steak, the sizzle being LA's huge media market, but the steak is a matchup that viewers care about because of the quality of the team, the venue, and passionate fans. This recipe can be repeated with Michigan State, Wisconsin, Penn State, Nebraska, etc, and you've basically printed 9 games that have 3.5 million viewers or more, which is really the standard that networks want out of a college football game and make for these big media deals that has driven the success of the league.

I can't emphasize this enough, the middle tier of this conference is what has driven the financial success of this league. Michigan and Ohio State don't look down at the Iowa's and Wisconsin's in this league I can assure you of that.

I wouldn't say that for sure but Iowa isn't even close to being one of them. Just listen to Gene Smith's comment about USC joining, he said it is another team to help carry the weight because all of the teams aren't doing that. He also talked about how he was about to leave the conference if it didn't change it's opinion about playing in 2020.
Gene Smith doesn't run the B1G.

well everything they've done the past few years seems to be based on nothing but tv money and population? has it not?
Sure,BUT as someone posted earlier even the big boys have to have a schedule and they want to have games they think they will be highly assured wins. Thats why its unlikely Braska, Minny, Indiana, Purdue, NW get dropped either. To me Iowa is almost in the perfect spot with this. The big boys might consider Iowa a high probability win, BUT we've been competitive enough the last several decades on the field to make it of interest both to our opponents, and to the networks. A home game at Kinnick is college football at its finest. The Iowa vs PSU game last season was one of the highest rated games of last season for viewership, and was great theater, right down to the final. Iowa isn't going anywhere. We're everyman, for the TV viewer.....

The Sports Money to be made here is pennies compared to the Academic Alliance the Big Ten shares with each other. If you think they are kicking out schools you are off your rocker 😂.

A Super League for Football could make MILLIONS. Kicking smaller current Big Ten schools would cost the universities BILLIONS.

Iowas AD the past few years has been close to to the top in conference in success overall and we are talking about getting booted? Come on now lol

The B10 won't eliminate any schools. It'll get larger before it shrinks. As others have mentioned the big dogs in the conference still want a schedule that has 75% of the games to be winnable and 25% of their games to be competitive to make their strength of schedule to look good.

The big dogs have nothing to gain if their schedule is made up of mostly other big dogs.

Sure,BUT as someone posted earlier even the big boys have to have a schedule and they want to have games they think they will be highly assured wins. Thats why its unlikely Braska, Minny, Indiana, Purdue, NW get dropped either. To me Iowa is almost in the perfect spot with this. The big boys might consider Iowa a high probability win, BUT we've been competitive enough the last several decades on the field to make it of interest both to our opponents, and to the networks. A home game at Kinnick is college football at its finest. The Iowa vs PSU game last season was one of the highest rated games of last season for viewership, and was great theater, right down to the final. Iowa isn't going anywhere. We're everyman, for the TV viewer.....
Do you honestly think that coaches wanting to pad their stats is going to get in the way of schools making twice as much money?

Money is driving this whole thing.

It's why Texas and Oklahoma went to the SEC. They had a competitive advantage in the Big12. USC had a competitive advantage in the Pac12.

They are leaving because they will make more money in the new conferences. A lot more money.

Welcome to the Woodshed.

Enjoy the 2 minute video of the last time we played USC.

Nick Niemann absolutely outran USC‘s wide receiver… I mean put space between him & and he was moving and coming up from behind him and still couldn’t catch him.

i’ll be honest I do get super tired of hearing how vanilla and basic we are on defense and that we are just “sound “ We have a lot of big-time athletes on defense,,,linebacker defensive line and D-back all and we have for a long time!

The fantasy of Iowa getting booted from the B1G is one of the more ridiculous coping mechanisms I've seen.
Once again, you respond to a real world possibility with just a stupid insulting piece of snark. The guys above are speculating on a very unknowable future. They don't deserve your 13 y/o sarcasm. They're not "coping" they're engaged in reasonable and respectful discussion of the very strange new world of college professional athletics.

None of us know what the NIL and the realignment of teams into ever larger and top-heavy conferences will bring to every corner of the football table. There is a very realistic scenario in which Iowa, Minnesota, NW, Illinois, and Rutgers could readily be booted from the "Big 32" because the suits have developed a new economic model and institutional configuration that looks better without all or any of those schools. Do you think "league loyalty" would mean anything if the money was better? Such institutional loyalty as might exist would be readily displaced if the TV and streaming services want one or more schools gone.

I don't know how old you are or what you do for a living but if you haven't learned the real Golden Rule of Life, you should probably have a guardian. He who has the gold makes the rules. Just the known realignment possibilities put billions of dollars at play. What do you think would happen if the Big Ten could trade Utah USC, UCLA, Cal and Oregon for Iowa Minnesota, Illinois, Rutgers and Northwestern and makes another billion with a b for the rest of the Big Ten? Our asses would be out the door in a ****ing heartbeat is what would happen because money talks, bullshit walks and in the world of commerce everything but money is bullshit.

Once again, you respond to a real world possibility with just a stupid insulting piece of snark. The guys above are speculating on a very unknowable future. They don't deserve your 13 y/o sarcasm. They're not "coping" they're engaged in reasonable and respectful discussion of the very strange new world of college professional athletics.

None of us know what the NIL and the realignment of teams into ever larger and top-heavy conferences will bring to every corner of the football table. There is a very realistic scenario in which Iowa, Minnesota, NW, Illinois, and Rutgers could readily be booted from the "Big 32" because the suits have developed a new economic model and institutional configuration that looks better without all or any of those schools. Do you think "league loyalty" would mean anything if the money was better? Such institutional loyalty as might exist would be readily displaced if the TV and streaming services want one or more schools gone.

I don't know how old you are or what you do for a living but if you haven't learned the real Golden Rule of Life, you should probably have a guardian. He who has the gold makes the rules. Just the known realignment possibilities put billions of dollars at play. What do you think would happen if the Big Ten could trade Utah USC, UCLA, Cal and Oregon for Iowa Minnesota, Illinois, Rutgers and Northwestern and makes another billion with a b for the rest of the Big Ten? Our asses would be out the door in a ****ing heartbeat is what would happen because money talks, bullshit walks and in the world of commerce everything but money is bullshit.

You seem to care an awful lot about what I think.

Do you honestly think that coaches wanting to pad their stats is going to get in the way of schools making twice as much money?

It's why Texas and Oklahoma went to the SEC. They had a competitive advantage in the Big12. USC had a competitive advantage in the Pac12.

They are leaving because they will make more money in the new conferences. A lot more money.

This. This. And this.

The suggestion that ADs are goingbto eschew injections of tens of millions of dollars in their budgets because they are afraid of disappointing football records seems … ummm … off.

There isn’t a single “power” program that doesnt believe that it cannot compete on the highest level.

It’s. A. Giant. Money. Grab.

Reactions: Fan In Black
You seem to care an awful lot about what I think.
No, just tired of smart asses that come out here and just attack the other posters with sarcasm or insults and nothing else.

Just don't be such a dick. You must have some ideas about these topics, share your thoughts. If you can't see the Big Ten ever kicking out Iowa then explain the facts and reasons upon which you base that conclusion. If you can only think of personal type attacks or snark then you really don't need to say anything because that shit just hurts the sensitive and angers the aggressive, and I'm the aggressor type. No other poster deserves personal attacks until they attack you first. I didn't attack you, but you got personal right off the bat. Those guys above sure didn't attack you but you felt the need to insult them too.

Leave the personal attacks to the wife beaters and prison guards and the snark to jr high students. Engage in intelligent discourse. You really will feel better about yourself.

Think about what I said. Truce?

• Haha
Reactions: natchrlman

No but even on your new reality these coaches and schools will still need to WIN games or there will be issues. The endgame many are describing is a handful of the very rich and powerful schools breaking away for the bigger money grab. What will they have then? 6-8 schools playing each other twice every year and then the same teams in some kind of watered down playoff? I fail to see how thats going to appease a national TV viewer once the dust settles.....

Reactions: Floyd_Of_Rosedale
This move makes me wonder if Texas will be regretting their decision to go to the SEC. The SEC works great for them for athletics but the academic side of the university must be kicking themselves over a missed opportunity. Imagine if the next move after USC/UCLA was to pull in ND, Texas, Washington, and one more school like UNC/Virginia/Stanford/Oregon. (Oregon is the odd duck in that list as the only Big Ten school that is worse academically is Nebraska)

That would be a super conference that spans most of the country bringing in massive endowments.
ND $18BB
USC $8BB
UCLA $4.6BB
Texas - a large portion of the Texas-wide system’s $42BB
Washington $4BB

Stanford $37.8BB
Virginia $10.5BB
UNC $5BB
Oregon $750MM (like I said, the odd duck in the group)

Reactions: bumpstock
Thats another interesting point. OSU needs to keep winning 10-12 games a year so do they really want to push out all those teams?
I’ve heard several analysts I consider to be well-connected make this exact point. Every conference, even a 20-team B1G or SEC juggernaut, needs several solid but not title-contending teams to balance itself out.

I’d be absolutely stunned if Iowa is left outta the party in my lifetime (I’m 41). Now, does that mean we have to get used to 1-2 more L’s each year and lower odds of winning the B1G? Honestly, probably. But it ain’t like we were winning those on the reg anyhow, so IMO it’s worth it to remain up with the big boys.

Stuff like this is exactly why I just can't get upset about NIL. All the old guys are doing everything they can to destroy the sport, tons of traditions, make travel absolutely ridiculous for the athletes, and all to chase the almighty dollar.

I look at a USC/Rutgers matchup where tennis players are going to be flying cross country and you want me to get upset about some kid getting 100k or something? I just can't do it.

For the record I can't blame anybody involved in any way.
4hr plane ride > 8hr bus ride

I’ve heard several analysts I consider to be well-connected make this exact point. Every conference, even a 20-team B1G or SEC juggernaut, needs several solid but not title-contending teams to balance itself out.

I’d be absolutely stunned if Iowa is left outta the party in my lifetime (I’m 41). Now, does that mean we have to get used to 1-2 more L’s each year and lower odds of winning the B1G? Honestly, probably. But it ain’t like we were winning those on the reg anyhow, so IMO it’s worth it to remain up with the big boys.

Honestly I agree, nobody is getting kicked on on any reasonable timeframe. Seems like a ridiculous thing to be wringing your hands about.

As to the endowments thing... I don't think that's meaningful at all. The whole calculus is what money athletic programs can bring to the conferences. It's not like anybody is sharing endowment money. Nobody cares that LSU has an endowment that's like 200 million.

Honestly I agree, nobody is getting kicked on on any reasonable timeframe. Seems like a ridiculous thing to be wringing your hands about.

As to the endowments thing... I don't think that's meaningful at all. The whole calculus is what money athletic programs can bring to the conferences. It's not like anybody is sharing endowment money. Nobody cares that LSU has an endowment that's like 200 million.
Regents, chancellors, and presidents do care about endowments, at least in the Big Ten. They typically want to make sure their university is associated with peer institutions that help the prestige of their school. Nebraska was at least excusable when they joined because they still had AAU status, but are an outlier in the conference today.

It'd be like the University of Chicago situation. They are a small private school that doesn't add $$$ to the conference and their academic reputation and endowment are irrelevant to the calculus.
Please tell me you're not that naive. If you don't think those things are as important or more important to the B1G chancellors and presidents than sports, then you should not participate in any further discussion.

What situation was that? When the U of Chicago abolished football in 1939? When they left the Big Ten in 1946? You really think that the draw to their sports teams was the issue? LOL!

ISU dude actually posts something that makes sense....

As to the endowments thing... I don't think that's meaningful at all. The whole calculus is what money athletic programs can bring to the conferences.
...and then "makes up for it."

Let's get dumb. 4 team playoff for the B1G Champion

Big Ten West
USC
Oregon
UCLA
Arizona
Arizona State
Colorado

Big Ten North
Wisconsin
Iowa