ADVERTISEMENT

Uh oh he gone

baddog25

HR All-American
Aug 6, 2018
Per the front page Wirfs offensive lineman of year in BIG. I know, I know we already knew that but this probably etches it in stone.

Reactions: Hawkeye_Pride06
I love this attitude of "for the good of the team". Have you ever passed a promotion up, or finding another job "for the good of the team"?
I'm with you on this.
If he grades at first round, then leaving and getting paid is the right call.
He's already given "for the good of the team". It's been a mutually beneficial relationship. He got from the U and he gave plenty in return.

As much as I would love for him to stay I think he is gone. If he and AJE both go that means 6 underclassmen drafted from the Hawkeyes roster the last two years. 4 in the first round. Has to be a great recruiting tool I would think

Front page of yahool.com college football tab has a mock draft with Wirfs a 3 pick to the Redskins and Epenesa a 6 to the Lions...that would be pretty sweet

I can see Wirfs, Jackson, and AJE staying and I can see them all going. If all of them stay I wouldn’t rule out a strong season next year and even a Potential Upset in CBUS. As much of a loss as all of them are I think we can somewhat replace AJE with Craig looking like a beast. It’ll be tough to replace those tackles though. Wirfs and Jackson are up there with the Bulagas, Gallarys, and Scherffs we’ve had.

Front page of yahool.com college football tab has a mock draft with Wirfs a 3 pick to the Redskins and Epenesa a 6 to the Lions...that would be pretty sweet
Makes perfect sense...Washington & Detroit both have experience drafting Hawkeyes in the 1st Round.

Reactions: ctghawk
As much as I would love for him to stay I think he is gone. If he and AJE both go that means 6 underclassmen drafted from the Hawkeyes roster the last two years. 4 in the first round. Has to be a great recruiting tool I would think

It is a great recruiting tool but also pretty detrimental to developmental program like Iowa. See Iowa’s TD production this year vs last year after losing two TE’s to the NFL as an example.

I love this attitude of "for the good of the team". Have you ever passed a promotion up, or finding another job "for the good of the team"?

Flawed analogy. Words “promotion” and “job” imply you’re getting paid already.

Better analogy have you ever been in college having a great time with your buddies, it’s still early in the night, and that girl you’ve been thinking about texts saying “Wanna meet downtown?” With just the right emojis.

Well, it’s pretty much a sure thing. But you’re having so much fun with your bros. Hell, she’ll still be down there in an hour or two right?

Maybe. But **** happens. Maybe that was your chance you blew it.

Less than a year from now the tackle from Mount Vernon, Iowa, will have several millions of dollars in his bank account.

I would prefer he stay at the UI for his senior year, but it is his call. Can't fault him either way :).

Reactions: Easthawk36
Flawed analogy. Words “promotion” and “job” imply you’re getting paid already.

Better analogy have you ever been in college having a great time with your buddies, it’s still early in the night, and that girl you’ve been thinking about texts saying “Wanna meet downtown?” With just the right emojis.

Well, it’s pretty much a sure thing. But you’re having so much fun with your bros. Hell, she’ll still be down there in an hour or two right?

Maybe. But **** happens. Maybe that was your chance you blew it.
She’s not worth the pain bro... you’ll find somebody else

King his junior year was graded out as a 4th-7th rounder he did not hurt his draft stock coming back.. just because you win a college award doesn’t make you a first round pick.. the same flaws the nfl saw his junior year prevented him from going higher his senior year... but they missed the one thing that matters he is flat out a competitor

King his junior year was graded out as a 4th-7th rounder he did not hurt his draft stock coming back.. just because you win a college award doesn’t make you a first round pick.. the same flaws the nfl saw his junior year prevented him from going higher his senior year... but they missed the one thing that matters he is flat out a competitor
Just like Geno Stone.

Iowa has had 6 early entry draft picks the past 2 years. This year it looks like 2 or 3 more.

I read the rest of the Big Ten West has had 4 total early entries during that same time.

Is that accurate about the rest of the west?

From the Gazette feature this past summer on him, his mom has worked her butt off to provide for him and his sister. Holding off on the opportunity to provide for his family for another year is going to be tough to do. So much $ involved. That's gotta factor in whether either of them want it to or not. Can always complete his degree in the off season.

From the Gazette feature this past summer on him, his mom has worked her butt off to provide for him and his sister. Holding off on the opportunity to provide for his family for another year is going to be tough to do. So much $ involved. That's gotta factor in whether either of them want it to or not. Can always complete his degree in the off season.
Finances of course are a HUGE factor for anyone considering leaving early for the Draft. I presume this would be a Family decision, and since they are relatively local, and may be having the time of their lives watching Tristan at Iowa, maybe they are willing to sacrifice for another year?

I would think if he got 1st Round NFL Draft grades, that is information you could take to an Insurer and a Banker and make it work if you really wanted too. (maybe I'm making it sound easier than it really is, but where there's a will there's a way, especially with $Millions in play here)

The kid is already the Big Ten Offensive Lineman of the year. That's a bankable award in and of itself, IMO.

IMO, he should go Pro, but I'm not him or his Family. The kids been a great Hawkeye, that's for certain.

I hope. You have to wonder though, as close as the Hawks have been the last couple of years, if those players would have put Iowa, (a developmental program) over the top. Losing 6 high level NFL draftees going into their senior year is a killer for the program. Hopefully we'll continue to see the uptick in recruiting and make this a moot point in years too come. If we get to the reload, not rebuild mode then its all good...

Reactions: 24 so far
WIrfs is B1G offensive lineman of the year. But, Tyler Biadasz is an Outland finalist at Wisconsin. It's always interesting to see the differences of opinion when it comes to post season honors. Last year, Hock won the Mackey Award. But wasn't a consensus All-American tight end. Or even a first teamer. Weird.

IMO AJE, AJ, and Wirfs all go and get the money they have earned. Its life changing money and too much to just roll the dice on. Any of them could be done with football in an instant. If that does happen they will have plenty of $ to live out the rest of their lives.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT