ADVERTISEMENT

UK Inflation Hits 11.1% - for Food it's 16.4%

Nov 28, 2010
Maryland
Even higher in Italy and Germany.

“In October 2022, households are paying, on average, 88.9% more for their electricity, gas, and other fuels than they were paying a year ago,” the ONS said.

Damn that Biden.

Another GQP talking point down the 🗑
I like the threads wherein people make clear as day that they don’t understand what causes inflation, here or anywhere.

Bank of England:

-1x-1.png

Federal Reserve:

-1x-1.png

European Central Bank:

FI1ETaZXoAAr-aj

Reactions: CeeTeeHawk1
We have to be buying something for the billions we’re sending over there?
Yea, a Russian defeat
I heard on BBC this week that our outlay to Ukraine has hit $80 billion. Not broken down by military vs humanitarian vs other.

I wonder how much of that is US corporate profit, political kickbacks, and other corruption?

I like the threads wherein people make clear as day that they don’t understand what causes inflation, here or anywhere.

Bank of England:

-1x-1.png

Federal Reserve:

-1x-1.png

European Central Bank:

FI1ETaZXoAAr-aj
Correct me if I'm wrong but those charts all look very similar.

You need to correct for axis distortions to see this more clearly. Notice, for example that our chart starts at $4 trillion, whereas the other 2 start at zero. And the European chart does not go into 2022. Plus the time scale makes the Euro rise look much steeper.

When you make those adjustment and use the same starting point - say 2020 - the similarities become fairly clear.

That said, I don't know what it proves other than that the US, UK and EU have been going through serious problems and the the US and UK (but not necessarily the EU) seem to be leveling off.

To the head of the class!
That said, I don't know what it proves other than that the US, UK and EU have been going through serious problems and the the US and UK (but not necessarily the EU) seem to be leveling off.
It proves that central banks growing their balance sheets will create inflation. The UK and the EU (and Turkey, and whomever else you want to examine) doing the same stupid thing have the same stupid results.
Ergo, pointing to countries taking on new government debt hand over fist like Pelosi-Schumer-Trump-Biden have insisted doesn’t absolve them, it damns them.

They import a lot of their food. Lots of multipliers involved to make it bad.

Last edited:
They're more liberal than us, not surprising. They're more reliant on Russian oil too, which drives up the cost of everything.

Reactions: Finance85

You need to correct for axis distortions to see this more clearly. Notice, for example that our chart starts at $4 trillion, whereas the other 2 start at zero. And the European chart does not go into 2022. Plus the time scale makes the Euro rise look much steeper.

When you make those adjustment and use the same starting point - say 2020 - the similarities become fairly clear.

That, and any correlation between the US chart and the UK chart vis-a-vis inflation seems suspect. Similar trends...radically different outcomes.

So, what policies can Biden implement to fix the UK's inflation? I mean, since he's evidently the cause of inflation, right?

Reactions: fsu1jreed
Yes, he did. He invaded Ukraine and the world responded. That he thought we wouldn't is on him.
Give me a break. The US forced the embargo issue with Europe, with not so thinly veiled noise about having to sacrifice, and the US making up the shortfall in supply.

Have those sanctions worked? Putin is simply using China as a middleman, driving up prices. There's theory, and there's reality. Reality is Europe is suffering with energy prices even more than the US.

So, what policies can Biden implement to fix the UK's inflation? I mean, since he's evidently the cause of inflation, right?
UK has their own currency, so Biden can’t fix their inflation.
He does have the means the affect inflation in our currency, by eschewing the policies currently embraced here (and over there) of massive deficit spending sopped up by central banks printing money to buy it.

Give me a break. The US forced the embargo issue with Europe, with not so thinly veiled noise about having to sacrifice, and the US making up the shortfall in supply.

Have those sanctions worked? Putin is simply using China as a middleman, driving up prices. There's theory, and there's reality. Reality is Europe is suffering with energy prices even more than the US.
You're broken. There was zero assurance that NATO would stick together. Your buddy Vlad counted on it. Your "reality" requires that Putin be allowed to do whatever he likes with no repercussions. Who else gets the benefit of your policy?

Reactions: fsu1jreed
ADVERTISEMENT