ADVERTISEMENT

Umbrella Academy: Season 2

On episode 4 of Season 2. Struggling with it. When every main character is dumb and irrational it’s hard to cheer for anyone.

On episode 4 of Season 2. Struggling with it. When every main character is dumb and irrational it’s hard to cheer for anyone.

They were that way in season one (how did you make it through?), I think they've been far better this season actually. I always holdoff my Not Watch a Season recommendation till I've got 1 full watching and then a rewatch on half the episodes.

Say what you want about this series, but it's completely different from most comic book/hard comic series and it has, by far, the very best song for scene selection for any limited series/series out there. Every episode this season has at least one EXCELLENT scene/song selection AND one VERY GOOD scene/song selection (a few episodes were even better). The first season was pretty good plot wise, but this season is far better........I guess that's just me. k they've been far better this season actually.

Say what you want about this series, but it's completely different from most comic book/hard comic series and it has, by far, the very best song for scene selection for any limited series/series out there. Every episode this season has at least one EXCELLENT scene/song selection AND one VERY GOOD scene/song selection (a few episodes were even better). Th

Oh and for those that give a shit, I finally got a date for my final surgery (Aug 13th)......thank god, because I'm a few months past sanity for being bed bound (though I will admit the sanity prior is iffy). I ran out of things to watch a couple of months ago, for reference, I've watched all of my favorites at least 2 times, with most of those have been 3 times. Oh and since I've now seen it twice, GOT has now moved up in my top 3 of series (Season 7 is the best season of any series I've watched)..........and I've seen 65+ series/limited series. Though, ~50 of those coming just since I started streaming AND MRSA returning in January of 2019.

I haven't finished the Season 2 yet, but I love this show. One of my favorites. I'm really enjoying Season 2, maybe more than Season 1.

We'll see how it finishes. The third act of Season 1 eventually just wore me out a little bit. Like many shows, I think they'd benefit more from being a limited run series. Even at 10 episodes, S1 seemed like it could have left a little on the cutting board and been a little tighter.

I just love the characters, the style, the music, the tone. Even forgiving some narrative or pacing shortcomings, I love the feel of the show.

They were that way in season one (how did you make it through?), I think they've been far better this season actually. I always holdoff my Not Watch a Season recommendation till I've got 1 full watching and then a rewatch on half the episodes.

Say what you want about this series, but it's completely different from most comic book/hard comic series and it has, by far, the very best song for scene selection for any limited series/series out there. Every episode this season has at least one EXCELLENT scene/song selection AND one VERY GOOD scene/song selection (a few episodes were even better). The first season was pretty good plot wise, but this season is far better........I guess that's just me. k they've been far better this season actually.

Say what you want about this series, but it's completely different from most comic book/hard comic series and it has, by far, the very best song for scene selection for any limited series/series out there. Every episode this season has at least one EXCELLENT scene/song selection AND one VERY GOOD scene/song selection (a few episodes were even better). Th

Oh and for those that give a shit, I finally got a date for my final surgery (Aug 13th)......thank god, because I'm a few months past sanity for being bed bound (though I will admit the sanity prior is iffy). I ran out of things to watch a couple of months ago, for reference, I've watched all of my favorites at least 2 times, with most of those have been 3 times. Oh and since I've now seen it twice, GOT has now moved up in my top 3 of series (Season 7 is the best season of any series I've watched)..........and I've seen 65+ series/limited series. Though, ~50 of those coming just since I started streaming AND MRSA returning in January of 2019.

Thats great news on getting any surgery set, esp being "final". Clearly, your sanity needs help, you just mentioned the song to scene selection twice. :)

I do agree, I really noticed that in E4, there were a couple that I really liked, and going back to review, they do a good job across the board.

Reactions: fsu1jreed

Glad to hear about your surgery!

As far as comic book superhero series to watch, I preferred these shows in this order (I’m listing out in case you missed any):

1) The Boys
2) Daredevil
3) Watchmen
4) Doom Patrol (now on HBOMax where people can actually see it)
5) Legion
6) Jessica Jones
7) Defenders
8) Preacher
9) Harley Quinn
10) is where I would put Umbrella Academy, just ahead of the second tier mostly CBS shows like Flash, Arrow, Stargirl, Supergirl, The Tick, Legends of Tomorrow, Titans, Krypton, The Punisher, Agents of Shield, Runaways, Luke Cage, Black Lightning and Cloak and Dagger. All of which are better than unwatchable trash like Gotham, Inhumans, Pennyworth, Iron Fist, the Gifted, Batwoman, etc...

Thats great news on getting any surgery set, esp being "final". Clearly, your sanity needs help, you just mentioned the song to scene selection twice. :)

I do agree, I really noticed that in E4, there were a couple that I really liked, and going back to review, they do a good job across the board.

Good catch on song, etc...................and hell, S2:E1 earned a positive rating for just
Luke Slywalker
, if you didn't laugh out loud there then I question one's sanity

10) is where I would put Umbrella Academy, just ahead of the second tier mostly CBS shows like Flash, Arrow, Stargirl, Supergirl, The Tick, Legends of Tomorrow, Titans, Krypton, The Punisher, Agents of Shield, Runaways, Luke Cage, Black Lightning and Cloak and Dagger. All of which are better than unwatchable trash like Gotham, Inhumans, Pennyworth, Iron Fist, the Gifted, Batwoman, etc...

I have to separate The Gifted seasons 1 and 2. I really enjoyed season 1, but would agree season 2 was crap.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Question?

Was Jim Crow really that prevalent in Texas

As far as comic book superhero series to watch, I preferred these shows in this order (I’m listing out in case you missed any):

1) The Boys
2) Daredevil
3) Watchmen
5) Legion
6) Jessica Jones
7) Defenders
8) Preacher
9) Harley Quinn

I finished Season 2 last night. Loved it, by far my favorite off all the shows listed here, although I haven't watched Doom Patrol or Harley Quinn. Haven't read any of the comics for any of them, except Watchmen, so I have no take based on how faithful or not it represented the work.

I would probably put Legion and Preacher after that, in terms of really digging them, mostly for the same reasons...they were different, and irreverent and a good mix of humor and heart. But both of them lost me in the second seasons...they just didn't keep my interest in the narrative enough. I guess I might go back to them.

Watchmen had a lot of high quality stuff in it, definitely a good show, but I thought the run to the finish was underwhelming and beneath what they'd set up.

I thought The Boys was all right, but I kind of just got through it. A little too cynical for me. At this point with edgy/deconstructing take on superheroes thing, just seems like that has been done much better by other things, from the original Watchmen to Deadpool to Umbrella Academy. I just feel like it didn't have enough on top of that, just really hung its whole reason on "See, our Captain America is an asshole!" which is about 10 years past being gripping on its own. I needed more within that framework and just didn't get it I guess.

I got through some of the Netflix Marvel shows, and other than the fight scenes in Daredevil, the overall impression of them was that they were just pretty dull and self-serious. I liked the Defenders the best as kind of an Avengers-lite thing I guess.

Reactions: noleclone2

1) The Boys
2) Daredevil
3) Watchmen
5) Legion
6) Jessica Jones
7) Defenders
8) Preacher
9) Harley Quinn

I concur with The Boyz, but where's The Punisher? I thought it was pretty good, even with the sucky 2nd season

I concur with The Boyz, but where's The Punisher? I thought it was pretty good, even with the sucky 2nd season

So I would have Umbrella Academy about 10th in my list of Superhero shows mainly because Ellen Paige almost ruins it for me. She is totally unlikeable even though she’s supposed to be the main person you’re rooting for. The black actress playing Allison is also pretty weak as well. Fortunately the rest of the cast varies from good to truly exceptional (Five, Klaus, The Handler/Kate Walsh, the Professor/the Monocle, Cha-Cha/Mary J Blige, and Hazel) and the plot is pretty interesting.

As far as the Punisher went, I couldn’t really get into the series. I enjoy the actor and thought he did well in Daredevil and the Defenders but I just didn’t care for the standalone series because of the plot. I’d have it somewhere in around 15-25.

Reactions: fsu1jreed and Moral
So I would have Umbrella Academy about 10th in my list of Superhero shows mainly because Ellen Paige almost ruins it for me. She is totally unlikeable even though she’s supposed to be the main person you’re rooting for. The black actress playing Allison is also pretty weak as well. Fortunately the rest of the cast varies from good to truly exceptional (Five, Klaus, The Handler/Kate Walsh, the Professor/the Monocle, Cha-Cha/Mary J Blige, and Hazel) and the plot is pretty interesting.

As far as the Punisher went, I couldn’t really get into the series. I enjoy the actor and thought he did well in Daredevil and the Defenders but I just didn’t care for the standalone series because of the plot. I’d have it somewhere in around 15-25.

You had me at Ellen Paige almost ruins it, I just don't like her in this. For any number of reasons. I do think 5 and Klaus do a good job. Overall thou, it was just good for me, but watching some of the rest of the shows that are bad, helps boost a "good" show up. Defenders and Iron Fist, meh. Ended up turning Defenders off.

But you lost me at the Punisher and the Boys. I love the dark aspect of both. And what I liked about The Boys, it is EXACTLY how I would expect supes to behavior. Power corrupts and that is definitely how I see a real supe behaving with a couple exceptionally noble people who buck the trend. The Homelander does an amazing job at capturing the two-faced behavior.

I finally got thru the 2nd season last night. Overall I'd rate it as slightly lower in quality than the 1st season.

Klaus remains the character I bounce back and forth the most on. There are times I like him a lot, and other times he drives me nuts (which is probably the point to some extent).

I liked Vanya (Ellen Page) a bit more this season than the 1st.

Without spoilers, I'm very curious what happens involving the Professor with his reveal and then the culmination of the season 2 finale.

And what I liked about The Boys, it is EXACTLY how I would expect supes to behavior. Power corrupts and that is definitely how I see a real supe behaving with a couple exceptionally noble people who buck the trend. The Homelander does an amazing job at capturing the two-faced behavior.

I loved about 95% of The Boys - they just had a couple of times where they went a bit too far. For example, the Peeping Tonight scene where Homelander is using his x-ray vision to spy on Elisabeth Shue while she was breastfeeding. They gave us enough examples of his creepy nature and their twisted relationship that I didn't need to see that.

Reactions: funksouljon
I loved about 95% of The Boys - they just had a couple of times where they went a bit too far. For example, the Peeping Tonight scene where Homelander is using his x-ray vision to spy on Elisabeth Shue while she was breastfeeding. They gave us enough examples of his creepy nature and their twisted relationship that I didn't need to see that.

Well, ever since she wasn't my babysitter, I've wanted to see her boobs, so I disagree. :)

I think it really was to show just how creepy and vile he is, but you are right, we get it, you can stop driving it home! I bet they could have removed other parts and left the breastfeeding scene in, cause thats exactly the type of thing someone like him would do. Especially with his projected oedipus complex for her, but in general the creepy sexual deviant nature and doing things like watching women in changing rooms, etc.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Okay, I went back and binge watched season 1 and 2, and I think Season 2 moved into top 10ish for me.

Edit: I agree that Ellen Page is terrible in both seasons (though a little more in Season 1), what happened to the great young actress from Hard Candy?

Last edited:

So guessing you didn't enjoy Season 2, Episode 1 at 22:41 ?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT