ADVERTISEMENT

Un-solved killings thread.

lucas80

HR King
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2008
I was driving through Waterloo last week and I am always reminded of Lyric Cook and Elizabeth Collins when I see the signs for Evansdale. A few minutes later I took the turn to head north and saw the sign for Greenhill Road and was reminded of Micalla Rettinger. Laura Van Wyhe's murderer remains a mystery, and has been discussed here. The Vilsica murders remain unsolved, but discussed here.
This is not a focused thread, but as HROT's future is a bit cloudy I have wanted to revisit some topics, and this is fresh in my mind.
Even the killings in Maquoketa remain a bit of a mystery. We know who did it, but not why?
What killings tug at your memory as an Iowan, or even a Nole?
Side note, why does my laptop still auto correct to note over Nole after all these years?

The Summit street robbery murder of the Clover Leaf Farm Store. Owner shot dead on Sheridan Street in front of an acquaintance's home. Bakery there now I think...

Georges Buffet. Pretty sure I worked with the guy who killed him...

Last edited:
The Lyric Cook/Elisabeth Collins killings still bug me. They found their remains, so they have some physical evidence. Yet they never said what the cause of death was. Just amazing they were unable to solve this one.

The Summit street robbery murder of the Clover Leaf Farm Store. Owner shot dead on Sheridan Street in front of an acquaintance's home. Bakery there now I think...

Georges Buffet. Pretty sure I worked with the guy who killed him...

Do tell on the George’s Buffet case, please.

Paula Oberbroeckling was a dead ringer for Sharon Stone.

This is the case that’s really bothered me for decades:

I went to school with Connie Ruddy right before she was murdered. I had a good friend that used to tell people that he did it but he was full of shit. No one was ever arrested.

I remember at the time she had a sleazy douchebag boyfriend that was mixed up with drugs and never thought twice about ripping people off. I'm pretty sure he was involved or his dealers were.

Bit of a famous one here in Tallahassee. Lot of people know who did it just never had enough to arrest.

If any of you haven't seen this footage, it's of Jerry Burns' first interview in regard to his cold case murder of Michelle Martinko. After almost four decades. It's nice to see reality weighing down on him.

I just watched this with my fiancee (no pics) a few days ago (last week, I think?). I remember hearing about it growing up but still chilling to know I went to Westdale a bunch as a kid before it got deserted. Probably parked where she did when she was killed. Incredible.

I just watched this with my fiancee (no pics) a few days ago (last week, I think?). I remember hearing about it growing up but still chilling to know I went to Westdale a bunch as a kid before it got deserted. Probably parked where she did when she was killed. Incredible.

I did too. It was a lot of fun to go there just to walk around with friends.

Not an Iowa case, but my mom (no pics) is a cousin or second cousin or somehow related to Timmothy's father. His family believes it has to be the mother who was involved somehow.

It had to be crushing when that fraud came forward a few years ago claiming to be him

I remember one night at the Deadwood the guy sitting next to me confessed to killing a bunch of people. We were both drunk and laughed it off, but sometimes I wonder.
Things that never happened to me for $400, Alex

Also, I don't want to get too personal but a couple who were some of my mom's closest friends while I was growing up had a daughter go missing when she was 15, and I was 14. They're still searching for her. I'm not sure if I'd rather her be extinguished or alive at this point, considering what probably comes with her being alive but missing for 21 years now. I've grown to love this couple as my aunt and uncle, and her step-mom calls me her kid that's not her kid because of our relationship being so close.

I hope she's just ran away and is living the dream on some island, but know that probably isn't the case.

I was in a jail cell with a young guy who says he'd been incarcerated with another guy previously who admitted to the murder I was in prison for. When I told the warden about this (I had a connection to the guy because I did everyone's taxes in the prison), they had my cellmate unceremoniously executed and claimed he was trying to escape. Had to hatch a plan to escape, ended up digging a tunnel over the course of a couple decades, swam through the sewage of the prison and came out the other side a free man. Met my buddy I met in prison down in Mexico a few years later.

I was in a jail cell with a young guy who says he'd been incarcerated with another guy previously who admitted to the murder I was in prison for. When I told the warden about this (I had a connection to the guy because I did everyone's taxes in the prison), they had my cellmate unceremoniously executed and claimed he was trying to escape. Had to hatch a plan to escape, ended up digging a tunnel over the course of a couple decades, swam through the sewage of the prison and came out the other side a free man. Met my buddy I met in prison down in Mexico a few years later.

You should write a screenplay about your story, Ehhh, probably wouldn’t be a good movie, Never mind.

I'm kind of surprised the Tammy Zywicki case has gone unsolved.

I’ve posted this before, but I met her at a party in Grinnell. I knew some volleyball players and they were having a party for several of the teams on campus. My GF and I sat next to her on a couch for quite awhile talking. The next Summer I looked at the front page of the DMR and saw her picture on the cover and wondered why she was in it. She was a joyful person, even meeting her and talking for just a few hours she stuck out.

I’ve posted this before, but I met her at a party in Grinnell. I knew some volleyball players and they were having a party for several of the teams on campus. My GF and I sat next to her on a couch for quite awhile talking. The next Summer I looked at the front page of the DMR and saw her picture on the cover and wondered why she was in it. She was a joyful person, even meeting her and talking for just a few hours she stuck out.
Pic of GF.

In 1993, 12-year old Jennifer Odom disappeared after getting off her school bus; her body was found a week or so later in a nearby orange grove.

This happened in my small hometown; I know her parents & a lot of her family quite well. Her murder has never been solved, and likely never will be.

Hard to believe this one was never solved. Did they ever even have a suspect?
There was no sign of a struggle, assault or robbery, so the theory is it was someone she knew or a professional hit. Some guy, a fellow realtor I believe, who allegedly had a romantic interest in her was found dead of an apparent suicide months later, but there was never any evidence he was the killer.

A wild theory going around was that the guy’s suicide wasn’t actually a suicide. Rather, he too was murdered but it was staged to look like a suicide so that people would connect the dots and assume he killed her. The tinfoil hat crowd believed Ashley (and perhaps the guy) knew or saw something they shouldn’t have known or seen. Ashley was dating a member of the prominent Grubb family.

Also, I don't want to get too personal but a couple who were some of my mom's closest friends while I was growing up had a daughter go missing when she was 15, and I was 14. They're still searching for her. I'm not sure if I'd rather her be extinguished or alive at this point, considering what probably comes with her being alive but missing for 21 years now. I've grown to love this couple as my aunt and uncle, and her step-mom calls me her kid that's not her kid because of our relationship being so close.

I hope she's just ran away and is living the dream on some island, but know that probably isn't the case.

My parents are really good friends with her grandparents. Such a sad deal.

Reactions: Cougar63
A couple of years ago a young farmer up in Tama County was shot dead in his own home in the early morning - I wonder if it will ever be solved.

Reactions: HawkMD
A couple of years ago a young farmer up in Tama County was shot dead in his own home in the early morning - I wonder if it will ever be solved.

If this was just Unsolved Mysteries and not Unsolved Killings, your medallion story would be right up there!!

Reactions: ironside1
I thought they identified him? Some dude named Poste?
Im not sure they ever positively ID the guy. Poste was a potential suspect I believe
I always thought the main suspect was a guy named Leigh Allen?
Either way it was quite the story

Reactions: fredjr82
I was driving through Waterloo last week and I am always reminded of Lyric Cook and Elizabeth Collins when I see the signs for Evansdale. A few minutes later I took the turn to head north and saw the sign for Greenhill Road and was reminded of Micalla Rettinger. Laura Van Wyhe's murderer remains a mystery, and has been discussed here. The Vilsica murders remain unsolved, but discussed here.
This is not a focused thread, but as HROT's future is a bit cloudy I have wanted to revisit some topics, and this is fresh in my mind.
Even the killings in Maquoketa remain a bit of a mystery. We know who did it, but not why?
Side note, why does my laptop still auto correct to note over Nole after all these years?
Being a native of Tallahassee since '59 there is one still unsolved case that most any longtime native remembers and that is the Sims family murders in either '67 or '69. Both parents and their two youngest children were murdered in their home (still standing btw) The eldest daughter was spared having been out on a date.

Jo
Johnny Gosch and Eugene Martin. I was a press citizen paperboy during that time frame.

Reactions: gamedayron01
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT