ADVERTISEMENT

Un-solved killings thread.

The Jodi Huisentruit case still baffles me 25 years ago as far as Iowa cases go.
Also nationally I would have to say the Zodiac killings in SFO in 1968-1969 were always something that intrigued me.
I had met and interacted with Jodi, when she worked at KGAN in CR. Nice lady, fairly easy on the eyes, shy and had that thick up north accent. I still feel bad for her. That John Van Sice guy seemed to be a real f tool.

Reactions: the24fan
Jo

Johnny Gosch and Eugene Martin. I was a press citizen paperboy during that time frame.
So was I. Talk about a different era. Not only a kid delivering papers, but a kid going door to door with a money bag collecting subscription money, and giving out the little stubs for receipts. Then taking the money downtown to pay the ICPC in person.
I don't know if the murders alone changed that, but I remember my mom or dad following along as I delivered papers after they happened.

Reactions: GOHOX69

This is the last person seen with the person I referenced earlier in the thread, Erin Pospisil. Solves one killing and probably leads to the solving of Erin's disappearance. I'm ****ing devastated tonight. Tell everyone you can you love them. Life is precious.

So was I. Talk about a different era. Not only a kid delivering papers, but a kid going door to door with a money bag collecting subscription money, and giving out the little stubs for receipts. Then taking the money downtown to pay the ICPC in person.
I don't know if the murders alone changed that, but I remember my mom or dad following along as I delivered papers after they happened.
I used to help my buddy with his globe gazette paper route in Mason City, back in day. His younger brother would split the route and deliver the remaining papers by himself. This was in the era of the DMR Gosch/Martin disappearances.

One time, my buddy and I finished our portion and headed back to his house. His younger brother had not returned. We waited about 10-15 minutes and then went to look for him. No sign of him anywhere. We notified my friend’s parents and then they start driving around their neighborhood looking for him. Still no sign.
They notified the police shortly thereafter. panic now starting to set in.
After a few hours, he is finally found at the local arcade. He decided to head there right after his route without going back home.
The incident made the local news that night with references to the DMR disappearances.

Yep. He was grounded for a while.

Still don’t know what he was possibly thinking.

• Wow
I was driving through Waterloo last week and I am always reminded of Lyric Cook and Elizabeth Collins when I see the signs for Evansdale. A few minutes later I took the turn to head north and saw the sign for Greenhill Road and was reminded of Micalla Rettinger. Laura Van Wyhe's murderer remains a mystery, and has been discussed here. The Vilsica murders remain unsolved, but discussed here.
This is not a focused thread, but as HROT's future is a bit cloudy I have wanted to revisit some topics, and this is fresh in my mind.
Even the killings in Maquoketa remain a bit of a mystery. We know who did it, but not why?
What killings tug at your memory as an Iowan, or even a Nole?
Side note, why does my laptop still auto correct to note over Nole after all these years?
For whatever reason, I was thinking about the Micalla Rettinger killing. Hard to believe nothing has ever surfaced on this. So very sad and random. Like winning the inverse lottery.

• Sad
For whatever reason, I was thinking about the Micalla Rettinger killing. Hard to believe nothing has ever surfaced on this. So very sad and random. Like winning the inverse lottery.
I have posted this before, but I knew her and her then boyfriend. I have biked/ran where she was shot hundreds if not thousands of times. I still have a very hard time believing it was random. It’s honestly a miracle that they all didn’t die. Shot through the neck traveling over the Cedar, the bullet passed through her and into his jaw, and she was somehow able to pull over before she passed, sparing the lives of 2 men and a dog. Beautiful, smart girl with an engaging personality.

I also knew the parents of Elizabeth Collins. No way in hell that wasn’t drug related. No fvcking way.

I am fairly certain it was a single person out hunting raccoons or just pissing around, and they know they killed her. Unless that person ever comes forward I think they are going to get away with it. I acknowledge there is a small chance that someone fired off a round, and has never found out that they killed someone.

Did they ever solve the murder of that des Moines realtor? I believe she was shot during a showing?

Did they ever solve the murder of that des Moines realtor? I believe she was shot during a showing?
I have never seen any follow up on that one. That's the kind of profession that can lead to women being in vulnerable spots. Weird though with realtors having all those connections and communications that could have been tracked, or the proliferation of cameras in property developments and even in unoccupied houses.

I have never seen any follow up on that one. That's the kind of profession that can lead to women being in vulnerable spots. Weird though with realtors having all those connections and communications that could have been tracked, or the proliferation of cameras in property developments and even in unoccupied houses.
I think with ring and nest etc, these days things hopefully have changed. Also, showings these days have 2 minimum people.

Reactions: Tenacious E
I am fairly certain it was a single person out hunting raccoons or just pissing around, and they know they killed her. Unless that person ever comes forward I think they are going to get away with it. I acknowledge there is a small chance that someone fired off a round, and has never found out that they killed someone.
Idk how bullet trajectory works, but they were crossing the Cedar on a bridge. A bullet would have to have somehow gone over over the concrete bridge wall and dropped to hit her, assuming the shot was fired from the ground. There were some rumors about harassment by an older creep at their place of employment but Idk how much truth to that there is.

This is a dumb question, but don’t they have etchings in gun barrels to trace bullets to a gun owner?

This is a dumb question, but don’t they have etchings in gun barrels to trace bullets to a gun owner?
I know you aren’t asking me, but if it was random, which I find hard to believe, that person would have to be overcome with guilt for them to be found. If you ever cross that section of 218 going over the Cedar, a shot fired from the ground would make no sense to you. At least it doesn’t for me.

Reactions: Tenacious E
Idk how bullet trajectory works, but they were crossing the Cedar on a bridge. A bullet would have to have somehow gone over over the concrete bridge wall and dropped to hit her, assuming the shot was fired from the ground. There were some rumors about harassment by an older creep at their place of employment but Idk how much truth to that there is.
There were other people in the car. I don't know how another vehicle could have pulled up and a shot fired and that part of it never being made public. I drive through there several times a year, and will be going through there on Friday. Do they know exactly where the shot came in from?
It's bizarre. I don't shoot anymore, but I've had shots ricochet pretty wildly in the woods. I stand by my belief that someone knows they did it. Someone was out there shooting and heard what happened, and have kept it to themselves.

There were other people in the car. I don't know how another vehicle could have pulled up and a shot fired and that part of it never being made public. I drive through there several times a year, and will be going through there on Friday. Do they know exactly where the shot came in from?
It's bizarre. I don't shoot anymore, but I've had shots ricochet pretty wildly in the woods. I stand by my belief that someone knows they did it. Someone was out there shooting and heard what happened, and have kept it to themselves.
Not impossible but as a non gun person I can’t give you an honest answer. If they know where the shot came from it hasn’t been divulged publicly.

And yes, there were two men in the car and a dog. The shitty thing will all of these stories is that there is no closure for friends/family. I can’t imagine sending my daughter from the KC area to CF to play softball and have it end of like this. Just sickening.

• Sad
Reactions: GOHOX69 and lucas80
I’d think a stray bullet from a distance could quite easily be on a flattish or downward trajectory as it crossed the bridge.

I’ve always thought it was likely some dipshit firing at something in the water and a round might have skipped, similar to what this dipshit does in the video.

Not necessarily classified as murder, but Johnny Gosch. Seemed to be the first time something like that actually put parents on edge. Can still remember them talking about it.

40 years later and still no answers.
Marc Allen and Eugene Martin too.

There's a good website called Iowa cold cases. Amazing, how many are there. Poor families, each and everyone.

FYI, if you watch Paula Zahn investigates, she's come to Iowa and covered a fair few, including in Coralville and Cedar Rapids.

Reactions: gamedayron01
Not impossible but as a non gun person I can’t give you an honest answer. If they know where the shot came from it hasn’t been divulged publicly.

And yes, there were two men in the car and a dog. The shitty thing will all of these stories is that there is no closure for friends/family. I can’t imagine sending my daughter from the KC area to CF to play softball and have it end of like this. Just sickening.
If someone did this on purpose, that person is a hell of a shot. My guess is also that is was some random dipshit hunting or just screwing around.

Bumping this thread with some great news - this morning they made an arrest in the young girl's murder that I mentioned in Post #29. Piece of Shit is already in prison for a similar crime in which he left the victim for dead (but she was found alive). He was caught through DNA evidence that was matched a few years ago to his son (who's also in prison).

Arrest in 1993 murder...

If someone did this on purpose, that person is a hell of a shot. My guess is also that is was some random dipshit hunting or just screwing around.
I am not familiar with this bridge but in the darkness could there have been someone standing on the side of the bridge and shooting at the first car that goes by randomly?

This is my neighbor directly across the street. While she has not been confirmed dead, HIGHLY unlikely she is going to be found alive. It's been over three years. Zero leads.

I have met some very interesting characters during the past seven months on my quest to not drink. One in particular claims to have witnessed something pretty disturbing and then helped cover it up. I didn't ask any other questions after he told me that.

Not sure if anyone caught NPR yesterday but they had a professor on from ISU. He talked about the number of unsolved killings in the states estimating 250,000-300,000 and more specifically, Ted Bundy. The professor suspects his killing spree started long before ‘74, traveling the country and preying on hitchhikers. It was very, very fascinating.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT