ADVERTISEMENT

UNC with the Dr. Tom fold!!!

Not sure how old everyone is and I don't know who Roy is but I can say this.

I had a flashback to the 87 Elite 8 game while watching Kansas chew up NC's lead. It was just like reliving that painful memory all over again.

For me 1970 and 1980 were both horribly sad endings that I still remember all to well.

But that 87 game. CRIPES!!! That 87 GAME!!! That's the one that angers me the most of any Iowa loss. Heart Breaking.

Unfortunately, I'm sure many NC fans will feel this one for a long long time as well.

I had a flashback to the 87 Elite 8 game while watching Kansas chew up NC's lead. It was just like reliving that painful memory all over again.

For me 1970 and 1980 were both horribly sad endings that I still remember all to well.

But that 87 game. CRIPES!!! That 87 GAME!!! That's the one that angers me the most of any Iowa loss. Heart Breaking.

Unfortunately, I'm sure many NC fans will feel this one for a long long time as well.

I did not watch the Final 4 or the Championship game because it involved proven cheating programs.

But you are 100% right. Iowa fans who were around vividly remember that game 35 years ago where Iowa blew a 16 point half time lead (58-42).

One thing I had forgotten about: Iowa led UNLV by as many as 19 (54-35) at one stage.

Imagine if Hawkeye Report had been around back then. Tom Davis and that team would have been destroyed on here.

I did not watch the Final 4 or the Championship game because it involved proven cheating programs.

But you are 100% right. Iowa fans who were around vividly remember that game 35 years ago where Iowa blew a 16 point half time lead (58-42).

One thing I had forgotten about: Iowa led UNLV by as many as 19 (54-35) at one stage.

Imagine if Hawkeye Report had been around back then. Tom Davis and that team would have been destroyed on here.
I remember reading the only available thing to read at the time - the newspaper.

The day after was devastating, just reliving the game over and over again mentally.

So in looking for something to summarize, I think it was an Iowa City based paper, I don't remember which one.

The columnist simply said, in effect, "..that may have been the best chance Iowa had to win the NCAA tournament in a long time..". And wow, unfortunately that turned out to be spot on.

I remember reading the only available thing to read at the time - the newspaper.

The day after was devastating, just reliving the game over and over again mentally.

So in looking for something to summarize, I think it was an Iowa City based paper, I don't remember which one.

The columnist simply said, in effect, "..that may have been the best chance Iowa had to win the NCAA tournament in a long time..". And wow, unfortunately that turned out to be spot on.
I couldn't watch sports center the next week in fear I might see a highlight of the Iowa-UNLV game. Or any other basketball highlight.

Welcome to the club! How we pissed away that lead against UNLV is embarrassing. That was 35 years ago in the Final 8 and haven’t been better since. Shit program for 35 years beginning with the Dr. Tom fold!
Can’t read your crap any more. Block. You need to be on meds dude

Reactions: PIEPI

What made it worse was that they destroyed the eventual champion, Indiana earlier in the year.

• Sad
Reactions: Franisdaman
I'm with you, Fran. I did a personal boycott for the same reason. First time in more decades than I wish to count that I missed my favorite sporting event of the year. Just sick of certain programs getting to play by different rules. I would have loved it if there had been a national boycott, but I suspect the average basketball fan doesn't know how badly those program cheat and I would bet not a negative word was uttered by the broadcasters during those games. Sports journalism at it's best!

You're a ****ing dandy.
tTl3JoX.gif

Iowa beat eventual National champion Indiana twice in 1981.
And we lost to the Shockers! That year along with when we lost to UNLV after being up big time hurt.. Indiana won it that year as well and we split wit them during the regular season.

And we lost to the Shockers! That year along with when we lost to UNLV after being up big time hurt.. Indiana won it that year as well and we split wit them during the regular season.
I looked it up to refresh my memory regarding details, and I see that the Hawks were ranked #13 and seeded third. They had a first-round bye - must have been a 48-team tournament, before expansion to 64 - and led the Shockers by 11 at the half before losing 60-56.

Never mind the loss to UNLV, Roy should put the "shit program" tag on Lute and make it 41 years long.

Welcome to the club! How we pissed away that lead against UNLV is embarrassing. That was 35 years ago in the Final 8 and haven’t been better since. Shit program for 35 years beginning with the Dr. Tom fold!
Lol. You actually edited that shit three hours later?

I’m beginning to worry a little about you, Outrage Roy. I think the puss oozing out of that infected gorilla 🦍 ass has started seeping into the emotional regulation part of your brain.

They still get it 35 years later.

Reactions: EIHCGuy

I recall

You must be a miserable person to be around.

Reactions: PIEPI

Dr Tom would have deserved it.

Best team in history of Iowa basketball

Always enjoyable to read about people complaining about cheaters and then fondly remembering the 1986-1987 Iowa basketball team.

Dr Tom would have deserved it.

Best team in history of Iowa basketball
Oh IDK. Would he have gotten credit for leading by 19? Nah - the players did that. The coach is only responsible for the bad things, amirite? ;)

If I recall, UNLV tried some sort of zone defense against the Hawks in the first half, and then junked it and went back to their normal suffocating man-to-man in the second half. Hawks put up 23 pts in the second half. Marble was 3-11 for the game with 4 turnovers.

Just a deeply depressing game.

ADVERTISEMENT