ADVERTISEMENT

Under the Banner of Heaven (HULU, book by Jon Krakauer) and Keep Sweet: Pray and Obey (Netflix)

l.todd

HR MVP
Dec 21, 2004
I read the Jon Krakauer book Under the Banner of Heaven a few years ago and found it fascinating. Basically followed 3 story lines: the beginning history of Mormonism, the history of the Fundamentalist Latter Day Saints (the Rules and Warren Jeffs sect, which was heavily in the news in the mid 2000s) and a specific murder case that occurred out there and involved the sect. It is interesting how one man, Joseph Smith, who most people would have thought was crazy with his visions, was able to cultivate what eventually became what I believe is the fastest growing religion in the world, despite it's many oddities. Haven't watched the Under the Banner of Heaven miniseries yet, but stars Andrew Garfield, and he is usually pretty good, so I suspect it will be interesting. Keep Sweet: Pray and Obey is a documentary on the FLDS and in particular, Rulon and Warren Jeffs. Man, you talk about some weird ish. It is amazing what teachings someone will follow. Anybody see either of these or read the book? The book really details the history of the church, including some very sordid events (the Mountain Meadows Massacre) which details the very violent beginnings of the religion.

Reactions: BelemNole
I read the Jon Krakauer book Under the Banner of Heaven a few years ago and found it fascinating. Basically followed 3 story lines: the beginning history of Mormonism, the history of the Fundamentalist Latter Day Saints (the Rules and Warren Jeffs sect, which was heavily in the news in the mid 2000s) and a specific murder case that occurred out there and involved the sect. It is interesting how one man, Joseph Smith, who most people would have thought was crazy with his visions, was able to cultivate what eventually became what I believe is the fastest growing religion in the world, despite it's many oddities. Haven't watched the Under the Banner of Heaven miniseries yet, but stars Andrew Garfield, and he is usually pretty good, so I suspect it will be interesting. Keep Sweet: Pray and Obey is a documentary on the FLDS and in particular, Rulon and Warren Jeffs. Man, you talk about some weird ish. It is amazing what teachings someone will follow. Anybody see either of these or read the book? The book really details the history of the church, including some very sordid events (the Mountain Meadows Massacre) which details the very violent beginnings of the religion.
Great book, will watch the series.

I know a number of Mormons, but none of the extreme ones. They’re mostly good people, just a bit clannish.

It must be nice to have a built-in free labor force. Anytime my neighbors need some big yard work project done they have a whole crew show up and knock it out in a day. I guess like a modern-day barn raising.

Reactions: BelemNole
I know a number of Mormons, but none of the extreme ones. They’re mostly good people, just a bit clannish.

It must be nice to have a built-in free labor force. Anytime my neighbors need some big yard work project done they have a whole crew show up and knock it out in a day. I guess like a modern-day barn raising.
Must work for them. I believe they are the wealthiest religious group in the country.

I started watching the series but thought it wasn’t anything like the book so I stopped. I liked the book but it has been a long time since I read it.

ADVERTISEMENT