ADVERTISEMENT

Under-the-radar food joints in Eastern Iowa (particularly the I-380 Corridor). Suggestions wanted.

It’s really been good. I allow myself to eat fish when in Canada but then has only been once since I started. There are a lot of good options out there and it has helped me eat more fruit. I already ate a lot of veggies but yeah, I put a lot of thought into it for various reasons but it has been good. Prior to all of the Covid bullshit when we would be invited here or there people make me something different to eat which wasn’t necessary. I don’t force my agenda on others it’s just the lifestyle I want to live. I don’t begrudge others for their eating habits. I bet Roscoe’s makes a mean veggie pizza.

How much protein do you eat per day and what's your primary source?

I've never be curious enough to look it up, but I've often wondered if some folks become protein deficient when they first become vegan.

Will try. Can’t imagine it beats Siamville though. Best restaurant in CR.

I've heard good things about Siamville but haven't been there. Since Nara is so close to work I order lunch there frequently or use to when we were in the office. Try the red curry with shrimp at a spice level of 4. Amazing if you like food a bit spicy.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
Can't believe no one mentioned Newton's in Waterloo. It's where you go for Tenderloins in the Cedar Valley. It 1/2 mile from Young arena.

For Cedar Falls I like Pump Haus better then Horny Toads. I personally don't love the places the guy who owns Horny toads owns. They are not bad but think there are better places. Whisky road is good too. They have these tables where they have taps right at the table. I love Tony's for pizza. If you're by Pepper's. I'd choose Mulligans over them. Also if you're by Walmart/Target area Zsavooz is decent.

Reactions: jellyfish10
Where does Tomasos rate in the CR Pizza ratings? I've always loved the detroit crust mombo combo but after 2 peices it's time for a nap.

Imo they have gone downhill since the early to mid 2000s.

I have only had a handful of pizzas from tomosos over the past 14 years or so (last one being last spring) and every one has been just ok. Not worth what they charge, and they apprently don’t know what a chicago style pizza is based on my last pie

Where does Tomasos rate in the CR Pizza ratings? I've always loved the detroit crust mombo combo but after 2 peices it's time for a nap.
Imo they have gone downhill since the early to mid 2000s.

I have only had a handful of pizzas from tomosos over the past 14 years or so (last one being last spring) and every one has been just ok. Not worth what they charge, and they apprently don’t know what a chicago style pizza is based on my last pie
FYI Roscoe’s is the old Tomaso’s recipe. It used to be a Tomaso’s, but their owner refused to go along with the franchise’s changes and stuck to what they were originally doing. Turned out he was right.

Reactions: dirtypool
FYI Roscoe’s is the old Tomaso’s recipe. It used to be a Tomaso’s, but their owner refused to go along with the franchise’s changes and stuck to the original. Turned out he was right.
I was thinking of getting a pizza tonite, but ended up throwing together something with the stuff i had.

might have to order one tomorrow

Can't believe no one mentioned Newton's in Waterloo. It's where you go for Tenderloins in the Cedar Valley. It 1/2 mile from Young arena.

For Cedar Falls I like Pump Haus better then Horny Toads. I personally don't love the places the guy who owns Horny toads owns. They are not bad but think there are better places. Whisky road is good too. They have these tables where they have taps right at the table. I love Tony's for pizza. If you're by Pepper's. I'd choose Mulligans over them. Also if you're by Walmart/Target area Zsavooz is decent.

Ivan.

Motown style crust is a must. Don’t mess around with anything else.

so i put an order in through uber eats. It got here and it wasn’t the deep detroit crust, just a regular thin crust pizza. I went back to the uber eats app thinking they f**ked up. Apparently i ordered wrong.
Taking out the tip and the Uber Eats fees, the pizza i got was not that good for the price charged. Ill have to phone in an order next time i think i will be close to that side of town

one pizza place i miss is Sweet Basils

so i put an order in through uber eats. It got here and it wasn’t the deep detroit crust, just a regular thin crust pizza. I went back to the uber eats app thinking they f**ked up. Apparently i ordered wrong.
Taking out the tip and the Uber Eats fees, the pizza i got was not that good for the price charged. Ill have to phone in an order next time i think i will be close to that side of town

one pizza place i miss is Sweet Basils
Ooof. Yeah, their thin crust is nothing like the Motown. Honestly, they should ditch it. I made that mistake once. Trust me on this.

Reactions: dirtypool
Ooof. Yeah, their thin crust is nothing like the Motown. Honestly, they should ditch it. I made that mistake once. Trust me on this.

i got home from work this afternoon and logged in onlineto take an exam for class.

with about 1/2 hour remaining i ordered the Motown from roscoes. It was pretty good.

I like Zoey’s (Especially their taco pizza), but the drive, wait, and inconvenience isn’t worth it when there are at least three pizza places in CR that are closer and better (1. Roscoe’s, 2. Need, 3. Bushwoods/Union Station for starters.)

Not Tomaso’s?

Understand now after reading your other posts.

Last edited:
If you are going to a Hawks game, Single Speed is a stone’s throw away from Young Arena. Good beer and excellent food. It is housed in the old Wonderbread facility.

As far as wrestling goes, Mulligans is a popular wrestling hangout as well as Pepper’s which was previously mentioned.

The BBQ joints in CF are both well liked. Starbeck’s is on University and Blue Barn is right by Pepper’s. I haven’t been to either but I know they are popular joints.

There are plenty of options downtown. Horny Toad’s is a popular spot for a sports bar. Montage is fantastic but is more of a fine dining establishment. There are two breweries and numerous other places to eat/drink before or after a wrestling meet.

js home style. best breakfast joint in cv next to morgs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT