ADVERTISEMENT

Under-the-radar food joints in Eastern Iowa (particularly the I-380 Corridor). Suggestions wanted.

Menace Sockeyes

HR Legend
Sep 2, 2010
Cedar Rapids - Just had Happy Dogs in Cedar Rapids for lunch on the SW side. The old place (Big Daddy's Dogs) was okay, but the new place is much better so far. Female owned and operated. Interesting backstory from the Gazette article I read on the wall while waiting for food. Got a 1/4 pound Nathan's hot dog, Chicago style, and quite possibly the best onion rings in CR.

Iowa City - Crepes de Luxe Cafe I stumbled across by accident looking for places to eat. Never heard of it but it was absolutely solid. My son's favorite place in IC now.

Waterloo-Cedar Falls - Need suggestions here. We are going to scratch the live sports itch with either a Waterloo Blackhawks or UNI wrestling meet up there in the coming weeks. I heard there's a good BBQ place up there, but this person could not remember the name.

Reactions: naturalbornhawk
Waterloo-Cedar Falls - Need suggestions here. We are going to scratch the live sports itch with either a Waterloo Blackhawks or UNI wrestling meet up there in the coming weeks. I heard there's a good BBQ place up there, but this person could not remember the name.

Wilbos Burgers & Brats
Whiskey Road
Morgs Diner
Starbecks Smokehouse

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
Is The Lost Cuban still open in downtown Cedar Rapids? I remember that place being good, but can’t remember if it was Cedar Rapids good, or good good.

haven’t been, but want to try
willie-rays-q-shack-deans-dip-feed-struggling-iowans-cedar-rapids-united-states-shutterstock-editorial-10780818d.jpg

Like I said: AMAZING onion rings at Happy Dogs. Do yourself a favor if you like good ones, and get over there.

Sugarfire is ok, but like QDoggs better and heard Willie Rays is also better. That said it was solid.

What did you get? Qdoggs has superior pulled pork to Sugarfire, but I prefer Sugarfire ribs.
I tried just about everything they have in the few times I’ve gone. The sides at QDoggs better as well. Again, Sugarfire is solid but there’s better options in the area. Moseleys in IC or NL and Jimmy Jacks I also would rate higher than Sugarfire.

I tried just about everything they have in the few times I’ve gone. The sides at QDoggs better as well. Again, Sugarfire is solid but there’s better options in the area. Moseleys in IC or NL and Jimmy Jacks I also would rate higher than Sugarfire.
Agree on that. The BBQ Sundae and QDogg Sammich are fantastic.

Reactions: srams21
Rodina in Czech Village is really good.

I did too. I heard the parents left it to a son who drove it into the ground
How old was the son? I think the guy that ran it wasn’t old, like 40s. Pretty sure he just moved back to Tampa area in Florida. I know someone who knows the family and will get the scoop.

How old was the son? I think the guy that ran it wasn’t old, like 40s. Pretty sure he just moved back to Tampa area in Florida. I know someone who knows the family and will get the scoop.
Could've been just a rumor. I don't claim to have any inside info. Don't even remember where I heard it

I had a damn good tenderloin at a place called Gwen's on main st. in Lisbon recently.
Rest of the menu looked like good home-made comfort food.

Has no one else on this board been the to Local Craft in CR?

If you drink craft beer, then you should be going there. They also have good food. Best cheese curds in the area.

RIP Al & Irenes.

Sorry I'm no help OP, for all the time I spent growing up in the corridor, I'm firmly entrenched in the capital city now.
Loved Al & Irene’s. Ages ago a buddy and I were there having dinner and a guy asked how the burnt end bits were. The waitress said, “If you like burnt end bits”.
That was it. A rude, non response. The food was so damn good the staff could be rude AF and you’d keep going back. .

Other solid places in cedar rapids:

The Maproom
Emil's hideaway
Third base
Chromehorse
Butcher block
Taste of India
El super burrito
Starlight
Burgerfiend

Third Base got significant water damage during the storm and water damage many times since due to incompetent roofers. I hope they are able to reopen eventually, but it will be a long time.

Reactions: ironside1
Other solid places in cedar rapids:

The Maproom
Emil's hideaway
Third base
Chromehorse
Butcher block
Taste of India
El super burrito
Starlight
Burgerfiend
CR - El Super Burrito
IC - Her Soup Kitchen, La Regia, Dandy Lion (breakfast)
El Super Burrito is probably my favorite Mexican food I’ve ever had, along with maybe Taquiera Los Magueyes and Zacatacos (both Chicago). So different. Mexican diner food. Best chicken burrito anywhere on Earth. Hands down.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT