ADVERTISEMENT

Unemployment benefits reduced under new law signed by Gov. Reynolds

Where's this cheap housing? Do these locations with cheap housing have ample jobs that pay more than 10 bucks an hour? Do those jobs offer benefits? Are there actually houses for sale (that are actually affordable/livable)?

I checked my hometown's listings (SW Iowa). There are 16 houses for sale. 8 of those have 1,250 square feet or more (9 have 1,000 sqft or more). One of those 9 houses is under $100,000, is 122 years old, and looks to need quite a bit of work on the outside and at least some on the inside (it looks to be livable, but definitely needs work). The next cheapest house that is 1,000sqft or bigger is $142,500. The ethanol plant is offering $23/hr. The new math teacher might make as much as $38,000/yr. Most jobs seem to be maybe $12-15/hr, if that.

This.

Areas that have cheap housing have it for a reason. It's cheap because there is little demand. There is little demand because there are few good economic opportunities available AND it is likely there is not much to do in those towns either. Not that they are bad towns but just not much there.
The DM Metro average home price is 27% lower than the US average.

Where's this cheap housing? Do these locations with cheap housing have ample jobs that pay more than 10 bucks an hour? Do those jobs offer benefits? Are there actually houses for sale (that are actually affordable/livable)?

I checked my hometown's listings (SW Iowa). There are 16 houses for sale. 8 of those have 1,250 square feet or more (9 have 1,000 sqft or more). One of those 9 houses is under $100,000, is 122 years old, and looks to need quite a bit of work on the outside and at least some on the inside (it looks to be livable, but definitely needs work). The next cheapest house that is 1,000sqft or bigger is $142,500. The ethanol plant is offering $23/hr. The new math teacher might make as much as $38,000/yr. Most jobs seem to be maybe $12-15/hr, if that.
He doesn’t know what he’s talking about. Idiot MAGA all day on here. What market range are you in? I used to be a bank teller in college and could probably refer you to a lender for a good rate. You probably need financing, right?

He doesn’t know what he’s talking about. Idiot MAGA all day on here. What market range are you in? I used to be a bank teller in college and could probably refer you to a lender for a good rate. You probably need financing, right?
See the post above yours

Not trying to pick on you but is there any actual data or evidence that shows that reducing the number of weeks on unemployment will make significant improvements?
Improvements in what? With more job openings than workers to fill them, we don’t need to be paying people to sit on their a** for half a year.

I get that, but in reality, if you lose your $50k job in Iowa and are expected to take a $30k job, why would you stay here? Plenty of states with much more favorable conditions for workers also need workers. Why wouldn't you move there?

Our education is falling, we have no parks, few tourist sites, no pro sports, crap water, and a crumby climate. At some point we have to have something to offer people to keep living here beyond QC pizza.
Nobody is forced to stay anywhere. If YOUR situation sucks, it's up to YOU to change it. Since the beginning of time.

If you don't like Iowa, GTFO and move to your personal version of Utopia. This isn't hard. (oh, and that Utopia doesn't exist, so now you've been told, do with it what you will).

Nobody is forced to stay anywhere. If YOUR situation sucks, it's up to YOU to change it. Since the beginning of time.

If you don't like Iowa, GTFO and move to your personal version of Utopia. This isn't hard. (oh, and that Utopia doesn't exist, so now you've been told, do with it what you will).
I'm simply pointing out the reality of the situation. People are gtfo. That should be something we try to avoid, not cheer on.

Hmm need hometown info/example to comment further. Parents tend to really like me, Just saying. But comparatively speaking, those numbers you just gave are a joke compared to my area- and wages are identical.

I'm not in the market at the moment.

Hmm need hometown info/example to comment further. Parents tend to really like me, Just saying. But comparatively speaking, those numbers you just gave are a joke compared to my area- and wages are identical.

What do parents have to do with anything?

What ever happened to that deal where Kim got the state sued becuase she cut off the $300 bump for the unemployeed?

Reactions: cigaretteman
If I had to hire the people that are motivated only by this legislation it would really bum me out as a business owner.

To make the state a desirable place to live? Why not?

Iowa is struggling to keep people here. So you have to ask what Iowa has to offer to draw talent from other states, or at the very least, retain talent here?
How does having people on unemployment while there are 2 jobs open to every one person unemployed make a place desirable? In my mind having people on extended government aid makes a place less desirable.

Reactions: EasyHawk
I get that, but in reality, if you lose your $50k job in Iowa and are expected to take a $30k job, why would you stay here? Plenty of states with much more favorable conditions for workers also need workers. Why wouldn't you move there?

Our education is falling, we have no parks, few tourist sites, no pro sports, crap water, and a crumby climate. At some point we have to have something to offer people to keep living here beyond QC pizza.
$30k? Many manufacturers are now hiring at $40k-$45k for anyone who will just show up everyday and do the lowest level job there and doesn’t require much skill.

Yeah, it tells me Iowa is ahead of the curve in getting deadbeats off their ass.

Something Liberals hate to see. What, we're making people work to live? This is bullshit! LOL!
Kim already tried this maneuver when she prematurely ended the $300 federal benefits. It did nothing to help fill positions. Face it. It's likely going to be a big dud.

Reactions: WheresWaldorf
How are they being pushed out? Because we don’t want to pay them not to work for 6 months? How stupid is that?

If they don’t want to work, yes please. Get the freeloaders out. Jobs are plentiful but of course you know that.

How does having people on unemployment while there are 2 jobs open to every one person unemployed make a place desirable? In my mind having people on extended government aid makes a place less desirable.
There isn’t a huge group of workers sitting on the sidelines, it’s a fiction you’ve apparently bought into. This legislation will have no effect other than pushing higher paid professionals across the state border.

There isn’t a huge group of workers sitting on the sidelines, it’s a fiction you’ve apparently bought into. This legislation will have no effect other than pushing higher paid professionals across the state border.
Really? That’s why my post says 2 jobs for every unemployed person (who’s actually in the market for a job). Thank you Mr(s). Obvious. However, there are a lot of people who left the market, but are not collecting unemployment. The point is there are plenty of jobs to fill so why pay someone 6 months of unemployment when one can find a another job. They can earn more money than unemployment offers which is better for the economy. Will it solve everything, no, may it help, time will tell.

Will have 0 effect on paid professionals unless they are enjoying time off collecting unemployment. Then they can move along. Only lazy folks wouldn’t like this change.

Really? That’s why my post says 2 jobs for every unemployed person (who’s actually in the market for a job). Thank you Mr(s). Obvious. However, there are a lot of people who left the market, but are not collecting unemployment. The point is there are plenty of jobs to fill so why pay someone 6 months of unemployment when one can find a another job. They can earn more money than unemployment offers which is better for the economy. Will it solve everything, no, may it help, time will tell.
Professional level people are not going to accept 60% of their former salary for the benefits of living and working in exciting Iowa. So long professional workforce and hello enhanced brain drain, they’ll just leave for greener pastures. I fail to see how this helps that specific situation.

The terminally unemployed that you’re referring to just jump from dead-end job to dead-end job, just long enough to qualify for unemployment again. Rinse and repeat.

Professional level people are not going to accept 60% of their former salary for the benefits of living and working in exciting Iowa. So long professional workforce and hello enhanced brain drain, they’ll just leave for greener pastures. I fail to see how this helps that specific situation.

The terminally unemployed that you’re referring to just jump from dead-end job to dead-end job, just long enough to qualify for unemployment again. Rinse and repeat.
There’s a lot more than just professional level people and jobs in Iowa.

Has anyone ever seen the data on the demographics that are "sitting on the sidelines", and how it compares to job openings?

Iowa has a major problem. Jobs will not flow into Iowa if Iowa doesn't have an available workforce. The answer is not getting people off their couches, it's keeping and recruiting talent into the state.

There’s a lot more than just professional level people and jobs in Iowa.
I’m aware of that but this legislation will cause more of the professional level workers to leave. The workers left after them are generally terminally unemployable. They just don’t GAF but know exactly how to work the system. How many employable people that you know personally are looking for a job? It’s zero for me.

Will have 0 effect on paid professionals unless they are enjoying time off collecting unemployment. Then they can move along. Only lazy folks wouldn’t like this change.
Yes let’s let our professional level high wage earners just exit. Brilliant.

You know a lot of these lazy folks? It’s a farce. I know zero people that fit your description that are employable.

Yes let’s let our professional level high wage earners just exit. Brilliant.

You know a lot of these lazy folks? It’s a farce. I know zero people that fit your description that are employable.
Then why would they leave? They have good jobs but will leave because unemployment went from 26 to 16 weeks? Nobody will do that.

Improvements in what? With more job openings than workers to fill them, we don’t need to be paying people to sit on their a** for half a year.
I don't think you understood my question. How do we know this is going to solve the problem? I don't think there are tons of people just sitting at home collecting unemployment. Heck, the unemployment rate in Iowa is super low at 2.7%. Unemployment claims in the state are the lowest they have been in over 20 years.

So, this idea that there are tons of people in this state collecting unemployment is just false. It's literally the lowest it has been in a long time. Iowa's problem is we aren't attracting enough people for these jobs.

Reactions: sober_teacher
I’m aware of that but this legislation will cause more of the professional level workers to leave. The workers left after them are generally terminally unemployable. They just don’t GAF but know exactly how to work the system. How many employable people that you know personally are looking for a job? It’s zero for me.
Professional workers aren’t leaving the state due to unemployment benefits, especially with the growth of remote work.

Reactions: EasyHawk
Has anyone ever seen the data on the demographics that are "sitting on the sidelines", and how it compares to job openings?

Iowa has a major problem. Jobs will not flow into Iowa if Iowa doesn't have an available workforce. The answer is not getting people off their couches, it's keeping and recruiting talent into the state.
There are currently only 8,100 people in Iowa collecting unemployment benefits. That is literally the least amount of people doing so in this state in over 20 years.

Reactions: ichawkeye
ADVERTISEMENT