ADVERTISEMENT

UNI (FCS teams) not off the list.

"It will be allowed..." Nobody is sayin' ya HAVE to schedule UNI, ND State, etc. But since they can, there's little doubt GB and KF will. And that's the real shame of it.

Cons: Lose/Lose game. Pay 1 mil+ just to play them. Not a lot of interest (TV and filling Kinnick). Strength of schedule takes a hit. National pundits have a field day.

Not worth having to pay 1+ mil to get an easy (on paper) win.

Reactions: anon_i8nzeu2gbf0ba
It always was crazy for Iowa to play an FCS team, UNI or whoever. But if they insist, then drop Iowa State. UNI or ND State at least would be an upgrade over the fellas from Ames.;)

This rule may one day be known as the Iowa State rule... the Big10 is just making preparations for the dissolution of the Big 12 and Iowa State's impending fall to FCS...allowing the series to continue every few years just like Iowa fans want... let this play out :)

I agree that scheduling top-tier FCS teams is lose-lose. Why not schedule a FCS bottom feeder in the middle or towards the end of the B10 league season like the SEC schools do and get an additional bye week out of it? Sucks for the fans, but gives your first-teamers more rest and more time to prepare for a big late-season game.

Reactions: Pepperman
Guess I'm one of the few that doesn't mind next years game not being our last vs uni. I've had some great times watching ia/uni!
Makes for a much more exciting game than north tx/miami oh/etc

Reactions: vgshwk and ichawk24
I agree that scheduling top-tier FCS teams is lose-lose. Why not schedule a FCS bottom feeder in the middle or towards the end of the B10 league season like the SEC schools do and get an additional bye week out of it? Sucks for the fans, but gives your first-teamers more rest and more time to prepare for a big late-season game.

Half full stadiums like the SEC gets for scheduling these bunnies isn't a good look.

No wonder their fans no show for those games. They are glorified practices...

Every time there's a scheduling thread on this board ragging on Iowa playing FCS teams, I look at typical SEC November schedules and wonder what would happen if say an LSU or Alabama scheduled a NDSU that time of year.

Once again, money talks.
Is it a money thing? An FCS opponent almost always amounts to a smaller gate. It's a home game and (theoretically) an automatic win, which spurs further ticket sales I guess. But scheduling a FBS bottom feeder does those things as well.

UNI is the perfect FCS opponent, as they draw as well in Kinnick as North Texas/MAC/Sunbelt.

NDSU, not perfect opponent.

Rumor is the Hawkeyes are close to persuading the NCAA to allow FBS schools to schedule NAIA teams.

Upside? Destroying Evergreen State College will be a joy.

If we have to play a FCS team make it UNI. I'd be OK with this happening once every 4 years. Every other year would suck. Give the state school a pay day. Yeah we run the risk of losing like we did to NDSU.

If we have to play a FCS team make it UNI. I'd be OK with this happening once every 4 years. Every other year would suck. Give the state school a pay day. Yeah we run the risk of losing like we did to NDSU.
Once the other conferences have the balls to schedule 9 conference games they can complain about Iowa playing uni. Face it it is about money as fb and bb have to fund all the other non revenue sports.

Reactions: millah_22
Once the other conferences have the balls to schedule 9 conference games they can complain about Iowa playing uni. Face it it is about money as fb and bb have to fund all the other non revenue sports.

That doesn't explain why Iowa's non-con is notoriously weaker than the schools we consider our peers.

That doesn't explain why Iowa's non-con is notoriously weaker than the schools we consider our peers.

Iowa (5 conference home games)
Wyoming (G5)
@Iowa State (P5)
North Texas (G5)

Wisconsin (5 conference home games)
Utah State (G5)
Florida Atlantic (G5)
@BYU (Independent)

Nebraska (5 conference home games)
Arkansas State (G5)
@Oregon (P5)
Northen Illinois (G5)

Minnesota (5 conference home games)
Buffalo (G5)
@Oregon State (P5)
Middle Tennessee State (G5)

Iowa State (4 conference home games)
UNI (FCS)
Iowa (P5)
Akron (G5)

Outside of Nebraska playing Oregon, I don't think the teams I consider our peers are playing anyone with a much better non-conference resume.

The post above mine answers pretty well, but I'd also submit that Iowa State sucking has been part of the recent problem. And yes, ISU fans, I'm aware that half of your teams wins from the last decade are against Iowa.

Go back and look at Iowa non-con throughout KF's tenure. More often than not Iowa played two P5 schools, a lot of the P5 schools can't say that. Most if not all SEC teams usually play a FCS school and they don't play 9 conference games now and rarely leave the south. Gets tiresome repeating facts.

Half full stadiums like the SEC gets for scheduling these bunnies isn't a good look.

No wonder their fans no show for those games. They are glorified practices...

Every time there's a scheduling thread on this board ragging on Iowa playing FCS teams, I look at typical SEC November schedules and wonder what would happen if say an LSU or Alabama scheduled a NDSU that time of year.
If they scheduled NDSU they would have to take the Chattanooga Moc's off their late season schedule.

Delaney is awesome. Sec is chasing their tails. Sec has espn. Jimbo has smash mouth football.

Hey espn if I were you.
They know one word

ALABAMA

but we are from New York.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT