ADVERTISEMENT

UNI vs. Illinois State

hawkeye ball

HR All-American
Dec 2, 2006
28-15 Illinois State. UNI is 0-7 from three. 5:00 minutes left, first half. Illinois State heading to the tournament?

Uni is nothing more than a really good midmajor. That 11 ranking is a joke. They might win 1 game in the ncaa tournament.

This post was edited on 3/8 1:51 PM by hansenhawk

Originally posted by StormHawk42:
All I have to say is that I'm glad we're not on the Bubble this year
Yep.

BTW - Its now 33-15 Redbirds.

Seems like other games have not gone well for us over the past 24 hours. I too would be very concerned if we were on the bubble.

Panthers now down by 8 early in the second. Like I said, there's a reason they play the second half.
wink.r191677.gif

12-1 run to start the second half for UNI. Right back in it. 37-34. Sigh of relief for Fighting Illini!

I about the last 7 minutes of basket ball they chipped 15 points off the deficit.

If Tuttle plays in the Big 10 or Big 12, I wonder if he gets all those fouls.

He does a great job moving his feet, but in those conference, you get bodied up a lot with no calls..

Still a fun player to watch

The Big 10 and Missouri Valley must draw from the same pool of officials.

As i watch this game, i sort of feel like tuttle and white are a bit similar. Both have to take charge of their teams and play well for their teams to succeed. Tuttle is a bit more low post of course, but they do have similarities.

Good game. Dont think Ill St is gonna pull it out tho, so bubble teams can remain happy for now.

This post was edited on 3/8 2:53 PM by hansenhawk

61-52 UNI with 1:50 left. 36-22 first half for Redbirds. 39-16 run for UNI in the second half. Crazy.

Tuttle with no fouls. Wow. 15 points, 9 boards. UNI should have it wrapped up now. MVC Champs!

Lot of bubble teams breathing a sigh of relief with uni's huge 2nd half.

Totally forgot until watching game but dean Oliver asst coach for Illinois state.

Good for UNI. Sure did not want to see a 3rd team from that shit conference. Wichita and UNI i am fine with. I am guessing UNI gets a 4 maybe a 3 and Wichita is a 5 seed.
smile.r191677.gif

It would be nice to see some love for the Mo Valley in the NIT. UNI played a really good second half. They are well coached, disciplined and smart. UNI could make some noise in the NCAA.

In the second half. The most impressive play came from Tuttle on the left block.

He received the pass. Faked left, faked right, faked left, and went right with a reverse layup... All while posted up and dribbling. I couldn't believe how quickly he moved his feet and strong he was with the dribble on that move. I don't think people realize how incredibly hard it is to make a move like that. He made it look nearly effortless. Most good posts would still lose the dribble on a move like that.

Watching that game I knew as long as UNI kept it under 20 before half they would still have a chance. Illinois State was playing way to aggressive and UNI simply wasn't hitting shots. Illinois State was racking up fouls because they were over-committing the entire game. Nothing against Nate Buss, but he isn't fast enough to beat a guy baseline and have no help unless the defense is denying to hard on M2M defense, which is what was the case. It worked in the first half, but better passing and fatigue set in the second half, which allowed UNI to draw fouls and get good looks seemingly at will.

Jeremy Morgan stepped up with a few big shots to give UNI the lead and really spark them midway through the second half.

Originally posted by ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK:
I was at this game. UNI looks the part to me. They could be a sleeper Final Four team if they get a good draw.
Its all going to come down to match-ups for UNI. While they are a very good shooting team, we saw what happens when their shots are not falling. They struggle and they made a heck of a comeback against Ill State.

I think UNI will get a good seed, but now can they handle all the pressure of being the favorite? The last time they were the under dog and now they will be picked by most people to go at least to the sweet 16.

I think they win their first game but get a tough draw in the 2nd round.

Originally posted by DavenportHawk8:

I was at this game. UNI looks the part to me. They could be a sleeper Final Four team if they get a good draw.
Its all going to come down to match-ups for UNI. While they are a very good shooting team, we saw what happens when their shots are not falling. They struggle and they made a heck of a comeback against Ill State.

I think UNI will get a good seed, but now can they handle all the pressure of being the favorite? The last time they were the under dog and now they will be picked by most people to go at least to the sweet 16.

I think they win their first game but get a tough draw in the 2nd round.
Well, Iowa State has choked as a #2 seed, Iowa as a #3 seed, and Drake as a #4, maybe UNI can get a #5 and complete the Iowa choke fest.

Originally posted by hansenhawk:
Uni is nothing more than a really good midmajor. That 11 ranking is a joke. They might win 1 game in the ncaa tournament.

This post was edited on 3/8 1:51 PM by hansenhawk
They handled the Hawks pretty well. Don't doubt they could do it again.

Lunardi has them as a 4, which I think is well deserved. But, they get kentucky in the sweet 16 if they make it that far in his bracket.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT