UNIowaHawk’s Daughter

IowaPackFan

HR All-American
Dec 30, 2006
Some of you know UNIowaHawk so maybe you already know this, but I just found out tonight that his daughter (9) passed away this afternoon.
She was diagnosed with leukemia at age 5, was in remission for a few years then it came back a few months ago and had been really bad the past few weeks.
Our daughters played some before they started school, but went into different schools and thus on different sports teams and saw less of each other. I haven’t told my daughter (9) yet, but will need to in the morning and I’m not sure how she or I are going to handle it.

hawkifann

HR Legend
Gold Member
Oct 5, 2001
Some of you know UNIowaHawk so maybe you already know this, but I just found out tonight that his daughter (9) passed away this afternoon.
She was diagnosed with leukemia at age 5, was in remission for a few years then it came back a few months ago and had been really bad the past few weeks.
Our daughters played some before they started school, but went into different schools and thus on different sports teams and saw less of each other. I haven’t told my daughter (9) yet, but will need to in the morning and I’m not sure how she or I are going to handle it.
Holy hell, that’s such awful news. I watched my dad die over the course of the month of March….I can’t imagine having to watch a child. I’ve also been really reflective over the past year because my oldest is a HS senior - there are so many firsts and lasts and big moments and memories and it‘s absolutely tragic to have it all cut so sharply, so early.

Reactions: ping72

SF HAWKEYE

HR Heisman
Gold Member
Jan 11, 2003
frustrated.gif

God I hate cancer... Praying for you UNIhawk...

tarheelbybirth

HR King
Apr 17, 2003
We have very good friends who lost their 6 year old in Nov 2020 to a rare, aggressive, and nearly incurable brain cancer called DIPG. Listening to their stories of Lucy broke our hearts. I can't imagine going through that - it's incomprehensible. All of my bad days combined aren't close. Sincerest condolences to @UNIowaHawk

Lucy's parents are now DIPG Warriors fighting for funding to research treatments for other children.

HawkeyeGenius

HR All-American
Gold Member
Nov 25, 2021
We have very good friends who lost their 6 year old in Nov 2020 to a rare, aggressive, and nearly incurable brain cancer called DIPG. Listening to their stories of Lucy broke our hearts. I can't imagine going through that - it's incomprehensible. All of my bad days combined aren't close. Sincerest condolences to @UNIowaHawk

Lucy's parents are now DIPG Warriors fighting for funding to research treatments for other children.
DIPG is incurable. It's terrible. The only thing you can do is hope to buy time with radiation. Child cancer research is extremely underfunded and not nearly enough treatment options because it's "rare" compared to adults. It's a damn shame.

fezzador

HR All-American
Sep 12, 2006
Ugh, I hate hearing news like this. I know it's not any real consolation, but she's not suffering.

And my daughter is about her age too. That's what really sucks. She was completely robbed of any chance of doing the exciting things kids go through - prom, college (and the parties that go with it), getting married, having kids... just sucks.

Reactions: UKGrad93 and ping72

WhiteSoxClone

HR Legend
May 29, 2001
So sad and unfair. Deepest condolences to him and his family. I cannot imagine the grief and anguish. Thoughts and prayers to them.

runkpanole

HR Legend
Nov 17, 2002
I’m very sorry to hear this. I have a friend who lost his eight year old to cancer about 10 years ago. I imagine nothing eases that pain.

Latest posts