UNIowaHawk’s Daughter

ping72

HR Legend
Jan 14, 2009
I’m so sorry for your loss. This mortal world really sucks sometimes.

hawkbirch

HR Legend
Gold Member
Nov 24, 2015
My youngest turned 9 on Tuesday and I can’t imagine. I’m so very sorry for your loss. Just awful.

Reactions: ping72

IowaPackFan

HR All-American
Dec 30, 2006
Got back from visitation this afternoon. Took my daughter out of school for it and gave her the day off. A lot of her classmates were there. Her little brother was there as well which was hard to see him clutching his sister’s stuffed animal. We left our son (same age) in school, but kind of regretting that now as he asked if my son was there.
Mr and Mrs. UNI were certainly down, but still meeting with people— family, friends, and coworkers. We didn’t talk much as it wasn’t the time and place and there were a lot of others there.
They aren’t doing any donations or anything and will instead donate their daughter’s horse to a program that does riding for kids with disabilities— apparently they either owned a horse outright at a stable or are buying the one she rode and donating it. Not sure and didn’t want to get into specifics.
One correction— I thought she had cancer at age 4 or 5, but that was actually something else due to her heart and completely unrelated. They didn’t learn about cancer until shortly after this past Christmas.

Chishawk1425

HR Legend
Nov 27, 2019
Got back from visitation this afternoon. Took my daughter out of school for it and gave her the day off. A lot of her classmates were there. Her little brother was there as well which was hard to see him clutching his sister’s stuffed animal. We left our son (same age) in school, but kind of regretting that now as he asked if my son was there.
Mr and Mrs. UNI were certainly down, but still meeting with people— family, friends, and coworkers. We didn’t talk much as it wasn’t the time and place and there were a lot of others there.
They aren’t doing any donations or anything and will instead donate their daughter’s horse to a program that does riding for kids with disabilities— apparently they either owned a horse outright at a stable or are buying the one she rode and donating it. Not sure and didn’t want to get into specifics.
One correction— I thought she had cancer at age 4 or 5, but that was actually something else due to her heart and completely unrelated. They didn’t learn about cancer until shortly after this past Christmas.
Prayers for all of you and my deepest sympathies.

Reactions: DFSNOLE and GOHOX69
May 27, 2010
How terribly tragic, I can't even fathom the profound loss they are feeling. I'm not much for prayers but I hope they are able to find some comfort and peace after all of this.

I thought my fears of this sort would go away once my kids became adults, but then grandkids come along and your fears are rekindled again. My sincerest sympathies to @UNIowaHawk family and friends.

OutbackBowl2017

HR Heisman
Dec 4, 2016
Sorry to hear this terrible news. Condolences to those families that have lost children to cancer or anything for that matter. Life is short, hug your kids today and tell them you love them.

Reactions: GOHOX69

Hawk_4shur

HR Legend
Jan 2, 2009
The worst heartbreak imaginable. T&P's.

My son had leukemia at 16. He survived and is now 32, but during his 5 month stay at the UofI Hospital the anxiousness was almost unbearable. If we had lost him, I really don't know what I would have done.

F*ck Cancer.

Mike Zierath

Family, football and fishing.....
Staff
Jun 3, 2002
Flower Mound, TX
Ab
Some of you know UNIowaHawk so maybe you already know this, but I just found out tonight that his daughter (9) passed away this afternoon.
She was diagnosed with leukemia at age 5, was in remission for a few years then it came back a few months ago and had been really bad the past few weeks.
Our daughters played some before they started school, but went into different schools and thus on different sports teams and saw less of each other. I haven’t told my daughter (9) yet, but will need to in the morning and I’m not sure how she or I are going to handle it.
Absolutely terrible, so, so sorry for his family.

tell her gently. Remind her of her friend, her illness and her life….that’s all I have for advice!

Mike

Reactions: Obviously Oblivious