ADVERTISEMENT

Unique thing about this game

desihawk

HR Legend
Oct 1, 2002
The score makes it seem like a defensive slugfest when in reality it showcased a lot of offense.
Lazy journos tomorrow might describe this as a slugest in cold weather when it was much more than that.
Don't recall too many such games in the cold like this one.

The score makes it seem like a defensive slugfest when in reality it showcased a lot of offense.
Lazy journos tomorrow might describe this as a slugest in cold weather when it was much more than that.
The weather likely kept down the score to some degree ... but yeah ... Minnesota's rushing game gashed us ... and our passing game to the TEs gashed them.

I think this was Spencer's best game. Only one really bad throw and a lot of really good throws. How long has it been since we could say Iowa's passing game won this one for the Hawkeye tribe.
Well, I'll agree that this was probably his best game, but he was damn lucky he didn't throw a pick 6 towards the end of the game.

I'm not sure what to think about the game plan and having Petras chucking the ball but I'm glad they dialed this up.

Well, I'll agree that this was probably his best game, but he was damn lucky he didn't throw a pick 6 towards the end of the game.

I'm not sure what to think about the game plan and having Petras chucking the ball but I'm glad they dialed this up.
not in my wildest dreams would i have put the game on petras' arm. so clearly when bf says petras is a really good practice qb he believes it.

No penalties.
i completely forgot that. key indeed to winning today.
il otoh with the false start on 4th and 1/2-yard screwed themselves out of a win at michigan. so i apprecciate the discipline in hostile terrain

He did play well most of the game. The dime to Lachey at the end was a beauty.
when he repeated took his time (to me that's any more than 2 seconds) surveying the field i couldn't believe his stupid courage...of course the line held up today

Some good set-up plays on O by the Hawks.

A few bad snaps ... so that was obviously annoying.

The long pass that just missed Ragaini ... probably should have been caught ... however, just a slightly better pass and that is a TD.

O-coaches drew up some good ideas to exploit the use of our TEs against their coverage. They're aggressive against the run ... but they were quite exploitable in coverage. Pretty impressive use of the TEs today!

Just goes to show when a guy takes himself out of the game and the guy who’s been chasing him decides it’s time to win, those p***y stats don’t matter

Some good set-up plays on O by the Hawks.

A few bad snaps ... so that was obviously annoying.

The long pass that just missed Ragaini ... probably should have been caught ... however, just a slightly better pass and that is a TD.

O-coaches drew up some good ideas to exploit the use of our TEs against their coverage. They're aggressive against the run ... but they were quite exploitable in coverage. Pretty impressive use of the TEs today!

We saw a little scratch where it itches today. Maybe the sainted John Hayden Fry was looking out for us?

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
Again…zero penalties and lotsa ground game from the goofs. That clock was was a runnin all day.

We saw a little scratch where it itches today. Maybe the sainted John Hayden Fry was looking out for us?
The game this year almost seemed like a repeat of last years game ... did just enough to come away with the victory.

It also reminded me a little bit of the 2004 game against Minnesota ... we had been a statistically elite D all season that year ... but boy did they gash us on the ground in that game. Fortunately, some heroics by Chad Greenway ... led the Gophers to get pushed back to just outside their kicker's range. They tried for the FG and missed ... and we just narrowly won!

The end of game heroics by Campbell in the game reminded me a ton of Greenway in that game.

What's impressive is that despite having such a tough all-around game ... our D never packed it in. It wasn't pretty ... but they ultimately got the job done.

I thought this game was somewhat similar to the IL game, except that in this game Campbell's INT was not 'overturned' like our IL fumble recovery/TD! ;)

He did play well most of the game. The dime to Lachey at the end was a beauty.
After watching that replay I was real impressed with both the throw and catch. Lachey slightly bobbled the catch and still managed to secure it while taking a big hit. Great play all around.

The game plan today was great. The line just can't run block. However, they did a respectable job of pass blocking, not nearly as many unimpeded shots at the QB.

Minnesota sold all out to stop our run and deep receivers. They left huge holes in TE Land, which seems an odd plan for TE U

The game this year almost seemed like a repeat of last years game ... did just enough to come away with the victory.

It also reminded me a little bit of the 2004 game against Minnesota ... we had been a statistically elite D all season that year ... but boy did they gash us on the ground in that game. Fortunately, some heroics by Chad Greenway ... led the Gophers to get pushed back to just outside their kicker's range. They tried for the FG and missed ... and we just narrowly won!

The end of game heroics by Campbell in the game reminded me a ton of Greenway in that game.

What's impressive is that despite having such a tough all-around game ... our D never packed it in. It wasn't pretty ... but they ultimately got the job done.
Well said! #18 is my favorite Hawkeye all time. Campbell reminds me of Greenway a lot. A pleasure to watch them both work!

ADVERTISEMENT